Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
union1 said:
Pay starts at 13.41 an hour but our contract is being negotiated as we speak so thay may change

shift diff 5% Eve and 8%Mid

Job- Well, Its not that bad. it defintly could be ALOT worse. Could be better.

THIS IS A UNION JOB!!!
Hey Union, I heard awhile back that Dept. Had problems with people banging in and people getting forced to work OT, on a regular basis.
Does this still happen?
Please remember that I heard this thru the grapevine. Just curious...

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
At the request of the original poster, this topic has been moved to Massachusetts Listing. I also changed the title to Emerson College Police.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Hey Capt.

Heres the dirt on bangouts.

I posted that bangouts are/were an issue here.

There are bangouts here, and I swear they happen at the most in-opportune times (Or so has happened to me, Ex, Salem State Interview)

They come in spurts tho, we can go for months without a force, then you may get it 2 or 3 times in one week. If your someone who likes O.T. and don't mind being forced then it probably wont bother you. Also depending on the shift you take, there are O.T. hogs that may not mind taking the OT from you if you dont want it.

Our officers/teamwork has gotten 100 times better "Not Perfect" since the departure of a Sergeant who was to be frank an Asshole. We do have one or two people here that still dont give a rats ass about who they screw on their callouts but i guess no-one is perfect.

Funny as I was writing this, we got a bangout!! also, we have people here now that WANT to be here for the most part so they actualy dont mind coming to work.

Ill be frank, anyone who wants to come here cannot cone in thinking its all peaches and cream. But it is better than some out there.

Hope that answers your question.

:whaasup:

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Emerson College Police is the greatest Department to work for. Our Chief as well as both our LT ensure that we don't get stuck doing any security type/ Campus Maid functions. The team work has gotten better since a former SGT left. The pay is better than most colleges.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
No guns @ Emerson.... If you meet a few of the officer's im sure you will see why!

Also, they really dont expect/nor want you to do anything so they dont see the need for us to have them. Honestly, we dont do Maid Work and dont do much of a security function...... Truth is, I have been there 3 years and still confused about what exactly our function is!

:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
union1 said:
No guns @ Emerson.... If you meet a few of the officer's im sure you will see why!

Also, they really dont expect/nor want you to do anything so they dont see the need for us to have them. Honestly, we dont do Maid Work and dont do much of a security function...... Truth is, I have been there 3 years and still confused about what exactly our function is!

:)
:L: :L: :L:

That's GREAT, I love it! :p :wink: Actually, I feel for you. I was in a situation like that at one point as well. At times you feel like an idiot, cause everyone knows you do nothing, other times it's GREAT, cause you can relax and do nothing and get paid, but it also can get VERY boring :( .

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
That's GREAT, I love it! Actually, I feel for you. I was in a situation like that at one point as well. At times you feel like an idiot, cause everyone knows you do nothing, other times it's GREAT, cause you can relax and do nothing and get paid, but it also can get VERY boring .

Never feel like an Idiot, your co-workers make that a non reality.

You really just find creative ways to take up time. READ the paper or surf on the internet (AHH HEM), our freshman class this year is also really cool, they have been coming and talking to us, I even had 3 sit with me at lunch on Tuesday (I was flustered) Its really not a bad job tho. If your looking for a job that you can work, have an "at times" good Chief, have a great time working, educate yourself and build your resume. Its really nice. I cant complain.

***Tip to whoever applies- NEVER complain about the desk, its the ONLY place that you can almost never get into trouble!***

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Union1,
Emerson PD doesn't carry guns????
I thought they did.. I was driving by the college radio station on Tremont on sunday nite and saw an officer waiting for what looked like a transport, It wasn't BPD.
Not sure what dept. now but I swear the officer was carrying , I figured it was Emerson.
He had what looked like a homeless DK ( poss from shelter around the corner) in custody.
Like I said I was driving by so didn't get the best look but it was definitely not BPD.... Any ideas as to what dept it might have been????

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
That was Emerson but we dont carry. We do hide the fact that we dont carry well because all the locals know we dont carry and weve had plenty of threats.

That DK had made threats to Gov. Romney and had said he planted a bomb in the statehouse. There were also a few other offences. I wasnt here so i dont know the whole story.

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Union1,
I must say I was fooled!!! You guys do hide it very well.
Any thing in the works for you guys to carry in the future?
Also from whom does your Dept. receive threats???
Is it the administration that doesn't want you guys to carry???
That area isn't the greatest... Good luck man .. Stay safe!

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Well Union1,
I must say I was fooled!!! You guys do hide it very well.
Any thing in the works for you guys to carry in the future?
Also from whom does your Dept. receive threats???
Is it the administration that doesn't want you guys to carry???
That area isn't the greatest... Good luck man .. Stay safe!

Currently there is nothing in the works for us to get guns, I wouldnt even think to with a couple of the people we have working with us. I think it would be a more feasable idea to fight for if the criterea for hiring wasnt "can this person get their powers right away".

our department does not deal with students. As liberal as they are, we have very few problems. Our problems come from the people outside, i think 90 percent of our arrests are crack/heroin related so there is where our threats come from.

as far as who wont let us carry, i dont know if its the administration or the chief. I will reguritate what i have herd and that it;s the chief who is holding the gun issue back. Im told our VP likes us and has even been prety cool to us even though our union and the school are having issues. If I was to guess, ide think its the chief, hes retired and im sure does not want the added risk of a civil case if one of us does use our guns. In my time here ther had been more incidents than I can count that someone would rightfuly draw a weapon, 1 of which the officer would have been justified in discharging it.

you just kinda live with the fact you dont have one, with the shitbags in the area I look at it more like a lions den. If you go in with confidence and show them you mean business, they respect you more.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
They accept the MINIMUM you need to get your powers. If you have a degree, forget the SSPO, your going to the Reserve. If you have a reserve and no dgree coming close, your going to the SSPO..

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,678 Posts
tomahawk said:
Aha... so with a degree and the reserve academy, you are not going to be sent anywhere?

-Mike
Well Mike as posted elsewhere recently, the MSP Certification Unit in Danvers will issue you an SSPO warrant with the above. Can't actually answer for Emerson though.

P.S. Your FTO will require you to be photographed with tourists!
:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.