Driving While Illegal | MassCops

Driving While Illegal

Discussion in 'Illegal Immigration Issues' started by adroitcuffs, Jul 3, 2008.

1. adroitcuffs

adroitcuffs Subscribing Member

Safety checkpoints put illegal immigrants in line to lose cars, sometimes more

08:40 AM PDT on Thursday, July 3, 2008

[SIZE=-1]By JULISSA McKINNON and SARAH BURGE[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]The Press-Enterprise[/SIZE]

Deymi Barrios, a 25-year-old stay-at-home mom and illegal immigrant, had her car towed away from a checkpoint in Romoland because she was driving without a license.
    Wrestling car seats from her Ford Focus as her two young children cried, she said she understood why deputies impounded her car.
    "I know that the law is the law," Barrios said in Spanish. "But because I don't have papers, I can't get a license."
    Story continues below

[​IMG]
    Silvia Flores/The Press-Enterprise ​

Deymi Barrios, of San Jacinto, carries car seats as she walks with daughter Lucero, 4. She was returning from driving her children to school when she came upon the checkpoint. Her car was impounded because as an illegal immigrant, she lacks a driver’s license.

Daytime checkpoints are gaining popularity among police as a way to make roads safer by taking cars from unlicensed drivers. But immigrant advocates say many of those caught up in checkpoints are not people with records of driving dangerously, just illegal immigrants who, like Barrios, cannot get a license at all.
    Barrios chose to drive her 5-year-old son to school anyway May 5 because she did not want him to wait outside for the bus while he sniffled with a cold.
    Her car was one of 75 taken away on the spot in southwestern Riverside County as part of a safety checkpoint put on by the Sheriff's Department. Anyone who failed to produce a license was ushered off Highway 74 through a gantlet of orange cones, where tow trucks were queued up like taxis at an airport.
    Barrios, who came here illegally from Mexico seven years ago, worried about her husband's reaction to the $1,000-plus cost of retrieving their car.
    "We'll probably have to cut our telephone service," she said. "The only thing that could have made this worse is if immigration was here."

(an excerpt from later in the same article)
    Jose Gonzalez, 40, of Perris, an illegal immigrant who has lived in the United States for two decades and whose daughter is a U.S. citizen, has had several vehicles impounded by police, including two at checkpoints. Twice, he has abandoned his impounded vehicles.
    A month after his SUV was impounded at a checkpoint, Gonzalez, his daughter and a friend went toTown & Country tow yard in Perris to recover the vehicle. All told, this run-in with police cost about $1,700.
    Gonzalez's friend, who has a driver's license, claimed the vehicle for him. But outside the gate, Gonzalez drove it away.

Full article: http://www.pe.com/localnews/immigration/stories/PE_News_Local_S_checkpoint03.44350fa.html

Common denominator? ILLEGAL!! You want to live here for 20 years? Follow the L-A-W. I'm so very tired of the stories of woe. These law-breakers are using services every day that are paid for by Americans and then they want to complain that "It's just not fair!" Of course, there are always the sympathizers like the oh-so-ignorant Senator Gil Cedillo who think California should issue driver's licenses to illegals. (Gee, does that comment make me a man-hater now??) Illegal means illegal. In the article, an immigrant rights activists says that these checkpoints make "immigrants wary of police". Wake up! If you're here illegally, you damn well should be "wary" of police! Don't want to worry about such things? Then don't come here illegally - plain and simple!!

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I've been citing 2-3 illegal Brazilians a month lately, just as the result of routine traffic stops & responding to crashes. When they have no license or give you a fake one, what else are we supposed to do?

Immigration is a federal issue, but traffic laws are the responsibilty of state and local police.

3. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Call ICE sometimes they will come pick them up. I was shocked when I learned they would pick one up if we held them until they came.

4. bbelichick

bbelichick Moderator Staff Member

In related news, advocates for Drug Traffickers say that Narcotics Interdiction makes drug dealers "wary of police".

Also, the ACLU and advocates for wife beaters have claimed that Domestic Violence Laws have damaged their clients relationship with Law Enforcement and made them "less likely to report a crime".

5. Nighttrain

Nighttrain MassCops Member

CJIS,

Our experience has been that they need have an active ICE warrant for the agents to come out. The weak point in that process is having a dispatcher who actually knows how to run one. The agents have been pretty responsive in coming out. It suprised me as well.

6. OCKS

OCKS Guest

Boo Hoo Hoo Go Home.

7. SargeLorenzo

SargeLorenzo MassCops Member

Oh, so sorry to inconvenience you. Nope, not driving dangerously, just unlicensed! The cops in your country would probably take the contents of your wallet, if you're lucky that's all they do. Please go back where you came from and tell everyone how horrible it is here.

8. PearlOnyx

PearlOnyx Subscribing Member

ICE often times won't even come out for a warrant. They'll usually call me on my cell phone, ask me to confirm a few things with the suspect, and they'll go ahead and confirm the warrant, and we end up transporting him and doing the detainer paperwork. They will come out however, if you stop something with a large amount of illegals in it. Although, that is hit or miss as well.

9. adroitcuffs

adroitcuffs Subscribing Member

With ICE, it really depends on who's working, what supervisor is on, and what changes are going on in the upper eschelon. I've had pretty good luck with the guys in my area coming out, mostly dependent upon the supervisor. Only rarely has the response been dependent upon an immigration warrant. The one thing for certain is they won't pick someone up who is under the influence. The biggest problem is our governmental lack-of-spine in dealing with immigration violations. ICE is way understaffed for what needs to be done. Still, I'll keep doing as much as I can in my little corner of the world, whether it's issuing multiple citations or beyond. They can all go cry themselves an illegal river.

10. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

I wonder what an illegal could do to avoid having to worry about being an unlicensed driver or nervous about approaching a policeman? Oh, wait! I know! Stay in your country of origin. If you don't like it, then do something to make it better. That is how the United States became the nation it is. Citizens did something to make it a better country (what a novel concept).

11. Simon

Simon Guest

I wont waste my time anymore......... The mall is too busy to waste my time when the court does NOTHING to these people. Serious accidents and OUI different story but "routine" traffic stops they get FULL BOAT civil cites from me. Then when I stop them the next time, they have a warrant for payment default. Hopefully right at 755am for a little Oscar Tango........... ;)

12. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

In speaking with an ICE agent, he said most of them will simply adopt a new fake name if they know they have a warrant under their old fake name. If they don't have rock-solid identification (a real Brazilian license....yes, they do exist) I arrest for 90-10 to get their fingerprints in the system, and probably 50% or more pop with either a prior deportation, an ICE warrant or a WMS warrant under a different name.

13. Kem25

Kem25 New Member

The new fake name is very common....Had one the other night who came back with a different name. His response was I gave the cops a fake name last time but I gave you my real name.... It's just sad the courts are dismissing all the charges for a couple hundred in court costs.

14. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

What a shock in this state...I'm surprised they don't award the defendant money for daring to interfere with his time.

15. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I don't keep track of my criminal cases where I don't have to go to court (with Quincy District Court it would be depressing beyond words), so I just keep plugging away. If the court wants to dismiss the cases, it's going to be on them when (and it's when, not if) one of these unlicensed illegals kills someone. Then it will suddenly become a huge problem, with the inevitable dramatic press releases from the pious politicians and the media no doubt finding blame with us somehow.

16. bbelichick

You mean driving drunk, with a a stolen plate, going the wrong way around a rotary and hitting another vehicle causing injury before crashing through the fence of a State Police Barracks doesn't cut it? Silly me.

Three injured in wrong-way crash
    Posted by The Republican Newsroom July 09, 2007 06:56AM
    By MARY ELLEN LOWNEY
    [email protected]

SPRINGFIELD -- Three city men were injured early this morning following a high-speed ride down Liberty Street that ended when the driver went the wrong way through the Armory Street Rotary over Interstate 291.

State police said the 21-year-old driver, an illegal alien from Mexico, now faces six charges along with a visit from federal immigration authorities.

Police are not releasing his name, or the names of his two passengers, pending the investigation.

Police said the driver rear-ended a car on Liberty Street near the Springfield Plaza at about 2:30 a.m., and then took off headed south on Liberty Street at a high rate of speed.

When he reached the rotary, he went straight rather than turn right as required. He crashed through a fence at the State Police Barracks and hit the concrete barriers set up there, police said.

All three men were injured in the crash, and were taken by ambulance to Baystate Medical Center, police said. None of the three was wearing a seat belt as required by law.

None of the injuries is serious, police said.

The driver, who is still in the hospital, will be charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, speeding, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, driving an uninsured motor vehicle and improper attachment of license plates, police said.

State police said the driver also faces an oustanding warrant on charges that date back to February, when he was driving the same car with stolen license plates in Springfield. He failed to appear in court on a scheduled date after that arrest.

State police have notified the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement about the man.

17. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Nope....there will have to be a young child killed as the result of an illegal alien driver to gain any attention. Then there will be the hue and cry for "Jennifer's Law" which will be gutted fore & aft by the defense lawyer legislators, Coupe Deval will sign the watered-down bill, everyone but the victims will feel good about themselves, and life will go on.

Except for the child killed by the illegal alien driver.

18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You heard it here first; on July 5, 2008 at 2:23pm, Delta784 predicts that within the next 2 years, there will be an attempt in the Legislature to make 90-10 not arrestable.

19. bbelichick

What, you think you're Kreskin? By 2011 in Massachusetts you'll be able to drive without a license with a pound of weed and 200 hypodermic needles while burning the american flag out the window, talking on your cellphone and not wearing your seatbelt....hell, if Fagan has his way, you will be able to do all that and molest a child without doing jail time.

And don't get me going on Amherst...

20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Except for the pound of weed and unlicensed, you're already good to go with the rest provided there isn't a primary infraction for the seatbelt.

21. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

AMEN BROTHER............THATS the way to do it. Sure it takes a little bit of work but once the prints are in.....no matter where they go, no matter what name they give, prints are prints. They can run but not hide.

If that type of logic didnt work.....I wouldnt have arrested/located/turned in for deportation almost 100 yes 100 illegals in just shy of 6 years.