Emerson College Sergeant | MassCops

Emerson College Sergeant

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Kilvinsky, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Sergeant
    Institution:
    Emerson College

Category:
    Admin - Police and Public Safety

Posted:
    08/07/2020

Type:
    Full-Time

Job Number: JR002034

Target Hire Date

10/26/2020 - 2 months to go

Join our community and experience Emerson College!

Under the general supervision of the MIDNIGHT SHIFT (11:00pm-07:00am) Lieutenant, the Sergeant is responsible for the supervision of officers and civilian staff to help accomplish the Department's overall mission to provide a safe and secure environment for the Emerson community. The Sergeant conducts and directs patrol operations on their shift and manages the day to day activities of the officers. The Sergeant enforces department orders and state laws, and provides leadership and supervision to all the members under their command.

The Sergeant also facilitates clear and positive communications between department members and management, mentors subordinates, prepares and delivers employee performance evaluations, directs Department operations on their assigned shift.

Job Duties
    • Manage daily patrol operations
    • Observe the performance of members under their command, mentoring when necessary and commending their behavior/actions where appropriate
    • Conduct shift change roll calls during which equipment, appearance of officers, duty assignments and special orders or other information is completed
    • Successfully resolve a wide range of potential problems requiring sound judgment and discretion
    • Identify on-going problems or issues and recommending new procedures or protocol changes to improve Department operations
    • Perform the role of Shift Commander when a Lieutenant is not on duty or otherwise unavailable
    • Serve as a positive role model/mentor to subordinates and peers and promoting the
    • Implement the College's emergency preparedness plan in responding to disasters and other major incidents
    • Participate in campus safety programs
    • Respond to calls of serious emergencies, felonies and other major incidents
    • Work closely and collaboratively with Emerson community members, groups and other College departments on public safety issues.
    • Act as a Liaison with other Public Safety agencies and the court system
    Primary Duties, Responsibilities and Tasks

• Possess and demonstrate ethical behavior and integrity
    • Ability to complete assigned duties
    • Ability to utilize sound judgment and engage in problem-solving
    • Ability to multi-task, be resourceful and show initiative
    • Ability to provide analytical and critical thinking
    • Ability to demonstrate organizational and time management skills
    • Ability to establish effective working relationships with all members of a culturally diverse institution
    • Must have good written and verbal communication skills
    Essential Requirements:

• Three years of policing experience, preferably in a campus setting
    • Ability to obtain a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle operator's license and the ability to be insured by the College's automobile liability insurer
    • Applicants are preferred to be graduates of a full-time police recruit training academy certified by the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council or the Massachusetts State Police (MSP) Academy for campus police officers. Graduation from an out of state academy or a Massachusetts Reserve Intermittent Training Academy is acceptable
    • Successful completion of annual fitness for duty assessment; including a background investigation, a psychological evaluation, and a medical release
    Applicants must meet the State Police requirements for obtaining Special State Police Officer Warrant as listed in 515 CMR 5.04: "General Standards for Appointment". Applicants must not be less than 19 years of age. Applicants must be a United States citizen, and an employee of an agency described in M.G.L. c. 22C, s56 through 68."

Physical Requirements:
    • Must be able to remain on feet for extended periods, stoop, kneel, crouch, lift, carry, push, pull, and climb stairs, balance, walk, and run
    • Must be able to access all facilities, on foot, to respond to emergency calls for service to include the upper-most floors of campus buildings when elevators are not available
    • Must be able to conduct visual surveillance of individuals and surroundings
    • Must be physically able to operate Department equipment
    • Work includes exposure to elements, severe weather/ temperatures and loud noises
    • Work environment can exposure one to hazards and physical risks to personal safety
    • Must be physically fit and able to defend community members and one's self from attack or physical assault
    • Must be able to wear the required uniform
    • Must be able to work different shifts, including weekends, holidays, and overtime shifts as required
    Please note: This position is budgeted for additional funding based upon experience and qualifications. An hourly rate of $31.25 is budgeted for this position.

Grade of Position: A16N40 Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40.00 Hiring Range: $61,350.00 - $64,300.00

APPLICATION INFORMATION
    Emerson College

Online App. Form:
    https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Sergeant_JR002034

2. HoneyBadger1

HoneyBadger1 MassCops Member

These guys armed yet? I don't remember hearing anything but when will these institutions realize they'll get and retain more qualified cops among many other reasons to be armed..

3. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

They are still without firearms which is tragic. But on the UP side, at least the college can't take the guns away from them.

I know there will be those who will argue over this point, but as I see it, it takes a lot of guts or nuts or possibly to BE nuts to do the job without a gun. We all know a cop can got an entire 30 year career without ever using it or possibly even drawing it, but we are also well aware of how essential it is in that ONE instance where it IS needed. I applaud my Sister and Brother Officers who can do the job without a gun and pray for their safety. The trend in Mass. was moving towards arming all campus cops (few exceptions) and now I fear that it's going to slip the other way. Retirement is so close, yet so far!

4. Tango_Sierra

Tango_Sierra MassCops Member

I agree Kilv- for a while it seemed like colleges were either 50/50 if they were armed or not - then so many started becoming armed - Babson, Simmons, Framingham State, Regis to name a few. But you’re right, given what’s going on today anyone that is not armed has basically NO chance of that happening anytime soon.

HoneyBadger1 and Kilvinsky like this.
  5. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

AIC in Springfield, nestled between two rival gangs Oak Street and Sycamore, is unarmed. Those gangs are usually the ones shooting at each other out here. However they manage to do alright, just the officers get paid sub $20 and they really don’t do any serious enforcement action. It’s more like college security than police.

EUPD377 likes this.
  6. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

Aren’t they G4S SPO’s, or did they go in house? When I lived around there, I remember them driving cars marked “campus police” but with amber/green lights and no sirens, in addition to no guns.

7. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

As far as I’m aware that’s how things still are. Unarmed Springfield SPO hired by G4S.

8. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

j809 likes this.
  9. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

10. HoneyBadger1

HoneyBadger1 MassCops Member

Ya until this current political climate hit, I really believed it was only a matter of a few years before the legislation was passed that mandated the arming of all campus cops.. I should say my original post was in no means a knock on the poor SOBs who have to work unarmed. like you said, its sure as shit not easy to work as a cop unarmed..

Kilvinsky and zm88 like this.