Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on these guys.. how do you get on... what is the hiring process.... What in god's name do you have to do to become an P.O. in this Great Commonwealth we call Massachusetts.....

G

·
Basically they're the equivalent of what many states call a game warden or conservation officer. Their primary concern is the enforcement of laws pertaining to hunting, fishing, boating, recreational vehicles, etc. They have an inland bureau as well as a marine bureau, and a few other units I believe. They are fully sworn and have Ch. 90 as far as I know. Click the link below for their website. I guess you'd have to check with the state Human Resources Division to find out how to apply. Oh yeah, and as for how to get on in MA, I'm still trying to figure that one out myself brotha :shock:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/dle_toc.htm

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
From my experience back in 90, and from what I hear lately; very tough gig to get...
They don't put on many at once, and those that are hired are connected and/or have a shytload of experience... Good luck guys.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah it's like the Court Officer jobs in Ma. To get an EPO job you need to know someone politically, or just be real damn lucky!! They don't test for it that often, and when they do the test consist mostly of conservation/biology/wildlife questions. The last test I took had only 4 law enforcement questions. The rest were like, what's the color of a male ducks neck? What's the color of moose poo? Etc. :lol: Good, no GREAT job if you can get it. Good bunch of guys/girls too.

·
1,334 Posts
I believe there is also a requirement for a degree in an environmental field of study to be hired. The website should have the specific guidelines, but I do not think a CJ degree will cut it. It appears to be a very good and specialized department, at least from my dealings with them.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
frapmpd is right you need to have at least an AS in some form of environmental/earth science or two years fulltime experience working in an related occupation to take the test. As far as the test goes I've heard its all enviorment no police and if you d not know your leaves, trees, and frogs you'll be lucky to pass.

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts
I took that test also many years ago and it was one of the toughest I've ever taken. You need to know alot about the outdoors. I'm a hunter and fisherman and thought I would do OK, but I was wrong!!!!! I remember the 1st question on the test asked - which of the following ducks had a certain color scheme, of the choices, I couldn't tell you which one was a duck :shock: , forget about color schemes!!! I know a few EPO's and its a great job, if you can get it!!!!!!!!

FYI - The Florida DIvision of Fish and Wildllife is hiring.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was an EPO for 4 yrs before I transfered out to a local PD. It was a pretty good job with great guys and OK pay (no Quinn Bill and sporadic OT) but was poorly managed by an administration that seemed to want to get away from law enforcement. Around '96 they stopped allowing police education/experience to let former cops on the dept.
When I heard the Commissioner tell our Union that he could teach anyone to be a cop but only a precious few to be "environmentally concious" I knew it was time for me to hang up my Greens for a blue suit (4 of the 21 I got hired with also left around the same time). I've never looked back.
FYI, there was no politics in the hiring of the guys that I knew. Aside from most of us having veterans preference, the rules of civil service still applied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You dont need the environmental experience to take the test. Its a civil service exam and anyone cant take it.

Irishpride";p="44008 said:
frapmpd is right you need to have at least an AS in some form of environmental/earth science or two years fulltime experience working in an related occupation to take the test. As far as the test goes I've heard its all enviorment no police and if you d not know your leaves, trees, and frogs you'll be lucky to pass.

·
Registered
426 Posts
you correct in that Civil Service will take your $60 to take the exam, but to actually get hired they do have a work experience/education requirement in tree and bunny science.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.