DYS no respect | MassCops

DYS no respect

Discussion in 'Juvenile Corrections' started by DYSguy, Oct 18, 2007.

1. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

Why does it seem employees of DYS get no respect with law enforcement? Is it cause the state won't list us as safety & security? As many officers know the kids now a days are just as if not worse than adults. So when you' re in a unit with 15-25 violent felons 8-16 hrs a day how does that not not deserve the respect of other law enforcement. May be someone can enlighten me?

2. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

Simply put, everyone's perception is that you're dealing with kids.

In some sense, they're right-they are kids...just biding their time until they age out or there's an opening in the adult system, which is where most of them end up anyway...

If you're going to work with juveniles, you might as well get used to feeling the way you do...I know it sucks but that's just how it is...

Honestly, most people don't want to work with juveniles because it's constant interaction...of needy kids...

If you want any more info about DYS, look at my posts in this particular forum...

;)

3. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

Maybe because DYS has a history of protecting it's children like a pot of gold. Maybe when DYS begins to cooperate more with law enforcement will the respect kick in.

It might not be your fault, but from a law enforcement perspective, DYS does not cooperate with the Police.

Thus the reason for some of the animosity.

4. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

94c makes a good point but it's a lot more than that.

I left a secure unit in the Southeast region after 8.5 years of working on the floor. I did my time and rose through the ranks. On my last day of work, I had been a shift administrator for about 1 year and a half and I had seen enough.

I've kept in touch with a lot of the people I worked with and all they keep telling me is that I got out at the right time. For once in my life, timing was on my side...

Anyone who thinks they are going to save the world is in for a HUGE surprise. The way the system is set up, more often than not, sets kids up to fail.

That being said, if you go to work, do your job holding kids accountable and take the initiative to try and get promoted, the respect you're concerned with will come from your co-workers...

Isn't that really all that matters when you're stuck inside upwards of 16 hours a day??

5. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

like corrections your tied down by a bunch of social workers who ultimately call all the shots.

"hugs , not lugs" is managements motto. know guys who have done that job and with the contract employees and less than stellar money, it's a tough job on top of the little maggots you have locked up.

i feel for ya , DYS - Walpole's waiting room:-(

6. southwick34

southwick34 MassCops Member

DYSguy, short answer as to why DYS gets no respect... "Someone's got to get "F" ed up for something to happen!" When a DYS Caseworker or a DYS Group worker is killed then legislation will change. Another problem is the common folk don't know what DYS is. They think DSS is DYS and DYS is DSS. However this thread has proved the difference.
    Shorter answer you want to be a Juvenile Parole Officer move to CA, you want to be a DYS Caseworker/Counselor/Social worker with no respect, power, money or recognition stay in MA. After all there just kids!

BTW where's 13BW been? Did his Parole Officer pull him back into custody??????????? -Southwick34 dropping the hammer

7. Mikey682

Mikey682 Subscribing Member

If you want everyone to like you, you should probably take the firefighter exam.

8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Did you get stopped,flashed a dys badge and got a ticket anyway?

9. boz

boz MassCops Member

I think one of the biggest misconceptions people have about a career in law enforcement is that once you don a uniform you get respect. Respect is something you earn from your peers by leading, showing confidence and being able to perform at all levels of your job. Coming here and looking for others to validate the respect you should get for the job you do sounds like you dont have confidence in yourself or the job you have.

10. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

What badges?:D

11. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

OK let me clarify this thread to the SIMPLE minded who did not comprehend what I am saying.
    1. I am talking about the guys/woman that work in the corrections side on a Unit. Not the crybag clinicians and caseworkers that want to hold there hands an blame it on everything else but the little shitbags.
    2. I wasn't asking to be liked or be your friend, I wasn't even asking about myself. I was talking about the workers in general.(mikey 608))
    3. Dumb ass only apprehension officers carry badges, How many DYS badges have you ever seen?(j809)
    4. (Boz) I have all the confidence I need, & again
    you ASSume I am talking about myself. I am talking about the JOB TITLE in general.

Now I'm not gonna knock any of the urban police officers they see there share of violent crime. Nor would I knock on a C.O. but you small town guys? Get a grip We DYS guys in the south eastern part of the state. (aka Plymouth) work with the worst of the worst teens. Lets compare beats small town officers. On my Unit alone there are 5 murder1 raps, 4 attempted murder, 4 ADW/firearm, 2 rapes on a minor u/14, 4 armed robbery, 1 threat to commit a terrorist act. 2 ADW and soon to be 1 more, murder1 of a police officer. Now your gonna tell me you work a tougher beat? Please,This is what I work with EVERY day. So save the high an mighty crap. These (kids) would just as soon cut your throat as look at you. Oh and we don't carry weapons either not even OC.(pepper spray)
    That is why I don't understand why we 're looked down on. I know some officers in my town that say "they wouldn't do that job unarmed." C.O.s in the facility I'm at, love to get on our unit. We do all the work. (they get to watch T.V. talk on the phone, all they are required to do is open doors from the panel, Headcounts & call Cert in riot situations. not a hell of a lot huh?
    I know DYS executive/mngt doesn't always work hand in hand with law enforcement. I blame that on being listed under Health & human services, instead of Public safety. Where we belong; after all DYS is the Juvenile justice system in Ma.
    Oh and BTW this next excert is taken in part directly from the DYS website and is the mission statement of DYS.
    Mission Statement

The Department of Youth Services is the juvenile justice agency of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our mission is to protect the public and prevent crime

Sound familiar? Ok so that I have had my rant. Now Could someone please explain?

12. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

Your right Pahapoinka 100% esp. The Walpole waiting room! You not joking.

13. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

DYSGUY, my experience is that most police officers have plenty of respect for your job. There are disrespectful, arrogant people in every profession - they are the vast minority. Maybe a few DYS officers had bad encounters with police officers because of what they did or how they acted.. Your job is respected, but individuals reap what they sow. Just because some may have had a bad experience and then whined about it does not mean that DYS custody officers as a whole are not respected.

14. MCPHS401

MCPHS401 MassCops Member

Worst of the worst? I know someone who works Dorchester DYS, I am thinking it may be a bit worse there.

Not that I have a problem with you, or dont respect you, I am not sure what it is your looking for in terms of respect. Public or Police? Who told you that they didnt like you because you worked at DYS? I respect anyone that does a neccesary and tough job for an organization that is not neccesarily liked by people.

I only work auxilliary right now, but from what I have seen, theres very little respect for the any full time LEO. I may work a small town, but it doesn't make it any less dangerous, you never know who is riding through or who you are stopping.

Like someone said earlier, if you want to be respected, become a fireman. Complaining about not being respected is never the way to earn respect.

Do like I do; do your job, do it right, and shut your mouth.

somewhere along the line someone will respect you for it.

15. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

You're an idiot coming on a police site and bashing police officers because you would like to be something more than what you are now but try to rationalize your shortcomings by pounding your chest and telling us how bad ass you are in a secured locked unit. Get a grip, you'll never get any respect from us tough guy with your attitude. So I ask again, what small town PD gigged you or one of your friends?

Actually quite a bit of you guys have these badges MADE up, YES MADE UP. I know for a fact not only from stopping a few guys from DYS but from one police supply store where alot of these badges were made and these were not apprehention officers. Seems like these days everyone has a badge made up, including Whitman selectmen.

16. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

"Seems like these days everyone has a badge made up, including Whitman selectmen."

Macop ?????????

17. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

I too must fall under this category as I thought you were speaking in generalized terms and not to one specific entity...

As for the badge, it was suggested to me that I pick one up (at the police supply store) back when I 1st started. Shit, I think the thing cost me like $50.00! I gave it to one of my staff when I left last year...

There were times when staff members had to transport residents and my director wanted me to have one (coupled with my picture ID) in case something happened out on the road. NOT to flash at a police officer when I get pulled over......

18. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

nobody is going to get 100% respect. talk to some cops and you'll find out even guys from big PD's get the s**t too.

DYS is a tough job , but you might have gone a little over the top, my friend :)

get out if you can. can't see that job getting better anytime soon.

19. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

I am staying out of the mix here, however I will say that all of the other DYS units including Dorchester send their worst residents aka "Inmates" to Plymouth when they cant be handled any longer. When they riot, assault staff, assault other residents, they send them to Plymouth Juvenile for a taste of jail to try to correct the behavior. All murder kids go to Plymouth as well. It's not about being any tougher than another unit, but more that because the Plymouth unit is inside PCCF, it is run more strict than the other DYS units.

20. RumRunner

RumRunner MassCops Member

DYSGUY,It dosen't sound like your the least bit happy at your job, it might be time to move on. Have you ever thought about becoming a PO or CO? J809 has a point too as far as this thread goes you might NOT want to bash PO's on a pro PO site. It can get ugly in here and I can smell blood in the water.....
    MOD: we need a shark in the smiles box...

21. MCPHS401

MCPHS401 MassCops Member

Didnt know that, thanks for the correction

22. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

yup...former home to Edward S. O'Brien...

some of the guys I worked with who opened that DYS unit (after the commonwealth took it over from the Brockton Y) were there when young Eddie was there...

in fact, at the time that unit 1st opened, it was one entire unit, not the half unit it is now...

2 tiers of anywhere between 45-60 teenage murderers...

23. Dr.Magoo

Dr.Magoo Subscribing Member

People with a chip on their shoulder do not earn respect. People who spout off their job description and tell of how hard their job is over someone else, do not earn respect. You get what you sow.

24. southwick34

southwick34 MassCops Member

DYSguy, you should change your screen name to sensitive sally. To work in Plymouth you need to have alligator skin. After the rebuttle you wrote looks like you are as sensitive as one of those clinicians. Get a grip it's an online talk. "If they anger you they control you!" A DYS Clinican told me that!!!!
    Instead of singing to the choir have you ever thought about redirecting your feelings to the State House or the Union or your Legislator??

25. DYSguy

DYSguy MassCops Member

LMAO thanx southwick I'll try to remember that. It's not the kids that do it. That does sound like a clinician though. As far as redirecting yes "WE" have contacted the union haven't thought of legislator though. I heard from the DYS commisioner herself (Jane Tewksbury) that she is sitting down with our Union at the end of the year. The "direct care" staff have been without contract since June "06! not that it will probably go anywhere from what vets of the program tell me. I'll take your advice though, the best I've probably heard so far "contacting legislator" I think personally it is the way DYS is listed under Human Services & Mental Health. Again I see guys posting here like I'm talking about myself and respect(they are missing the point) Nowhere in this thread have I said " I or me" as far as respect goes. Why would someone come on here asking for someone to respect them as indivuals? They would know nothing about me or the way I preform my duties. I was more curious as the duties and jobs "WE" hold/preform as a "group" *PLEASE NOTICE* the quotations. Why "WE" weren't respected more by the law enforcement community.
    Yes I have responded to some of the replys on 1st hand basis, but that is because I can only respond by personal exp.
    So AGAIN I ask ppl to READ closely to what I am trying to get across. THIS IS AS A GROUP NOT PERSONALLY!!!!!