Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does MSP have regs on the way troopers set up their duty belts?
I see all troopers wear everything in the same spot. Magazines are always vertical,cuffs are never in front,second set of cuffs always seem to be on on a strap or some other type of open cuff case just behind the firearm. Baton is always in front of the radio. Is this all part of the regs or is it just the way they teach it in the academy?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It all makes sense to me. I see some guys wear their baton behind the firearm on the belt,I always (in my short time wearing a belt) found it hard to draw and open from back there. A cross draw from the front of the radio is much better.
I was tought in the academy to cuff with both left and right hands (iam right handed) However they said to cuff with our strong side (right for me) enless for sone reason we could not. I take it troopers are tought the same but you are thought to draw your cuffs with your left then once its time to cuff you swith to you right (strong hand) and place them on???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could someone give me the run down on how the regs say an MSP belt should be set up. I'm curious on the order of equipment, what equipment is allowed, and what equipment may be substituted. Thanx!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The 'duty rig' is basically the same for everyone, but people place their pagers, extra cuffs, etc, where it is convenient. All extraneous stuff is removed from the belt for 'class A' use:

"Field service belt with holster and firearm, ammunition case, handcuff case, club ring, and cross strap, and no other items;"

Note: all the above items are in the same place: holster and firearm on the master side; ammunition case, club ring and cuff case, in that order. Period. Since Moses was a corporal. :D

For 'class B' use, the belt is described similarly except: no cross strap for summer and the "no other items" clause is replaced by "and other authorized equipment".

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The old straight 'Monadnock'...but some also have the collapsible side handle 'TJ Hooker' thing and others have the ASP 'car-antenna-on-steroids': depends on which class and who were 'coachs' for which class...

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Sliding somewhat off topic; have any Massachusetts PD's (Muni \ State)
used the standard PR-24, 1 piece poly-carbonate side handle?
Or was that more a west coast tool during its popularity in the 80's?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I've seen some of them around ...they look to be the exception rather than the rule. Most guys out in the west depend on their flashlight. Now that the ASP is available, it fills the void between long and short sticks...unextended, it's great for doing the intercostal shuffle! :D

They took our short clubs away around the time of the consolidation, with nothing to replace them. They were nice for the day shift (try explaining why you golfed some scumbag with your flashlight at 'high noon'!)

I also carried a "Grafton Barracks Special" short club...but that's a tale for another day!

G

·
I still have one of those archaic PR-24s. It is practical defense, but not easy to carry. There are expandable versions of it available. This came from the martial arts weapon called "tonfa" wich was rectangular instead of round (except for the handle). It can be used for blocking by holding the handle and letting the long part rest along the forearm. Block at an angle to slide the impact off rather than take the brundt of the attack squarely. They were used in pairs also, like the nunchaku or (numchucks in street slang). :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
For 'class B' use, the belt is described similarly except: no cross strap for summer and the "no other items" clause is replaced by "and other authorized equipment".[/quote]

Would a small backup flashlight (stinger etc) on the rig be considered "authorized equipment" especially for a night shifter? Or is it standard practice to just rely on your primary light.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Yes, indeedy! I have several classmates who carry the little stinger...I do...it's just lighter, smaller, etc...not to mention the un-mentioned stuff you carry on your vest...anyway, the little light is great for day (donut) shift, or for those who need flexibility in their assignment!

Remember, if you have to search a dark building for a scumbag...locate the light switch and put 'em all on...darkness is his friend, not yours! :D

Get the stinger with the push button end cap switch...great for momentary target illumination...your first round will provide a 'snapshot' of the target location...and give you away: 'shoot two and screw': double tap and move. 8)

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Kozo,

While you wait for dcs to answer, I'll give you the rundown on NHSP, since it has been almost exactly the same so far:

Class A: "dress" uniform. Dress shoes (not boots), winter pants, long sleeved shirt, blazer, cross strap, duty belt with firearm, spare mags in case, handcuffs in case, and nothing else, and winter felt campaign cover. Very rarely worn.

Class B: "winter" uniform. Boots, winter pants, long sleeved shirt, cross strap, duty belt with firearm, spare mags in case, handcuffs in case, and other authorized items, and winter felt campaign cover.

Class C: "summer" uniform. Boots, summer pants, short sleeved shirt, no cross strap, same duty belt setup, and straw campaign cover.

Class D: if I remember correctly, I believe this is the motorcycle uniform. But I could be wrong.

Class E: "training" uniform. Boots, black BDU pants, no cross strap, same duty belt setup, BDU top, and black baseball hat.

For our duty belt, agency policy says that firearm must be on strong side (obviously), spare mags must be on the weak side, right next to the belt buckle, and vertical. Primary cuffs must be on the back on the weak side, radio must be on the weak side, and taser should be cross-draw on the weak side. Other authorized items (OC, baton, etc.) can go anywhere.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Koz,

Class A is the dress uniform: blouse, jewels, long sleeve shirt, field scarf, breeches, horse boots, sam browne with cross strap, fair leather belt for the breeches, and "cover of the season": garrison or campaign. (military ribbons may be worn on the left breast)

Class B for winter is the same, sans blouse and ribbons.

Class B for summer: short sleeve shirt, "slacks" (boo, hiss!), Corcoran jump boots, campaign cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Phuzz \ DCS - Thanks boys!
:dito: Much appreciated!

Posted Thu Nov 11, 10:12:

Posted Thu Nov 11, 10:17:

I have noticed that the standard Trooper HT-1000 radio is not carried in a leather holder. Instead it swivels by a some sort of a back attachment. Is this an MSP exclusive piece? I have never seen one available. Furthermore does anyone know if I could get one for an HT-1250. I like the fact that it takes away one less leather piece to get marked up.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The MTS 2000 was issued with a metal swivel that attaches into a holding system on your belt. You put it in upside down and then it stays locked when turned right side up (I hope that made sense).

Unfortunately, the clips slide into the back of the battery, and the plastic on the battery that holds the clip in place tends to break after getting in and out of the cruiser numerous times. I eventually switched to a different radio holder on my own, as have many others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.