Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hanson native identified as Wareham drowning victim

Joann, Daniel and Paul Kelley

By Jessica Scarpati
GateHouse News Service
Posted Oct 03, 2008 @ 05:26 PM
Last update Oct 03, 2008 @ 06:29 PM
WAREHAM -
Police today identified Thursday night's drowning victim as Daniel Kelley, 33, of Raynham, a native of Hanson.

Kelley, a Barnstable County corrections officer, was pulled from Agawam Mill Pond at 9:53 a.m. today, following a nearly 15-hour search by rescue divers.

Kelley, who grew up in Hanson and graduated from Whitman-Hanson Regional High School in 1993, moved to Raynham three years ago, his family said today.

Kelley drowned following a fishing trip with two friends on the pond, which is off Glen Charlie Road. The other two people in the boat were unharmed, his relatives said.

Check this site and the Weekend edition of The Patriot Ledger or Saturday's Enterprise for more information.

Jessica Scarpati can be reached at [email protected].

http://www.patriotledger.com/homepage/x1471005249/Raynham-man-identified-as-Wareham-drowning-victim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raynham man's body pulled from Agawam pond

By Jessica Scarpati
GateHouse News Service
Posted Oct 04, 2008 @ 02:00 AM
RAYNHAM -
Daniel Kelley had caught the big one.

After a summer of fishing in Wareham, he went with his buddies to Agawam Mill Pond Thursday night for one last hurrah before the New England air got too chilly.

But the autumn fishing trip ended in tragedy, when Kelley, 33, resident of Raynham and a Hanson native, drowned after an apparent medical incident caused him to fall out of their raft into the dark waters just before 7 p.m., his family said Friday.

Rescue workers pulled the body of the Barnstable County corrections officer from the pond about 15 hours later.

"He usually went (fishing) two or three times a week," his sister, Jackie Tremblett, 39, of Raynham, said Friday evening. "He was just an amateur fisherman, but it was his favorite pasttime."

The night that ended in tears had begun with laughter.

Kelley and his friend, Mike Tannian of Hanson, were reeling in a big largemouth bass, his sister said Friday.

The pair, and Tannian's girlfriend, navigated their blue and white raft toward nearby homes and got someone to snap a picture of the prize.

Something about Kelley didn't look right, his sister said. The color had drained from his face. His mood changed.

He said he wanted to go to his car. He kept insisting the fish needed to get into a bucket of water.

"No, no, no. I don't catch fish to eat them. I don't want it to die. I just want to get the measurements," his sister said Kelley told his friends.
Then his nose started bleeding. He began to convulse. He clutched his chest, she said. He stood up, and the 250-pound bodybuilder pitched face-first into the pond.

His friends dived in, but the wind dragged them away. They had no cell phones on the boat and screamed for the person who had photographed the fish to dial 911, his sister said.

Rescue crews arrived at the pond, off Glen Charlie Road, around 7 p.m. Thursday.

Kelley was pulled from the pond at 9:53 a.m. Friday.

He was the youngest of seven children,known affectionately by friends and family as "Danny," the quirky and disorganized one.

"He just had this way about him," Tremblett said. "Kids just loved him. He'd get down on his knees, go down to their level, rub their back. They just glowed around him."

After graduating from Bridegwater State College in 2002 with a double- major in physical education and occupational therapy, Kelley went to work as a home aide for children with autism.

He later worked at Pembroke Hospital as a mental health aide, his sister said, working on patient safety and care.

A little over a year ago, he got the job at the Barnstable County jail.
Donning the blue uniform was one of his proudest moments, Tremblett said. It seemed like a job designed for her brother.

"He was just a really patient and understanding person, so he treated everybody with respect," Tremblett added. "Not everybody has the patience, personality and temperament to be a correctional officer."

Jessica Scarpati can be reached at [email protected].

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/x...nd-when-he-became-ill-and-fell-inot-the-water

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very devastated by Dan's death. He was one of my best friends I ever had in my life. I went to High School with him and graduated with him in 1994 (he graduated in '94, not 1993 as the newspapers stated). We remained close afterwards for years until I moved to South Carolina then Florida but he was always in my thoughts and prayers. He was a great person, a great friend and was there for me when I needed him most. Words are hard to express how I feel right now. This is the saddest moment in my life since my mom died last year. May my buddy RIP!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very devastated by Dan's death. He was one of my best friends I ever had in my life. I went to High School with him and graduated with him in 1994 (he graduated in '94, not 1993 as the newspapers stated). We remained close afterwards for years until I moved to South Carolina then Florida but he was always in my thoughts and prayers. He was a great person, a great friend and was there for me when I needed him most. Words are hard to express how I feel right now. This is the saddest moment in my life since my mom died last year. May my buddy RIP!
I'm very sorry for your loss, Dan sounds like he was a really good person.

There's a special place in heaven for those who work with autistic kids.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
33 years old and doing the right things in life... What a GD shame.
Delta said:
There's a special place in heaven for those who work with autistic kids.
You said it my friend.

RIP Dan..

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,540 Posts
RIP, Brother. Sad way to go but for the sake of all, I'm glad you were found.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great guy.

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
R.I.P. That is so sad. I am so sorry for your loss otottobc2 and family. He sounded like a great guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.