1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver Thought Hit Pedestrian Was Mattress

POSTED: 11:15 am EDT August 25, 2005
UPDATED: 11:27 am EDT August 25, 2005

A woman who hit and killed a pedestrian in Brevard County Wednesday said she thought a mattress may have flipped onto her car when questioned about why she left the scene of the crash, according to a report.

Brevard County sheriff's investigators plan to reconstruct an apparent hit-and-run crash that left one Cape Canaveral woman dead Wednesday and another injured, Local 6 News parnter Florida Today reported.

The accident happened about 8:38 p.m. as the 50-year-old pedestrian was walking across North Atlantic Avenue at Justamere Road.

Investigators believe the woman, still unidentified Thursday morning, may have been heading toward a convenience store when a small white car traveling the 45 mph speed limit struck her.

The pedestrian was hit by the right front side of the car, tossed onto the hood and knocked off the passenger side door mirror, officials said.

She suffered serious head injuries and was airlifted to the trauma center at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne where she was later pronounced dead, officials said.

An eyewitness at the scene followed a white Geo Metro to the 8000 block of Ridgewood Avenue. Sheriff's investigators found the driver and questioned her about the incident, officials said.

"She acknowledged she hit something but thought she hit a mattress. She even told her husband," said Sgt. Ronnie Crane of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office.

The couple did not go back to the scene of the incident, Crane said.

"It sounds kind of iffy but that's why this is an ongoing investigation. We've interviewed her and charges are pending," Crane said.

The sheriff's office did not release the name of the driver, pending the outcome of the investigation.

The area where the hit and run happened is heavily residential, with a number of condominiums, gas stations and a smattering of shops.

Anyone with information on the accident is asked to call the sheriff's office at (321) 633-7162.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2005 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:-k A mattress?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Hey I've been in Fl. and hit worse then a mattress, but still I think if it was a person, we may have known....I wonder how old the driver was.

·
1,334 Posts
Mattress vs. Human???? There are some distinguishable differences there I would think she could have noticed. Unless she closed her eyes when she hit the pedestrian. Definately and interesting explanation.

·
1,952 Posts
Woman: "I should find out where that mattress came from so I don't buy one. When I hit it really hard this red stuff came out of it" 8-O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.