Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the LEOs.

Do your keep you duty mags separate from your practice mags for reliability reasons or not?

Also according to MGL is a Fed LEO required to have all new high cap mags issued or can they be privately bought if he wants a few more to have dedicated practice mags for his duty weapon? If they can be bought, can they be bought out of state and brought back to MA?

Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
ANY LEO can buy high-cap duty mags (they do have to be mags that you are authorized to use on the job) in-state or out-of-state and use them here. The restriction on what you can do with them comes when you leave a LE agency.

I'm of a mind that you should practice with what you use. Thus, duty mags get used in practice as well as on the job. Others may have different approaches to this.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
I would assert that all mags should be equally reliable unless you have a mag built to do "failure tests and drills".

To that end I would suggest that all magazines be uniquely identified (numbers, dots, whatever) and when one begins to fail, you either trade it in for a new one, destroy it and buy a new one, or send it back to be repaired.

As for LE and high cap mags in MA, good for duty use, you are good to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm sure SOT can lend more to this than I can but I believe that if it is legally purchased while you are LEO then it is yours to keep even after you are off the job - You cant sell to non-LEO but you can still carry it, as it was legally purchased.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I was more concerned with repeatedly droppping my duty mags on concrete, sand and mud and have them slowly become unreliable. But, you guys are right. I do have them numbered and if one becomes unreliable, then I should just trade it in for a new issued one. Why spend my own money when I can get new issued for free?

The good for duty use thing is questionable. I can only have issued equipment on the job. I can not use on the job, mags that I bought, so that brings into question the legality of the purchase or possion in MA.

I'll just use my issued mags until they have problems and then get more issued mags,

Thanks

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
That last part is between you and your department. If they say "you can only use the mags we give you." that's all you can use.

The basics of what the law says is that

"The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement."

Mach";p="55295 said:
Thanks for the responses.

I was more concerned with repeatedly droppping my duty mags on concrete, sand and mud and have them slowly become unreliable. But, you guys are right. I do have them numbered and if one becomes unreliable, then I should just trade it in for a new issued one. Why spend my own money when I can get new issued for free?

The good for duty use thing is questionable. I can only have issued equipment on the job. I can not use on the job, mags that I bought, so that brings into question the legality of the purchase or possion in MA.

I'll just use my issued mags until they have problems and then get more issued mags,

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts