Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from the Massachusetts Environmental Police website [Last updated 09/05/2001] excerpts from a message by Richard A. Murray, Director:

"...Environmental Police Officer (aka EPO, Game Warden, Conservation or Natural Resource Officer)..."
"Today's EPO is also the Commonwealth's primary enforcer of all recreational vessel laws and recreational vehicle laws and regulations as well."
"Search & Rescue has always been part of our mission..."
"Environmental Police Officers have statewide authority, equal to that of State Police Officers, and are empowered to enforce all general and criminal laws."

I hope this information is helpful (and correct). It was once explained to me that EPO's have the power to enforce a greater number of laws than State Troopers because they enforce environmental statutes in conjunction with their statewide jurisdiction. It sounds like an interesting job; is anyone on this board an EPO?

·
Registered
83 Posts
EPOs have a wide ranging job with much responsibility. They have alot of enforcement and arrest powers. They do not have Chapter 90 (MV laws) powers and it should be noted that MSP can enforce all the same laws, with same arrest powers as EPOs. That doesn't happen often as the EPO's job can be very specialized. Getting on that job now is difficult because they just aren't hiring and the test is difficult and more geared toward environmental issues. We have worked side by side w/EPOs on many searches, Molly Bish for one, and they are all top notch. Too bad their leadership is not more on board with the law enforcement mentality. rhl

·
2,297 Posts
rhl said:
. They do not have Chapter 90 (MV laws) powers and it should be noted that MSP can enforce all the same laws, with same arrest powers as EPOs.
Sgt-

Who told you that they don't have Ch 90 powers? I know the administration doesn't look kindly on them writing too many CH 90 V's but they do have the ability...

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Yeah, I've met an EPO at court for a case stemming from an CMVI... I've met a few EPO's they seem like a good bunch.

A friend of mine had also been issued a ticket by an EPO... But I don't think it helped when she asked "shouldn't you be chasing Deer or something?" :shock:

·
Registered
142 Posts
just curious..... do the S.P or E.P.O 's have primary jurisdiction in a State Forest ?
I've seen both handle different things in a local forest. ie: EPO recently investigated a motorcycle accident but I've also assisted State Police with drunken disturbances.... both have fine officers - who is responsible for what when an incident occurrs ?
local police are often called first because of proximity but then which agency should be called for any subsequent investigation ?? is there a protocol between the two agencies ?

G

·
Depending upon the type of investigation. A homicide, rape, etc would be handled by the troopers assigned to the local DA's Office, while larceny, 209a violation, misdemeanors, mv infractions, etc. would be the local barracks. Fish and Game laws, regs and that type of stuff would probaly be the EPOs, but not completely positive. As in many investigations, the MSP can and do rely upon and work with the local pd(usually, it is to the extent the want to involve themselves).

Guinness2429

·
Registered
83 Posts
I should have been more specific in my previous post. Unless it's changed, my understanding is that EPOs have Ch 90 powers only if they observe some other violation relating to their primary duties. For example, them may stop a MV with a dead deer strapped to same to check for proper tags and licenses. If some Ch90 matter arises out of this, they can write it. If I'm off base with this, someone ejimicate me, then I'll fall on my sword. rhl

I'M EDITING THIS ON 6/15/04 TO SAY I SPOKE TO AN EPO RECENTLY WHO ADVISED THEY DO HAVE CH. 90 POWERS BUT AREN'T ENCOURAGED BY THEIR HIGHER UPS TO WRITE A LOT OF TIX. PARDON ME NOW WHILE I GO AND FALL ON MY SWORD. RHL

·
2,297 Posts
rhl said:
I should have been more specific in my previous post. Unless it's changed, my understanding is that EPOs have Ch 90 powers only if they observe some other violation relating to their primary duties. For example, them may stop a MV with a dead deer strapped to same to check for proper tags and licenses. If some Ch90 matter arises out of this, they can write it. If I'm off base with this, someone ejimicate me, then I'll fall on my sword. rhl
I don't believe that is true...One of my friends is an EPO, they can stop for Ch 90. They are just encouraged not to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always figured they have chap. 90. I know I witnessed EPO SUV stop 2 cars that were racing that blew right by me only to find that the next 2 cars in front on me was EPO. I was waiting and sure enough the blue lights went on and made the stops on both cars.
So do they have chap. 90 ? IM sure they are not going to risk there job pulling speeders over if they don’t have chap. 90. Or we can try this, the next person on here that see's a EPO, why don't you commit a traffic violation in his/her presence and post the results here on Masscops. We can get a poll going... :lol:

G

·
Speaking of the T Police, I stopped for one of their cruisers years ago on Rte 128 in Braintree. In front of the cruiser was a private vehicle. It appeared they had made a car stop. When I came up to the driver's window, it seemed I startled him. When I asked if everything was ok, he replied that they were just stopping for a DMV, as that other drove off w/o a problem. I didn't give sh*t if he was stopping a car, but why the obvious lie? I have yet to run into this scenario again. Just an odd incident that still has me a bit perplexed to this day. :?:

Guinness2429

·
Subscribing Member
633 Posts
Maybe this is a little off the topic.
But I take the commuter rail out of Bridgewater.
It is next to and inside the Jurisdiction of Bridgewater State College.
So obviously you have to abide by their speed limit which is way below that of the town speed limit.
The posted limit is 25 mph.

I see people get pulled over Left and Right Every single morning for speeding.
But I can see their point lots of college students walking around and whatnot.
But my point is.

Can they leave campus and still pull you over?
I saw a BSC cruiser PARKED stealthy on the MAIN Street of a Bridgewater MAIN road and he pulled over someone who pulled out of the college property. So he was out of his jurisdiction no? ??? ? ?

Can he pull someone over on the Bridgewater Road ? ? ? ?
I just thought he was going above and beyond his job. He should let Bridgewater PD take car of speeding motorists on Bridgewater streets and they should focus more on campus activities.

Just wondering.

Thanks.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
GMACK24 said:
Maybe this is a little off the topic.
But I take the commuter rail out of Bridgewater.
It is next to and inside the Jurisdiction of Bridgewater State College.
So obviously you have to abide by their speed limit which is way below that of the town speed limit.
The posted limit is 25 mph.

I see people get pulled over Left and Right Every single morning for speeding.
But I can see their point lots of college students walking around and whatnot.
But my point is.

Can they leave campus and still pull you over?
I saw a BSC cruiser PARKED stealthy on the MAIN Street of a Bridgewater MAIN road and he pulled over someone who pulled out of the college property. So he was out of his jurisdiction no? ??? ? ?

Can he pull someone over on the Bridgewater Road ? ? ? ?
I just thought he was going above and beyond his job. He should let Bridgewater PD take car of speeding motorists on Bridgewater streets and they should focus more on campus activities.

Just wondering.

Thanks.
Here's a relevant thread.. http://www.masscops.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=22601#22601

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.