During CPR, More Chest Compressions Mean More Saved Lives | MassCops

During CPR, More Chest Compressions Mean More Saved Lives

Discussion in 'Fire, EMS & Medical' started by rocksy1826, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rocksy1826

rocksy1826 MassCops Member

Closer attention to compressions is something that's been being pushed for a while now, but here's a new article on it.

During CPR, More Chest Compressions Mean More Saved Lives
    ScienceDaily (2009-09-17) -- The chance that a person in cardiac arrest will survive increases when rescuers doing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) spend more time giving chest compressions, according to a multi-center study.

2. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

this isn't news..AHA has been saying this for years, and we have had new CPR standards for at least two of them..we need to have mandatory CPR for all sheep though, for this to matterdamn it government, get on it!

3. Boston Irish Lass

Boston Irish Lass MassCops Member

Last I heard there's no breaths any more either, just chest compressions.

4. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

If you don't have proper protection available (Mask) then you can do compressions only, the thought process is the compression force air in and out.

5. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Then he's shit out of luck. Roxbury CPR would be administered at that point. Breaths from three feet away and foot chest compressions.

6. LongKnife56

LongKnife56 MassCops Member

I don't know if I could do CPR on that even with the mask that I carry. Yikes.

I could and would do it on my dog, however.

7. LongKnife56

I don't know anything about the AHA or the Red Cross' finances, nor those of certified instructors, but if they want to increase the number of people who are able to do competent CPR, they need to make the classes free. They could use some of their funds to do this and to compensate the instructors who lead the classes.

I got my certification free with the boy scouts, but even they do not have dummies, nor regular classes for this and depend on instructors volunteering their time on an irregular hit or miss basis so my certification is long out of date. However I believe that I would do more good than harm even if I were to use the long out of date 15 and 2.

8. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

CPR alone is borderline USELESS! Without an AED your gonna die! Sorry people but the facts are the facts.

I think this post upsets me because I enjoy the mouth to mouth part of CPR the mostest!! LMFAO!!!

9. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Ya know I do agree with you about the germs, the thing I always say to myself is, "OH! I've put my mouth in worse places after a night out drinking!!"" :t: LMFAO!

10. LongKnife56

Well I suppose if you clear the vomit out first, the mouth to mouth might be passable, but enjoyable? - I don't think so.

Regarding the AED's, while I have never had to use one, the ones I have seen seem to be fairly idiot proof. It's too bad more of them are not readily available, but they are too expensive as sometimes it is not possible for someone with one to get there in a timely basis.

11. MetrowestPD

MetrowestPD MassCops Member

Agree 100%. I have done CPR 40-50 times and unfortunately have a 0% save rate. Although I will always continue to do it, sad to say CPR is for CYA.

12. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I'm not sure if your from the outer part of the state LongKnife but in the eastern part and also inRI I'm seeing them even in the malls. They are absolutely idiot proof, (I mean if I can use one ANYONE can!).
    EXACTLY!!!!!! The public wants to see you doing SOMETHING!

13. sureshot

sureshot MassCops Member

I haven't had much luck with CPR saves. Most of the time the downtime is +10 min before we even get the call, let alone +15 min before we even arrive. At that point you really aren't coming back and it's time to let the young guys to practice their CPR....

However, once in awhile someone happens to witness the event and you are fortunate to be on scene within 5 min. It's those cases where what you do really matters. While the odds are clearly stacked against you, saves do happen.

I will always remember by first save. After 2 stacks on the AED we got back a pulse. By the time paramedics called out, guy was conscious and alert and actually shook my hand. While I really expected to hear from him after that, I of course never did...

14. edward.lee8

edward.lee8 MassCops Member

Called in to Boston to a greatful dead concert 20 years ago. Most of these folks were harmless enough but I've seen better living conditions under the Tobin bridge. They had set up a sort of tent / RV camp behind the Lindeman Mental Health Center (how appropriate). The parking lot was fenced, A Boston Deputy told us "just don't let them get out" , we were outside the fence and some God awful looking deadhead who was extremely stoned (and behind the 8 foot fence) began giving myself and a BPD guy grief. His girlfriend (another trainwreck) also had quite a bit to say. being stoned on the other side of an 8 foot fence apparently is a very liberating experience. Anyway Mr Deadhead begins to have some sort of a siezure, the BPD guy and I flip a coin, I lost. The trainwreck is yelling at me DO SOMETHING. so I told her I am doing something I'm going to get competent medical assistance. thank God health and hospitals was there because I really, really did not want to give this guy CPR. I like to think I would have if I really had to. H&H saved the day.

15. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Boston Deputy? Holy crap I've seen the world come circles. I guess I haven't been around long enough to know that Boston had Deputies. ;-)

(unless of course, you're referring to Suffolk)

16. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

anyone saves my life, and they will be my new best friend forever. every year on the day, i'd send at least a thank you card, maybe some booze :)

17. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I have a sudden urge to save you jed!!! :t:

18. edward.lee8

edward.lee8 MassCops Member

Boston Deputy Superintendant who was still a real working cop.:)

19. BLUE BLOOD

BLUE BLOOD ...---...

My first year on the job, gave CPR to an elderly women, first her dentures then a mouth full of puke! Gargled with ajax for an hour! I detected the subtle hint of FiberCon along with a touch of PoliGrip......

20. texdep

texdep Subscribing Member

CPR Saves Lives!!!!
    I myself am a CPR Save and I received Hands Only---Compressions only for the first few minutes after my arrest and I'm here to tell you it was successful.

I am an instructor and I will tell you that any effort at all is better than nothing. Yes the standards always seem to be changing but if you remember " PUMP HARD PUMP FAST!" you'll do a world of good!!!!

21. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I've been saying this for some time now!! And SHE completely agrees!!! :cool: ;)

22. Rock

Rock Undefined

Might be the nastiest things iI've read in a long time. :-& :uc: