Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any current EMTs have strong answer ideas on the following questions?

A child, restrained by a lap and shoulder belt, seated in a back seat, was involved in a head on crash. Where are the most likely injury sites?

You respond to call for a suicide attempt. Once on scene you see that family members have descalated the situation and the patient is calmed down. What should be your first focus?

a)Check patient and bystanders for injuries
b)stand by until police arrive
c)Make sure patient is going to be monitored for the next 48 hours

What is the appropriate PSI for you to change the Oxygen tank?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mikey682 said:
A child, restrained by a lap and shoulder belt, seated in a back seat, was involved in a head on crash. Where are the most likely injury sites?
Hmm... definitely internal injuries, as well as possible head, neck, and back trauma, depending on how hard the whiplash factor was.

You respond to call for a suicide attempt. Once on scene you see that family members have descalated the situation and the patient is calmed down. What should be your first focus?

I would choose A, as long as the scene is safe.

Zero is a good number!

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Mikey682 said:
Depends on a million different factors, (speed, age of Pt.....) but definitely head, neck, and spine as well as possible internal injuries. Make sure that pelvis is intact w/ no deformity or unusual tenderness (remember pelvic cavity can pool up w/ a serious amount of blood and Pt. can go hypovolemic w/o loosing any blood externally) and note any SOB which could indicate bruised ribs or intercostal muscle damage.

Mikey682 said:

A and B begin Pt. care but DO NOT leave the scene w/o the Pt. unless PD is on scene. I don't care if PD's ETA is forever + a day, if you don't transport the Pt. to the hospital and don't wait for PD be prepared to get sued for abandonment.

Mikey682 said:

Portable or Main tank. My rule is less than 500 psi for the portable and less than 1,000 psi for the Main its time to change.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish i knew if i chose the right answers... I took every option you chose too, but for some reasons those are the only questions i can remember from the exam, and Im on my last attempt at passing the written.

·
1,952 Posts
Neck/Spinal Injuries, abdominal if the child didn't place it correctly, but I believe for that question it was neck/spinal.

A and still call the police

I don't think any...

I just took the test on the 13th, it was a pain but passed with 8 to spare. The first two I had but with slight variations, the first was what is the most common area a person would be injured (adult/child) with the same scenario and the second had another answer but I cannot recall what it was. The 3rd I did not have on mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
EMT questions

The first question deals with the mechanism of injury which is the head on collision. A pediatric patient is smaller than an adult and would sustain multi trauma injuries including head (Subdermal hemotoma, Epidural hemotoma, depressed skull fracvtures) Their heads are not fully developed and bigger than the rest of their body. They can also develop cervical spinal injuries which is attributed to the fact that on the inital impact the head moves forward then snaps back on the secondary injury hitting the back of the seat from the deceleration. This type of accident also can cause abdominal and throaxic injuries. The child could also have bilateral femur fractures, bilateral knee fractures, tibua and fibula fractures. When dealing with a pediatric patient you must be very aggressive from the on set. A Child as opposed to adults can compensate for a longer period of time while being in hypovolemic shockand then suddenly crash.

On the next question it is SCENE SAFETY that they are looking for even though the scene may appear safe you main concern is the safety of yourself, your crew and others.

The last question is 500 psi for the changing of a C size oxygen cyliner.

:eek:nfire:

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help....I chose head/neck for the kid car accident, guessed on the O2 tank, and for the suicide attempt i put the first thing to do is check for injuries. I'm on my last shot for the written before i have to go through the whole damn process again, so back to the books for the 3rd time :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.