Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a growing feeling that there is a need for Emergency Medical Dispatch. We presently run a combined (police and fire) dispatch center and handle approximately 25000 calls per year with two on-duty dispatchers (24/7). Questions to those of you who have EMD experience.

Can two dispatchers handle the additional duties associated with EMD?

Is the addition of a third dispatcher necessary (as a call taker)?

What is an appropriate bump in pay for the additional level of training and responsibility?

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Not a reply but a question.

What do you mean by EMD? Is it your ambulance calls?
Sorry for being confused but, all the communities I'm familiar with, the medical calls are handled by whoever does the fire dispatch.

Your question implies that your calls for medical are going somewhere else or that you're forwarding them to some other entity.

Maybe I'm just misreading your question! :doctor:

·
Registered
447 Posts
EMD=Emergency Medical Dispatch

Emergency Medical Dispatch Program is based on the NHTSA National Standard Curriculum for EMD. EMD Program incorporates all of the current ASTM Guidelines and NHTSA guidelines in a comprehensive EMD Package.

Emergency Medical Dispatch is a systematic program of handling medical calls. Trained telecommunicators, using locally-approved EMD Guidecards, quickly and properly determine the nature and priority of the call, dispatch the appropriate response, then give the caller instructions to help treat the patient until the responding EMS unit arrives.

Emergency Medical Dispatch Course teaches the Dispacther the basics of EMD, including the use of the EMD guidecards and the correct procedures for obtaining pertinent information over the phone.

EMD was created by the Phoenix AZ FD back in the 80's

EMD is designed and it is discussed in all EMD programs (APCO, NAED and PowerPhone) that EMD can, has been and is done with just 1 dispatcher.

I am very suprised to see you have 2 Dispatchers per shift with such a low call volume. There is no need for a 3rd.

Your best bet would be to research EMD via NAED, APCO or PowerPhone. They all have websites and customer service that are great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have an agreement with the State that we will have two 911 qualified employees by the phones at all times. There is a further agreement that the fire side will have someone in the chair at all times. (a police supervisor covers the police side when a fire dispatcher is out of the area and the police dispatcher covers fire calls).

In addition, the 25,000 figure is logged calls for service. It does not reflect all the other traffic associated with the normal course of business.

Thanks for the info, I'll check the sites.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is excellent that your agency has 2 people on at all times. That should be mandatory nationwide, but that is a topic for another day.

EMD is vital in a modern PSAP. Any agency that does not have it is opening themselves up to liability. I'm not in a managerial position, so I can be honest about this and up front... I don't think using EMD justifies a pay increase...if I were you I would not seek one based soley on that.

As far as 'do you need more people'.. No. At least with NAEMD (not sure with other systems) there are methods to end a EMD call early if the need arises based on call volume in the center. Just because you start EMD doesn't mean you have to finish it completely.

Getting EMD is a big, yet important, move for a PSAP, don't hesitate to ask more questions about this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Our department Handles a large amount of calls at times we work with 2 Call taker overnight but we still have Three dispatchers. All the call takers do is 911 and routine so EMD is not to bad But it does take up alot of time because u need to stay on the line with the caller. I find EMD is a very good program I have seen lives saved by using it but like i said we have anywhere for 2 to 6 people JUST taking calls nevermind out dispatchers. I can not see a department with 2 calltaker/dispatchers doing it all as well as EMD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.