Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

If a driver hands you a valid foreign license + passport + IDP would you cite them 90/10?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
International student here on an F-1 visa, have not been here for a full year yet. I have a valid passenger car license from a country that is part of the Convention that MA recognises. If the RMV is correct, I am allowed to drive on the road (as long as I carry the license, passport with entry stamp and an international driving permit) and I am not breaking any laws.

However I have heard of cops citing 90/10 on foreign licenses. I have a legitimate and valid license (fake Brazilian permits are available on the internet apparently) as well as the official IDP and passport. If I get pulled over, would it be cause to cite me even if I showed you those documents?

I technically would not have established residency in MA as I stay on campus and I do not work. I would use a car sharing service such as Zipcar. I am planning to get a Class D license in the next month but would like to still drive in the meantime.

·
Super Moderator
6,582 Posts
Just tell them you have no license and speak no English. They will let you go. At least in Everett after you're in an at - fault accident with an ambulance en route to a call with lights and sirens.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goose and CCCSD

·
Administrator
453 Posts
Yep - Geneva Convention participating country's licenses are recognized and allowed. For a while too

No CDL though, even if the foreign one is, they're allowed to drive only"Class D" and "M".

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
International student here on an F-1 visa

official IDP and passport.
On a student VISA you can remain on the road with your valid foreign license for up to one year w/o establishing residency and such.

There is NO SUCH THING as an international drivers permit/license/paper/whateverthefuck those "exist" but they are only a mere translation of what you information says. There are not, can not, and shall not be recognized as valid documentation to drive.

Reactions: 38bigblock

·
Get off my lawn!
3,592 Posts
There is NO SUCH THING as an international drivers permit/license/paper/whateverthefuck those "exist" but they are only a mere translation of what you information says. There are not, can not, and shall not be recognized as valid documentation to drive.
I stopped a guy from Israel a few months back his license was all in Hebrew. Me:"so the upside down Pi symbol is your first name or last?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts