Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Duty Belt Arrangement

6K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  CCCSD 
#1 ·
My department just bought everyone new duty gear... G&G K-Force; not the greatest stuff but it works. They also issued us Streamlight Stingers w/ holders and a pouch for med gloves. With all this stuff, space is getting a little tight around the waistband. I may have to hire a mini-me to carry some of this gear :lol:

Just wondering how some of you accomodate the batman-like amount of stuff we carry these days....

My setup (may be subject to change) from the buckle and working clockwise:

Glove holder
OC holder
Holster
Multitool case
Cuff strap
Cuff Case
Stinger
Radio
PR-24NX
Mag case

The PR-24NX is just a PITA as the plastic holder breaks on a bi-weekly basis. I'd be interested to know what other officers are wearing so I could streamline my setup. Thanks in advance. :pint:

See less See more
#2 ·
I would loose the glove holder and the multi-tool. Throw the gloves in any pocket and keep the tool in your bag. Now if you have a 42 waist then add a chain saw and a couple of water bottles. Also I'm sure you know you can carry your mags straight up and down if you don't have a gut that gets in the way. :)

#3 ·
From the belt buckle clockwise my set up includes:

Closed cuff case (with chain cuffs)
OC Holder
Holster
Cuff Strap (with comfortable hinged cuffs :) )
Glove Pouch (middle of belt in rear)
Flashlight Ring
Stinger Flashlight
Radio Holder
Baton
Mag Case (Vertical)

I have seen officers with flashlights or batons directly behind their gun, I personally like less on my gun side and avoid cell phones or pagers on the belt. In anycase, use the least amount that is comfortable for you.

#4 ·
It's mostly personal preference. The only real rules you should follow are to have plenty of keepers (whether you use a velcro belt or not), have keepers directly in front and in back of your holster, keep everything and anything as far from your holster as possible and don't put anything hard in the center of your back (like handcuffs). You should also try not to have lots of shiny stuff on your belt and uniform if you work nights.

Some people might take issue with this but I also don't like the idea of big knives in holsters on the belt because it can become a serious weapon retention problem. You should only have to worry about retaining your gun if you are rolling around on the ground.

I wear a mini CPR mask w/ 1 way valve and gloves in a small soft case in the center of my back. It's nice to always have that CPR mask available!

My preference from the buckle clockwise:

Dbl mag pouch, horizontal facing my left - I have found that I can reload faster like this.
keeper
Level III holster
keeper
dbl cuff case w/ 1 pair of lightweight hinge cuffs, extra gloves and radio earpiece
keeper
mini cpr mask and glove case
keeper
radio
Streamlight Strion mini rechargeable flashlight
keeper
Straight expandable Monadnock Autolock w/ Hindi baton cap in Autolock holster
keeper
open cuff case w/blk hinge cuffs
OC spray

I carry a buck knife (1 regular blade and a seatbelt cutter/flat screwdriver blade) clipped into my right front pocket. It's not so obvious and it's pretty hard to pull out.

My set up hasn't changed much in 13 years. I always had guys telling me that I wouldn't be carrying all of that stuff in a few years but so far they have all been wrong. If we get tasers I don't have any space left on my belt.

About your baton:

I carried a PR-24NX for years and only broke the plastic holster once. I would suggest you just get into the habit of entering and exiting your car very carefully to avoid putting pressure on the holster or baton. You will eventually start moving just a little differently and this will take the stress off of the holster. You could also look at the strap type holsters for the PR-24. You will lose some speed when you draw the baton but they seem more secure.

I did convince my chief to switch us from the PR-24 to the straight expandable because people just didn't carry the PR-24. I know the PR-24 is a more powerful tool if you train a lot but if you don't then the straight baton makes much more sense.

#5 ·
My setup, clockwise from the buckle:

nextel in its crappy plastic clip
leather pager case
oc holder
triple retention holster
silent key keeper
1 inch silver ring (dont know why, I've just always had it. I use to keep my stinger in it, and when I got a holder for it, I just never took it off my belt)

chain cuffs in hanging cuff holder (and no, in 10 years I have never stabbed myself in the back sitting on my cuffs :)

nylon glove holder
stinger holder
collapsable baton w/holder
motorola radio holder
duty mags
knife clipped to back of magazine flaps

Still trying to find room for the portable dvd player....

#6 ·
All Bianchi accumold nylon & Safariland SSIII(sig226/40 or Beretta 9mm 2 belts/ 2 depts)

buckle clockwise:(I have lots of landscape)

cuff case(hindged)
keeper
OC
keeper with PD & cuff keys
holster
keeper
Monadanock expandable
cuff case(chain)
keeper
clear back
keeper
glove pouch
polystinger
keeper
radio
keeper
mag pouch

#7 ·
Thanks for all the input. I've already eliminated the glove pouch and the multi-tool from the belt and there's alot more room. Still, the PR-24NX makes things difficlult with the short handle next to the portable all the time. Feels bulky and awkward.

I spoke with my Capt. regarding our officers instant ablility to break the PR holders and offered the expandable straight baton as a possible solution. He said he couldn't "justify throwing away the $1000 the department spent a several years ago" to equip us with the PR's. My concern is that eventully, officers will just stop carrying them, which isn't a good plan.

#8 ·
sgt128-13";p="66573 said:
Thanks for all the input. I've already eliminated the glove pouch and the multi-tool from the belt and there's alot more room. Still, the PR-24NX makes things difficlult with the short handle next to the portable all the time. Feels bulky and awkward.

I spoke with my Capt. regarding our officers instant ablility to break the PR holders and offered the expandable straight baton as a possible solution. He said he couldn't "justify throwing away the $1000 the department spent a several years ago" to equip us with the PR's. My concern is that eventully, officers will just stop carrying them, which isn't a good plan.
Ask him if they will change policy to allow officers the option to carry straight batons. Then the officers can purchase them and obtain their own training if they want.

There is also a possible long-term cost savings for training in the straight vs. the expandable. They are just much easier to use and train with. If you don't train constantly with the PR-24 you will have problems (just watch the guy chopping wood in the Rodney King video to see what I mean)

Here's a $7 solution to your problem: http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product-id/506350.html

$19 : http://www.hi-tec.qc.ca/prod.htm?line=1&prod_id=68&PType=2&lang=en

$35 in leather: http://www.stallionleather.com/prod...id=67&osCsid=ceac7a172bb6bd8533b02e9e857228a8

There are many more but you get the idea.

#9 ·
I have always carried the PR an inch before the seam of my trousers, that leaves enough room for your mag cases, and just enough to push ur radio alittle bit to the back but not uncomfortably.

It seems like you might be able to move one cuff case up front next to the buckle before the oc if you need to move your stinger.

#10 ·
Can we update this thread to better reflect the gear issued to us in 2019 that more effectively helps up to do our jobs? I’d like to get some input. Here’s my current duty belt setup, starting with the buckle and going clockwise.
1) business card dispenser with name, badge number, and contact number for my supervisor and internal affairs
2) single-use portable safe space, inflatable
3) a multi-charger for citizen’s cell phones that plugs into the cruiser
4) get out of jail free cards for any crime, as long as you maintain your innocence and blame it on an unfair system
5) narcan
6) narcan
7) narcan
8) mini-sharps container
9) an electronic tester that checks my privilege
10) two-way radio

#13 ·
Can we update this thread to better reflect the gear issued to us in 2019 that more effectively helps up to do our jobs? I'd like to get some input. Here's my current duty belt setup, starting with the buckle and going clockwise.
1) business card dispenser with name, badge number, and contact number for my supervisor and internal affairs
2) single-use portable safe space, inflatable
3) a multi-charger for citizen's cell phones that plugs into the cruiser
4) get out of jail free cards for any crime, as long as you maintain your innocence and blame it on an unfair system
5) narcan
6) narcan
7) narcan
8) mini-sharps container
9) an electronic tester that checks my privilege
10) two-way radio
By far the best post / reply I've read in a long time HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#11 ·
I have to admit to only ONE Narcan. Our cruisers have the following equipment in them:
1) folder for apology forms (you would think they were easy to use, just check off what you're apologizing for, example, "Saying NO, you can't", "Not taking 20 minutes to explain anything", "Actually asking you to move away while conducting a field interview", "Not preventing your luggage from being stolen even though you left it on the curb in good faith because you saw me drive by", etc.
2) larger box of facial tissues because either I made you cry or you're still upset over the election.
3) Selfie stick incase you're too busy to video our encounter and I have no body camera.

The first, the apology forms are SO cumbersome. Five pages and THEY don't even have to sign. We fill it out, get their name or pseudonym if they choose to give it, then WE have to turn it in to the investigating officer and ask for at least 2 days suspension.

#15 ·
1. Cuffs x2
2. Holster
3. flashlight 1
4. PR24 Baton
5. Cuffs x2
6. Bear Spray
7. multi tool
8. buck knife
9. Spork
9. Tourniquet
10. CPR Kit
11. O2 Bottle
12. Canteen
13. Pesonal Phone
14. Cuffs on strap (pink)
15. AR15 mags x3 (Stacked)
16. Binoculars
17. Radio
18. Work Phone
19. Burner Phone
20. ASP
21. Flashlight #2
22. Mags x2
23. Mags x2
24. Sheepdog/TBL pin on Mag Case
25. Back Up gun in belly holster
26. Extra mags for back up gun inside shirt on vest
27. Flag/TBL/Sheepdog/ Navy SEAL Punisher patches on interior vest (for locker room cred.)
28. Machete in ankle rig
29. Gas Mask (in off side thigh rig)
30. Taser (in strong side thigh rig)
In my 2 years experience I find that this rig works well for me, especially for footposts. Getting in and out of vehicles or foot chases can be challenging. Also fitting through standard size door frames is challenging. Any comments would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.