Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts
Re: Trooper won't face charges in fatal shooting

Clouseau said:
PBC FL Cop said:
"I really don't know, because I don't pay attention to things that are happening," Mr. Dingui replied. . QUOTE]

That has to be the line of the year.

It's comforting to know that what ever happens at work tonight, I might be second guessed by some bomb tossing clown questioning my split second decision as he sips his cappuccino in the comfort and security of his chambers {Providing it's between his hours of Tues-Thursday, 10:00am-2:00pm}.

Careful guys. The national trend of trying cops for excessive force and civil rights violations is on the rise. These "quarterbacks" are the same lovely people that are throwing our military under the bus and trying them for war crimes before they know all the facts of what's going on in the desert thousands of miles away. All as our boys are getting their heads sawed off by the enemy.

On another note troops, get ready for the next To/From letter coming your way. The one that says, "You will call in all plates of vehicles stopped.
And just why would you not call in a plate when making a stop? Inconvenience?

It's been a standard safety practice in many if not most departments for decades. If an officer on the road got injured or killed, there would at least be a starting point for an investigation.

If you don't like the rules, you might think about finding a new game.

NFAfan [b said:
And just why would you not call in a plate when making a stop? Inconvenience? [/b]

Many reasons, different options.

If you played my game you would know this. You would also know it's not a rule.

"As African-American males we train our children what to do if they get stopped by the police. Don't move your hands. Show your hands
".
Apparently they left out the part about "Don't flee. Don't try to run over the Policemen in the street with your car."

That might have helped here.

Nachtwächter said:
Ms. Johnson also criticized reports of the incident that included information about her son's 1997 brush with the law, when he was convicted and sentenced to four years in prison for firing shots at Fitchburg College students.

"They make him sound like the meanest villain so they can justify Trooper Gray's actions,"
He sure doesn't sound like a great guy to me. Perhaps Ms Johnson would like to consult the 4 College students her lovely son shot at for a character reference?

Clouseau said:
[/b]

Many reasons, different options.

If you played my game you would know this. You would also know it's not a rule.
Didn't say it was a rule, I said it was a practice, one used by many departments for the safety of their officers. The "rules" I was referring to was treatment of the public.

I played "the game" and had my fill of it. You were probably still in diapers at the time.

One of the reasons for the higher incidence of procecutions of cops for civil rights violations and excessive force is because there is a higher incidence of it happening. This country has undergone a severe polarization between citizens and law enforcement over the past few decades and it has not been for the better for either party.

You get what you give out on the road most of the time. I'm sure you'd be the first one on the phone to someone if a cop gave your wife or mother or other family member a ration of shit or mistreatment that was uncalled for. Treat others like you would want your family to be treated, it goes a long way.

NFAfan said:
The "rules" I was referring to was treatment of the public.

Who said anything about mistreating the public?

I played "the game" and had my fill of it. You were probably still in diapers at the time.

Not if you were born in 56. I'm older than I look.

One of the reasons for the higher incidence of procecutions of cops for civil rights violations and excessive force is because there is a higher incidence of it happening.

Are you kidding? The cops of yesterday invented the would shampoo. When people said the cops gave them a tune-up, it wasn't in the police garage. Guys on my job were routinely sending shots down range and never writing about it. They weren't even picking up their shells. I believe the increase is due to a sue happy society and no shortage of scum bag lawyers. It's easy money to sue the police today. The cities and states are just writing checks because it's cheaper than defending themselves.

I'm sure you'd be the first one on the phone to someone if a cop gave your wife or mother or other family member a ration of shit or mistreatment that was uncalled for.

Yes, but I wouldn't be calling my civil rights lawyer.

Treat others like you would want your family to be treated, it goes a long way.

I agree, but what does calling off plates and the trooper being cleared have to do with the mistreatment of the public? It almost sounds like you're on Johnson's defense team.

NFAfan said:
One of the reasons for the higher incidence of procecutions of cops for civil rights violations and excessive force is because there is a higher incidence of it happening.
Absolute garbage. Todays cops are more educated and LESS likely to use force. The increased complaints are due to sue happy lawyers, a diminished sense of responsibility and a hyper sensitive, politically correct public.

The things people call "excessive force" these days would be considered a routine arrest in the 60's and 70's.

"As African-American males we train our children what to do if they get stopped by the police. Don't move your hands. Show your hands."

While you're at it, Once you African-Americans get paroled, then maybe you can teach your children not to get pulled over in the first place.

Somehow, teaching my children what to do when they get pulled over by the police has never really become a priority in my family.

NFAfan, not sure for what department you work for I understand the reason for calling in the plates and yes it would be a great security measure for our own safety. Unfortunately, unlike a local department, our (MSP) primary focus is the road. We don't make house calls (except for B and C Troop), and we don't deal with a lot of the calls that your department probably gets tied up with. When your out there making 20-40 mv stops a night like I do, share the radio with 2-3 other barracks, with at least 2-3 patrols at each barracks making the same amount of stops, desk officers dispatching calls, how are you suppose to be able to get a word in on the radio. That comes out to about 200-300 mv stops a night. How would you like to hear 200-300 mv stops on the radio of your department every shift you work?

It sounds good, it IS good, and it works for some depts, unfortuantely, not ours. You just have to use your head and stay focused and use your training and proper patrol procedures. If it helps, I have a MDT in my crusier, and when I go to stop a car I punch the plate into the computer before I get out in case anything happens. Then at least they'll know what to look for when the invest occurs. :martini:

NFAfan said:
Clouseau said:

And just why would you not call in a plate when making a stop? Inconvenience?

It's been a standard safety practice in many if not most departments for decades. If an officer on the road got injured or killed, there would at least be a starting point for an investigation.

You're right, Q5...I have wanted to post words to that affect. In Troop B you have six barracks on the same freq...just can't tie up the air with 9s/11s...

:eek:t:

In a perfect world, every barracks would have its own freq...but heck, in Troop B we don't even have one freq that works everywhere. I was in Monterey the other day...no highband, no cell phone svc...I don't know if my pager would have worked (it doesn't at C7)

I was talking to the radio guy the other day (reprogramming) and I told him that when the 800 was originally being installed (just after the abort...er... consolidation) the Motorola guys at GHQ (SPA Framingham was being renovated) thought they could get away with 6 repeaters. A few years later they figured 11 repeaters. Radio said that they are now talking 30 (count-em: thirty) repeaters.

Needless to say, many of us will be retired before the troop is covered by the new system (or the new system is replaced by "sub-space" radio).:BNANA:

Absolute garbage. Todays cops are more educated and LESS likely to use force. The increased complaints are due to sue happy lawyers, a diminished sense of responsibility and a hyper sensitive, politically correct public.

The things people call "excessive force" these days would be considered a routine arrest in the 60's and 70's.
Absolutely true....what force is NFA a member of...the People's Republic of Cambridge?

When your out there making 20-40 mv stops a night like I do,
Wow dude, you are the man. If you have an 03 or higher MSP cruiser with a huckeypuck antenna, you have GPS so they can find out where you are if need be. The system is up and running at GHQ, at least that is what I heard from TransCor, the main company that installs GPSs in New England. On another note, we have GPS in our units too and I call every stop in with location so my partner can and dispatch can know where I am but also the surrounding town PDs(we scan each other) in case I need help, they know exactly where I will be. I don't see why you can't call the stop in quick with plate and location, takes 5 seconds. It could save your life.

Here's the problem with a lot of the shit that goes down in the US now a days.
There are too many cowards running the flucking place. There are too many people that have made no sacrifice for the rights and privileges we have in this country.
There are too many who would second guess those that actually know what a sacrifice is running around shooting their mouths off.

If nothing else I may have not done much in my life to protect the rights and freedoms of my fellow citizens but I at least know when to say thank you to those that have and do.

dcs2244 said:
I was talking to the radio guy the other day (reprogramming) and I told him that when the 800 was originally being installed (just after the abort...er... consolidation) the Motorola guys at GHQ (SPA Framingham was being renovated) thought they could get away with 6 repeaters. A few years later they figured 11 repeaters. Radio said that they are now talking 30 (count-em: thirty) repeaters.
The agency I started my career with went from a UHF repeater system to 800mhz, and had nothing but problems with it. I understand they're now back on a UHF repeater.

My admittedly limited knowledge of radios is that the higher the MHZ number, the shorter distance the radio waves will carry, so a 800mhz system needs a ton of repeaters/satellite transmitters.

As recently as a few years ago, I remember seeing MSP cruisers with the low-band whip antennas, has that been totally phased-out?

Q5POS said:
When your out there making 20-40 mv stops a night like I do, share the radio with 2-3 other barracks, with at least 2-3 patrols at each barracks making the same amount of stops, desk officers dispatching calls, how are you suppose to be able to get a word in on the radio.
20-40 stops a night? That's about 6 month's worth of stops for me. :smile:

Seriously, I can appreciate the PITA it would be to call-in every stop, but even if the dispatchers don't acknowledge it, at least put it out so it's on tape, should the stop turn to shit.

Delta, the HF freq (around 42 MC) is still in use...the Troop B cars still have the 1/4 wave whip...back east they have the 1/8 wave...similar in size to a CB antenna. There are still places around the troop where it is useless...dead spots.

Discussion starter · #78 ·
Lawyer sues trooper in '05 shooting

By Jeannie M. Nuss

Globe Correspondent / July 23, 2008

A Boston lawyer filed a federal lawsuit yesterday against a State Police trooper who fatally shot an unarmed Worcester man after a high-speed chase in Fitchburg in 2005.

In the wrongful death lawsuit, the lawyer, Stephen Hrones, accuses Trooper Donald C. Gray of using excessive force and violating the civil rights of the man he shot and killed, Preston Johnson, a 30-year-old father of three.
As administrator of Johnson's estate, Hrones said in the suit that he is seeking compensatory and punitive damages in addition to lawyer's fees. He did not specify an amount.
State Police declined to comment. Johnson's family and Gray could not be reached for comment.
About 2 a.m. on Nov. 3, 2005, authorities said Gray shot Johnson after a police chase in Fitchburg in what Gray contended was self-defense.
On June 20, 2006, Worcester District Attorney John J. Conte declined to prosecute Gray despite a judge's report that the trooper had engaged in "wanton and reckless conduct," according to court records and lawyers involved in the case.
The pursuit began after Johnson's sport utility vehicle crossed the center line on Route 12 in Fitchburg and nearly hit Gray's marked cruiser, according to reports by Framingham District Court Judge Robert V. Greco, who was assigned to the case.
Gray, accompanied by Fitchburg police Officer Douglas Darton in another marked vehicle, chased Johnson through a residential neighborhood, Hrones's suit said.
The pursuit ended with Darton's car in front of Johnson's and Gray's car behind Johnson, the lawsuit said. Johnson attempted to drive away. Gray fired one bullet toward the SUV, striking him in the head.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/07/23/lawyer_sues_trooper_in_05_shooting/

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.