EMD | MassCops

EMD

Discussion in 'Dispatch / Communications' started by spd722, Apr 12, 2011.

1. spd722

spd722 MassCops Member

With the new mandatory EMD requirements coming out for next year from the SETB, does anyone have any current policy's in place for departments with only one call taker/dispatcher on duty? If so, could you please send me a pm.

Thanks

2. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

In the EMD program there are instructions for urgent disconnect. It really doesnt take that long to run through the questions once you get used to it.

3. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

I havent seen the new requirements as of yet. How do they affect private companies that have 911 contracts with towns?

Some of the 911 towns transfer the medical calls to us directly.

4. des213

des213 MassCops Member

Yeah, I'm also looking for EMD training/certification somewhere in MA. When public courses are offered, could someone please post info?

Thanks!

5. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

6. JRut47

JRut47 MassCops Member

If you already dispatch for a municipality in Mass, you can take most classes via the 911 Grant in your department for free. If you are not a current dispatcher some smaller departments might be able to sponsor you through a class depending on where you live. Going through the class a great help as a dispatcher, but you can only give the instructions in most cases if your departments EMD plan/instructions are certified with the local medical control. If you use EMD training outside of a medical control or give the wrong instructions if you aren't covered you go get yourself in some deep mud.

7. des213

des213 MassCops Member

Thanks. I dispatch part time for a private property, and work EMS for the property full time. To comply with municipal requirements (and at the request of my Medical Director), I am investigating training all of our dispatchers in EMD in the next 12-24 months, so though I would start with myself.
    I am a practicing medic, with some dispatch experience, so would like to think I have some experience with call triage and pre-arrival instructions, but would like formal training in the protocols.

Thanks again for your quick reply.