Dys | MassCops

Dys

Discussion in 'Juvenile Corrections' started by Enforcer174, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Enforcer174

Enforcer174 New Member

Anyone know if the DYS is union and if so what union and beniefits do they have?

2. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

3. southwick34

southwick34 MassCops Member

Enforcer174 There are currently 4 State Groups which you can be catorgized in for Retirement; being 1,2,3,4. MSP and DYS are the only ones in Group 3 which is the best for State retirement. This is fairly recent. You can't go wrong being in Group 3. Benefits are carried over into retirement also.
    Good Luck! -Southwick34 (Former DYS) Happily Retired

4. DTEX91

DTEX91 New Member

DYS is a pretty good start if you are headed into the correctional field. I worked for DYS for almost a year and it was a very interesting experience. State benefits, and lots of OT available, so if you don't mind working, you can make a decent pay. Alot of people knock DYS, but at times it can be a very difficult line of work. You are in constant confrontation with punk ass kids 8 to 16 hours a day. I currently work at MCI-Cedar Junction (Walpole) with all the DYS graduates, and to tell you the truth, i would rather deal with an Adult CON then a DYS kid anyday.

5. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Its great...as long as you dont mind getting forced to stay for midnight OT shifts 3 nights a week to sit on a 1 to 1 suicide watch and stare at some rapin' or murderin', little shitbag to make sure he doesnt hang it up in his cell, and then being denied personal days off after working forced doubles for the last 3 months...:rolleyes:

If you can handle that, then youre all set.

(I know I sound disgruntled...but I'm glad the above is long over for me.)

6. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

Did you leave DYS??

7. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I had to. I couldnt handle the constant forced OT shifts anymore. I drew the line when I was getting forced 2-3 times a week onto 3rd shift and then having to be up all day with my daughter and then be back at 15:00 with no sleep only to find out I was getting forced again. After 3 days with no sleep, and then being denied personal days off for a funeral for example, I had enough.

Its not just me, there are others who are long since ready to bail, but dont have anything to fall back on, so theyre stuck there. I was lucky enough to have my PD job that allows me to pretty much work as much as I can handle.

It's just not right when people are being stretched up to and past their limits, and not given any relief, even in the form of a day off. If there were good management skills present, they would have figured out a way to share the wealth if you will, and give the evening shift guys a night off when they need it, and force a day shift guy. It's only fair.

Anyway...enough of my complaining, the bottom line is that the job itself isnt bad, you learn alot about criminals fast, you just have to be prepared for the working conditions.

8. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

Well put.