DUI | MassCops

DUI

Discussion in 'Civil Service' started by cpoplaski1234, Apr 7, 2019.

1. cpoplaski1234

cpoplaski1234 New Member

I was wondering if any COs would know if a Misdemeanor DUI would disqualify me during the background check during the hiring process. I’ve called the HR department and could not get a clear answer. Thank you.

2. Jrod6

Jrod6 MassCops Member

DUI, 209A (violation) and any drug related arrests/ crimes are usually 99.9% No Go.

Joel98 likes this.
  3. cpoplaski1234

cpoplaski1234 New Member

I do have a security clearance for my current position. I didn’t know if that would help.

4. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

It depends on the disposition of the first offense OUI. In many cases, these dispositions are not actual "Guilty" findings but some sort of alternative dispositions. If you have a straight "guilty" it will be next to impossible in MA to get a job which requires a firearm because you will be statutorily disqualified.

5. Bananaman

Bananaman MassCops Member

Boots been in the academy for a few weeks and now he's an expert.
    A lot of screws have gotten on with DUI's, as long as enough time has passed. Usually 5 years.

yellowlabs68 likes this.
  6. cpoplaski1234

cpoplaski1234 New Member

Great. Thank you.

7. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Hmmm, best talk with an attorney. Mass is a tough state

8. Bananaman

Bananaman MassCops Member

A good comparison of officers in a similar position to you could be made by reading bypass appeals for the DOC regarding DUI's.

9. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

The worst you can get is a “no”. Just be honest.

But if you got popped for DUI in the last 3 years don’t be surprised if you get passed over.

10. pahapoika

Thought 1996 was the cutoff date. Anything after that was considered a felony because you could potentially be incarcerated for over two and a half years.

Not sure what a DUI misdemeanor is unless that's an out-of-state thing. If it's deemed a misdemeanor and continued without a finding . . . . .

They have attorneys that charge big bucks to get you out of these kinds of situations. After a conviction the process gets pretty tough. Trying to reopen the case and getting the charge reduced or thrown out and then of course the Holy Grail of a them all - Governor's pardon !

Of course just goofing around. Find an attorney that specializes in this sort of thing and take the mystery out of it.

Edmizer1 and Goose like this.
  11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

A first offense OUI is a misdemeanor. A 3rd offense OUI or OUI with death/serious injury is a felony.

pahapoika likes this.
  12. pahapoika

Thank you for the education sir :cool:

Bloodhound likes this.
  13. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

In 1996 first offense OUI was a 2 year misdemeanor. After 1996 it became a 2.5 year misdemeanor meaning that a straight guilty conviction makes you ineligible for a LTC.

pahapoika and Bloodhound like this.
  14. pahapoika

That's what I was trying to think of ;)