Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyone think of the duty suspenders (nylon) instead of keepers. They seem to be very popular on the west coast.

They are very tough looking, and provide an easy place to clip radio mic's. beepers, etc.

But they are a new, and rather cutting edge idea for us masshooles who resist change so well :shock:

Ken

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
I think they look cool when I see them on episodes of COPS. It looks like a very practical solution, but in the end I'd have see what the chicks think of them before I'd wear it in public :-k

·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Hi Ken,

Yes the nylon duty suspenders both look sharp and are very practical. I am told that they can also be beneficial to those officers who may have a bad back. Unfortunately, they are not part of our uniform of the day (unless I cover up with a cruiser jacket for the whole shift). I guess your last statement is quite correct!

·
Registered
221 Posts
SPDFITZ wrote "But they are a new, and rather cutting edge idea for us masshooles who resist change so well" [-(

Ok, so I guess I'll be the one to think otherwise. :oops: I would give the suspenders a no vote for those. I just don't think they look that sharp on a regular uniform. I think they look kind of "back woodsy", like they belong on a cop up in Maine or down south :shock: Like when you see them on COPS wearing those, it looks like they just got interupted from chopping wood. My personal opinion and fall into the category of a masshole again resisting change :D

Someone had to disagree :p

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Just something else for the perp to grab hold of..... no thanks [-(

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
I think that if you go with suspenders then you need to be wearing a BDU style uniform. They do look sharp on K9 and other special operations Officers but I feel they could become a hazard on the patrol uniform of the day. I agree with Gil and don't want some jerk pulling me around by the suspenders.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i think the uncle mike's suspenders have a break away hook up so if you do get yanked it'll release... troopers wear semi-suspenders all the time when they have the full sam browne setup...

i think they're worth looking at esp in the winter under duty coats, rain gear, sweaters etc... esp after hearing about guys whose spine's are out of alignment from wearing a duty belt all career long.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,749 Posts
Ya great!

Something else to fall into the toilet when you're scrambling to relieve yourself after clearing ten minutes too late from your last call!!!!!
:L: :L: :FM: :-({|=

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think the suspenders supplement the keepers, not replace them. Otherwise, the suspenders would pull the belt upwards and it would "ride" up. The cross strap looks sharp. The troopers wear it with the winter uniform. It uses d-rings in front of and behind the holster, and the strap goes to the opposite shoulder, relieving the weight of your duty weapon. As far as someone grabbing hold of it,don't let them get that close before you spray the bejeezus out of them!

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Take my word for it; road troopers wear a break-away clip on the cross strap, so a suspect can't grab a hold of it. Also, the cross strap had no load bearing properties; Troopers still use their belt keepers. Cross straps are purely decorative. (but cool). As for suspenders, seems like a good idea with tactical types, but looks like sh*t on a duty uniform. Save the suspenders for grandpa. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think the suspenders look lousy. However, there is no doubt that some relief is needed in terms of weight on the duty belt. To that end, I have been thinking about the merits of load bearing vests. Of course most Chief's don't want their officers on the street looking like a SWAT team, so that idea is quickly scuttled.

The solution, as I see it, is to develop a load bearing vest\shirt that looks exactly like your uniform shirt. This would mitigate the SWAT team appearance that most Chief's object to. You could go a step further and add ballistic protection as well.

If I were to develop such a product, would anyone be interested :?:

Ryan

·
Registered
334 Posts
HUGE difference b/w a Clarino breakaway cross strap and those goofy looking suspenders that are creeping up on COPS all of a sudden ( :eek:t: with the giant taser guns on the legs that seem to be getting WAY too much use).

Ryan - I'll bet lots of people would be interested and I've had some ideas. Send me a PM ;-)

-Eric

·
Registered
51 Posts
:thumbdow: Do I hear Banjos playing??? hehe We should start wearing flannel shirts & Strawhats too :jestera: I think suspenders would just be something the criminals would love to grab a hold of. :icon_hum: and spin us around :letitall:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I got a pair (uncle mike's) and tried them. They suck, the part that attatches to the belt is a keeper, but the snaps are forward facing, and very easy to pop. I had the things on about 2 minuets, and i brushed against a wall, and the stupid things came undone. Plus they looked absolutely rediculous.

For Sale on pair of uncle mikes size L/XL nylon suspenders $10..... :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
:DP: Same here! Wore them on one detail and as soon as I cleared, it was off to the Post Office to ship them back.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Killjoy275 said:
Take my word for it; road troopers wear a break-away clip on the cross strap, so a suspect can't grab a hold of it. Also, the cross strap had no load bearing properties; Troopers still use their belt keepers. Cross straps are purely decorative. (but cool). As for suspenders, seems like a good idea with tactical types, but looks like sh*t on a duty uniform. Save the suspenders for grandpa. :)
I second that you look like a jackass with the suspenders. I saw a few in my in service training they look like hill billy boobs. Yeee haw you all come back now you hear!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My opinion is that they look like trash, I can see how they would be useful, but unless they can mange to make them look less like a carpenters workbelt, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
SPDFITZ said:
Well, I got a pair (uncle mike's) and tried them. They suck, the part that attatches to the belt is a keeper, but the snaps are forward facing, and very easy to pop. I had the things on about 2 minuets, and i brushed against a wall, and the stupid things came undone. Plus they looked absolutely rediculous.

For Sale on pair of uncle mikes size L/XL nylon suspenders $10..... :)
Maybe it's that dickey-doo that keeps popping those keepers. :finger2:

Just kidding Fitz. :jestera:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts