DYS info | MassCops

DYS info

Discussion in 'Juvenile Corrections' started by officerfriendly, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Can anyone provide any recent information regarding the benefits (insurance, vacation, etc.) and information on the pay steps for the DYS group worker positions?

2. HPD104

HPD104 MassCops Member

Re: DYS info,

Used to to work there. You start off not actually working for D.Y.S. unless you get lucky, you start by working as a contract employee called JRI( Justice Resource Institue) The pay is low....9.80 Hourly....Once you there a while and a state slot opens up the rates go as follows:

$12 hourly-group worker
    $14 Supervisor
    $16 Supervisor 2
    $18 Supervisor 3

Supervisor positions are hard to come by, and days off suck ass when you start. Its a five and two usually resulting in tue/wed off for atleast a year or so... There are guys there (Worcester-Paul T. Leahy Center) that have worked there for like five years and only have like wed/thurs off..... Benifits were alright, premiums were pretty high for JRI workers. Tough place to work for what there going to pay you for. I dont want to discourage your endeavors but unless you really want to deal with 50 child killers and rapist's and have to referr to them as "Residents" then I would look into Adult Corrections where the payscale/benifits/room for advancement is better. Any other ???'s feel free to contact me.

3. New Hire

New Hire MassCops Member

GW I, II and III benefits are all the same. Your schedule is based on a 40 hour work week and you receive the following:

10 hours of sick time each month.
    2 weeks of vacation time each month until after 4 1/2 years, when it increases to 3 weeks.
    3 days (24 hours) of personal time.
    11 comp (or holidays) a year.

The medical is the same I have now (with the Trial Court) which is the GIC (google that) and an overall good plan. The dental is covered by the union, which is AFSCME local 1368 (google that too) and you get 2 free cleanings a year.

Now for the bad part: the only way to make any money is to work a SHITLOAD of overtime. I'm not trying to discourage you but don't expect to make a bunch of money as a GW 1 (or GW II) unless you intend on working O.T.. That's just the way it is.

Pay increases are based on 12 steps. Click on this link and then click on Unit 2 for more info...

If you're young and hungry and want experience in dealing with conflict, as well as dealing with high pressure situations, have at it...those kids can be a real pain in the ass...

I have NOTHING bad to say about my 8 1/2 years at DYS. It was great training and ALL of my state employee time has carried over to the Trial Court with me.

I hope I've answered some of the questions you had...if you have any more, feel free to ask...