EPO's Guns in Court (Merged Threads) | Page 6 | MassCops

EPO's Guns in Court (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Hot Topics' started by Boats, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Bulldog64

Bulldog64 Guest

So back to the issue.....LAW vs Policy....State law dictates that EPOS Carry....Hack policy says give it up at the door. Good luck with that. Badge goes with firearm.....end of story.

2. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

If it were only that easy...

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The law says "may carry", the same as it does for local and state police. If the presiding justice of a court deems that no one can carry firearms in their court, then no one carries in their court.

It's up to the legislature to fix this boondoggle.

4. dh18

dh18 MassCops Member

The law (MGL ch 21a s 10c) says the director of MEP may allow an EPO to carry a weapon, it does not allow anyone else to make that decision.

I don't know of any law that prohibits a police officer on duty from carrying a weapon into a state owned public building.

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The key words are "may allow".

Absent statutory law (and it is absent), the presiding justice can make rules and regulations for court houses. If he/she decided tomorrow that no one, including state & local police, can carry inside the court house, then no one carries inside the court house.

6. OCKS

OCKS Guest

judge=god I'm sorry judge>god so they think

7. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Just certain ones....don't lump them all in together....alot of them are very down to earth, good guys....

Alot of them realize they put their pants on the same way we do, however some of them do believe they are god-like...

8. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Foxy85, agreed most are good but the bad ones really seem to stand out.

9. dh18

dh18 MassCops Member

http://www.mass.gov/courts/courtofficer-sworn-in-ceremony.html

January 23, 2008

Court Officers Sworn In at Adams Courthouse

Twenty-eight court officers were sworn in yesterday at the Adams Courthouse by Chief Justice for Administration & Management Robert A. Mulligan. The newly promoted officers had served as Associate Court Officers for periods ranging from two to thirteen years and soon will receive courthouse assignments.

"Never underestimate the importance of your role in assuring the delivery of fair and equal justice," said Chief Justice Mulligan. "As you ensure safety and security, you should consider yourselves ambassadors of the Trial Court and treat everyone with courtesy and respect.";

The court officers on Friday completed a week of training, which included courtroom and restraint procedures, defensive tactics, and a review of the Trial Court’s diversity and sexual harassment policies.

Acting Director of Security Thomas J. Connolly advised the officers to "be proud to represent a select group chosen for your attitude, work performance and attendance." He said, "The bar now has been raised and I know that you will apply your training and varied experiences to meet our great expectations."

Supreme Court Justice Robert Cordy and Superior Court Chief Justice Barbara J. Rouse also attended the ceremony. Justice Cordy presented a badge to Supreme Judicial Court Officer Jay Brinkerhoff who also completed the Trial Court's Officer training program

------------------------------------------------------------------

A week of training? Even shorter than R/I and they're considered a better source of protection for the public than a uniformed police officer?

10. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Its going to take a tragedy to occur in the Massachusetts courts, before the security of them is completely over-hauled.....Only a matter of time before someone goes to a court house and starts unleashing hell there....

Associate Court Officers/Court Officers = Bullet Catchers

11. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

I bet Securtias has more training then those guys. If you want to be a court officer so bad, go to a state where they are armed and hack your way in that way.

12. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

Wow!! A Full week?!?! :crazy:

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

No offense to court officers, but the job isn't exactly rocket science........

14. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

None taken....Most were prior law enforcement in some capacity anyway...I wish it was a few more weeks though to really hammer in the defensive tactics, sense we're not armed....

I don't think 1 weeks is enough for Joe Bloe the garbage man, who knew the right person, and got the job.....

15. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

Again, none taken.

The most important thing to do is pay attention.

Pay attention: to the disposition in the court room so when you bring the defendant back down to lock-up you're not releasing him erroniously.

Pay attention: to what's going on in the court room and (at least) try to have a general awareness (or sense) for when shit might hit the fan.

That's not too much to ask, is it?? You'd be surprised....or not....

As for the training, there needs to be more. Some of what I mentioned can be taught and then there's some people who are just never going to get it...or don't want to...

16. Mongo

Mongo New Member

Never would surrender firearm while in uniform.

First off major safety issue.

Second thankfully it is policy not to and I should hope it would be for every agency.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I had a receptionist at a psychiatric facilty ask for my gun when I went there to serve a 209A. I asked to see her LTC, and got the blank look. I then told her I would be more than pleased to let her have my gun, at which point I would arrest her for unlicensed carrying. That was the end of that discussion.

That place has DMH Police there now, so no more foolishness.

18. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Pay attention: When you are asked into the Judges chambers for that special favor.:hump:

Pay attention: When you are asked to look the other way for that political friend.:^o

That's not too much to ask, is it?? You'd be surprised.... No we wouldn't!

Some of what I mentioned can be taught and then there's some people who are just never going to get it...[/quote]

19. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

You really need to calm down Tuna, I know your love for the Court Officer's is strong, but sersiously, take a step back and stop mauling us...We have plenty of love to go around for you....C'mon please stop being so nice to us, its really starting to make me blush...

20. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

Personal preference, I don't carry a gun to Inservice or court - couldn't be bothered. Curious how many here carry to those places compared to those who don't..:confused: In over 20 years I have not needed one at either place. Granted we all know the potential for a gunman exists, but I'll continue to play the odds while off-duty - In most of the extremely rare cases where a gun was pulled by an offender in court, he took it off someone who was allowed to carry one inside...

21. Loyal, you should read On Combat and On Killing by Lt. Col. David Grossman. It might change your mind about carrying while off duty.

22. JoninNH

JoninNH New Member

Loyal, I'd really reconsider carrying off duty if I were you.

23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Or at the very least, don't carry a badge/ID or wear anything police related. If you're inside a bank or store that gets robbed, your wallet will most likely end up in the bad guy's hands. He probably won't be pleased to see a badge.

24. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

Is this guy serious??

anyway....

25. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

:jestera:
    Oh, Oh, looks like I hit a chord. It was a joke. Sorry If it hurt but one must have thick skin to play here.