Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm checking out the Durham Police Department in North Carolina. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice for me? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
PM me if you like. I know one guy from there I could call for details. From what I have been told, super high call volume, notoriously huge gang problems. Pay is above average, decent equipment, and even though the city is busy officer morale is OK.

Also, I believe member Homewood (?)works for Raleigh and would know more than me. I am out in the Triad area (Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point).

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
If your white, you'll be lynched by the politics down there. Example The four Duke Lacrosse members who got it tucked up the anus and out their mouths..... Let say it's a shithole!!!!

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Just came across this in the CHARLOTTE OBSERVER:

Barry Saunders, Staff Writer
Receiving a letter from the tax man is like getting one from your first ex-wife's attorney: you know before you open the darned thing that it's not going to contain anything good.That's why I have my vehicle tax bill sitting right here beside me, unopened for two weeks.
Oh well, might as well open it now. Here goes nothing.
Nope. Here goes everything. YIKES! Halloween is still three weeks away, but I've already gotten my fright. There is no way my old plunker is worth that much. The only thing that makes the higher taxes we Durham residents will pay palatable is knowing that some of the money is going to pay cops who deserve more than they are getting and who are now demanding more.
Beverly Thompson, a spokeswoman in the mayor's office, told me "The City Council has allotted money to bring all city employees' salaries up to 'market rate.'" On average, she said, that'll come to $4,400 more for police officers. Under the Council's plan, they'd get half this year and half next.
The officers, understandably, want all of their moolah now and they want a solution to what Thompson cited as "compression problems." Because of the pay scale, some veteran officers could see their salaries compressed and eventually surpassed by new officers the city has recruited.
They think that is fundamentally unfair, and they're right.
Durham is the best place to live in the Triangle but the one place you wouldn't want to be a cop. You don't have to be a Teddy Kennedy liberal to acknowledge that poverty rates adversely affect the crime rate and make being a lawman here that much tougher. And that much more important. Durham's rate is double Raleigh's, for instance.
I don't know about you, but I want happy cops who aren't spending their spare time scanning the want ads to see which departments are paying more than Durham.
Alas, no citizen can pay enough taxes to give cops what they really deserve. That's why the business community should join in the effort to help the dollars they do make go further. For instance, there used to be a television station in Durham on which Realtors advertised houses for sale. That was, of course, back when some people could actually afford to buy houses. One Realtor famously advertised lower interest rates for cops, firefighters and teachers. There used to be apartment complexes that offered them deals on rentals, too. Not only is that good business -- having a cruiser in the parking lot or an off-duty cop in the laundry room would be a deterrent to bad guys -- but it would also show prospective officers how much this community values our department. There is nobody I'd want living next door to me more than a cop who drives his cruiser home or mows his lawn while wearing his or her uniform.
OK, maybe a 35-year-old cutie who doesn't care about looks, but hey, how likely are you to find one of those? Even if you find one, she won't be much good if someone tries to break into your house.

·
Registered
253 Posts
any big city agency here in north carolina will have a high call volume and pleanty of people to put in jail. down south, the sheriff's offices have more power than the local agencies just for the mere fact that as a deputy sheriff you patrol the whole county instead of the city limits. if i were you, i would apply to any agency hiring, you will have a better chance of getting picked up especially if you are prior law enforcement. also, most if not all agencies will give you a take home patrol vehicle, which is a big plus!

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
any big city agency here in north carolina will have a high call volume and pleanty of people to put in jail. down south, the sheriff's offices have more power than the local agencies just for the mere fact that as a deputy sheriff you patrol the whole county instead of the city limits. if i were you, i would apply to any agency hiring, you will have a better chance of getting picked up especially if you are prior law enforcement. also, most if not all agencies will give you a take home patrol vehicle, which is a big plus!
Did I miss something? You went to NC? Why would you turn your back on BIDMC? TIM! BEN!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok guys a lot of bad things have been said about my department and I am here to set you straight. I transfered from Mass as a police officer to Durham after 10 years up north. I have been police officer in NC for 5 years ( 15 total as a PO) and I must say it is a great place to live and work. Our department has 512 sworn officers and 5 poilice districts. You have a great oppurtunity to get in on a police department that is going through retirements and there is great movement after about 2 years in patrol.

Since I came here I have worked in Patrol, Transit and now recruiting as a background investigator (in 5 years). We have every speciality under the sun along with great weather and decent pay. You can buy a home here for under $ 200,000 and actually enjoy life and have fun. We retire at 80 to 100 percent of our pay down here because of several NC laws that supplement our retirement.

The city of Durham is a great city to live and work. Like any other city it has it bad areas and stigmas that go with it. You show me one place in america that is perfect and I will show you someone who is lying. We are located 2 hours form the beach and 2 hours from the mountains. We serve a city of over 220,00o residents and is the fourth largest city in NC. We have great entertainment venues along with some great educational institutions (Duke, North Carolina Central University) which will afford you to get a great education at great price (in state tuition rate is really cheap here).

We have lots of off duty (details) down here and we don't direct traffic. We get paid cash for some of our jobs which is awesome. I personally work 15 to 20 jobs per month and most are security for clubs, stores, churches and the schools etc. We also do work at Duke for basketball, football etc.

You can PM me for more information, but I will be posting some more information for anyone who wants it. We are always hiring and have better that 60 openings at this time. We never have layoffs down here !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts