Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts
Re: Man shot by trooper is dead

"Turning his life around " ....B*llsh&t! The guy was an a*shole and if he wasn't such an a*shole, he'd be alive today. Now he won't be back out on the street in 6 months doing it again. Now he won't have the chance to upgrade from attempted murder to full blown murder. Now thousands of decent citizens won't have to shell out more tax money, so this d*uchebag can sit in a prison, get 3 meals a day, get a free education and associate with friends. Oh well... I guess I'm just a cold hearted bastard. As far as Tpr. Grey, 2 medals should be pinned on his chest, 1 for putting himself in harms way and trying to take this sh*tbag off the street and the second for surviving all the b.s. that he's going to have to go through for doing the ritcheous thing.

Where are you Hoop City Detective? Defend yourself please? Our did you realize what an A Hole you are, turned in your badge, jumped to the other side and are now sitting down in the North end of Springfiled bad mouthing the same people who backed you up on a regular basis. It's a shame that some people get the job and could give a sh*t less, while others sit by and just wait for a chance to serve. Defend your comments PLEASE!

Ummm the dude is a loss prevention security guard...I'm not sure they get badges.

MallPolice said:
Where are you Hoop City Detective? Defend yourself please? Our did you realize what an A Hole you are, turned in your badge, jumped to the other side and are now sitting down in the North end of Springfiled bad mouthing the same people who backed you up on a regular basis. It's a shame that some people get the job and could give a sh*t less, while others sit by and just wait for a chance to serve. Defend your comments PLEASE!

SOT_II said:
Ummm the dude is a loss prevention security guard...I'm not sure they get badges.
If that is true, and he is such a COWARD to not back up his own words then he should not be allowed to post on this forum! Hoop city detective are you throwing barbs from the underwear section in aisle 4?

WOW!! what an ass monkey. This is all that needs to be said.........Great job Trooper Gray, you get the utmost respect from me and everyone I know. DO NOT second guess anything you did, after all I think the most important thing here is not to focus on the life taken....BUT the one that was saved, a BROTHER! And to hooplicker, or whatever you name is......get f-ed! I know I wont lose any sleep knowing that scumbag is where he deserves to be.:finger2: Heres to you jackass:-({|=

DA requests review of fatal shooting by state trooper

November 28, 2005

WORCESTER, Mass. --A judge will conduct an inquest into the fatal shooting of a Fitchburg man by a state trooper to determine whether the officer should be held criminally responsible, the district attorney said Monday.

Preston Johnson, 30, died on Nov. 4, a day after he was shot by Trooper Donald Gray following a chase.
Officers said Johnson was driving erratically and would not stop for police. When he finally stopped, Gray and a Fitchburg police officer approached and asked him to get out of the car. Johnson apparently drove at the two officers, and the trooper fired a single shot in self-defense, according to Worcester District Attorney John Conte.

A district court judge will conduct the inquest privately, then forward a report to the superior court. The proceedings will be conducted under oath.

Gray, an 11-year veteran, remains on active duty.

Johnson served four years in prison for shooting at two Fitchburg State College students. His license was suspended in June for numerous traffic violations, including speeding and failing to obey an officer.

© Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Right, great idea!!! Let's second guess what a HERO does and have the DA investigate the actions that saved a brother officer and himself, thus allowing them BOTH to return home that night to their families.

:alcoholi::uc: :blink: :crazy:

This should serve as an important lesson for the criminal element. Every time you get one that was turning his life around he gets killed. SO STOP TRYING TO TURN YOUR LIFE AROUND.

It can be fatal.

Trooper's account questioned

Trooper's account questioned

Testimony under way in fatal police shooting

By M. Elizabeth Roman TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

CLINTON-
Expert testimony during an inquest at Clinton District Court yesterday seemed to contradict statements by the state trooper who said he shot a 30-year-old Fitchburg man Nov. 3 because he feared for his life, according to the man's family lawyer.

Though the inquest, presided over by Judge Robert V. Greco of Framingham District Court, was closed to the public and the press, Stephen Hrones of Boston, the lawyer for the family of Preston D. Johnson, summarized for the media what he said was the day's testimony.

"There were several inconsistencies in the testimony," Mr. Hrones said.

Mr. Johnson, 30, of 3 Portland St., Fitchburg, died Nov. 4 after being taken off life support. He apparently led state police on a chase the day before after refusing to stop, according to the district attorney's office.

Mr. Johnson's vehicle sideswiped several vehicles before crashing to a halt shortly before 2 a.m. in the driveway at 27 Spruce St., a few blocks from his apartment on Portland Street, police said.

Mr. Johnson's family has said Mr. Johnson probably was trying to elude police because he was driving without a license.

In the moments before the shooting, Trooper Donald C. Gray said, he was standing on the driver's side of Mr. Johnson's vehicle while Fitchburg Police Officer Douglas Darton stood in front.

Trooper Gray testified yesterday that in trying to flee again, Mr. Johnson angled his tires sharply toward Officer Darton. Trooper Gray said that because he feared for his life and that of Officer Darton, he fired a single shot into the driver's side window of Mr. Johnson's vehicle, according to Mr. Hrones.

"But the ballistician found two bullets that seem to be related. One in the back of Mr. Johnson's head and one in the car near the dash," Mr. Hrones said of the expert testimony given yesterday.

Mr. Hrones said a hat with a single gunshot hole in the middle back was introduced as evidence during the inquest.

"The back window was shattered, but the driver's side was not," he added. "This brings serious questions to the credibility of the trooper's testimony."

Mr. Hrones said Trooper Gray and Officer Darton also were inconsistent in their statements during the inquest yesterday.

"Trooper Gray said he spoke with Officer Darton after the incident 'several times.' But Officer Darton said he never spoke a word of the incident to the trooper," Mr. Hrones said. "(Officer) Darton said he was in back of his car and never saw the trooper. But (Trooper) Gray said (Officer) Darton was an arm's length away from him during the shooting."

Mr. Johnson's family members huddled in the hallway of the court, waiting to be summoned into the courtroom in the morning, before the inquest began. Mr. Hrones whispered assuring words to them. Family members hugged one another and nodded in response.

"I can't even think," Joyce Johnson, Mr. Johnson's sister, said during a break in the proceedings. Mr. Johnson's mother and other family members declined to be interviewed.

Mr. Johnson had a criminal past.

He served four years in prison for attempted murder for a 1996 incident in which he held a gun to a Fitchburg State College student's head and fired shots after him and a fellow student when they ran off.

He also served 30 days in jail in 2004 for his part in a domestic dispute. But family members say he was starting to turn his life around.

Trooper Gray, an 11-year veteran of the state police assigned to the Leominster barracks, was placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting, but later returned to full duty.

Supporters of Trooper Gray, including several uniformed state troopers, attended the inquest. Police were instructed not to comment.

State Trooper William Cullen, who also is a state police union representative, said Trooper Gray needed moral support during the proceedings.

"No one wants this type of thing to happen," Trooper Cullen said. "But (Trooper Gray) is aware of the responsibility. He accepts it. If there are questions, then there have to be answers."

Trooper Cullen said the increased scrutiny amid allegations of racial profiling has not prevented state police from conducting business as usual. Mr. Johnson was black, Trooper Gray is white. Officer Darton is black.

"We are aware of the increased sensitivity of people," Trooper Cullen said. "But it doesn't keep us from doing our job in a professional way that is consistent with our training."

Joseph P. Kittredge of Needham, who is representing Trooper Gray, said he thought the inquest was going well, but declined to comment on specific testimony.

A spokesman for District Attorney John J. Conte said there would be no comment on the inquest until after it is complete.

More than 30 witnesses are ready to testify, but it is not known how many will be called by Judge Greco. The proceedings are expected to last a few days.

The investigatory inquest came at the request of Mr. Conte, whose office had been investigating the shooting. He said in late November that the circumstances and cause of Mr. Johnson's death are appropriate for review.

An inquest is a quasi-judicial proceeding, presided over by a judge who receives and evaluates evidence and statements that have a bearing on the shooting, according to Mr. Conte. The proceedings are done under oath.

Judge Greco will file a report that is expected to determine if anyone is criminally responsible for Mr. Johnson's death.

Re: Trooper's account questioned

When the crap is happening at 3,000 mph and tunnel vision kicks in, it is not unusual to have a different recollection of the "details" of an incident. Unfortunately, the media and the family attorney will spin this to make it appear as though the Trooper is less than truthful. I can guarantee that his mind was not on remembering how many shots were fired or where the Fitchburg officer was "exactly" in proximity to his location.

These issues are inheirent with any eyewitness testimony. Everyone's perception of an incident differs slightly. I hope he comes out of this okay. If Tim Burke is working this one, the Trooper should be all set. That guy is aces as an attorney! If I ever get in the crap, that's who I'm calling.

Lawyer misspoke on 2nd bullet

Police shooting inquest continues

By Mary Jo Hill TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
mhill@telegram.com

CLINTON-
A lawyer for the family of a man fatally shot by a state trooper said yesterday he was mistaken when he told a reporter the day before that an ongoing inquest showed that the two shots had been fired at the man.

Stephen Hrones, a Boston lawyer, said a bullet casing was found, and he thought that indicated a second shot.

But evidence suggests that only one shot was fired, he said yesterday.

Mr. Hrones made his comments during lunch break on the second day of the inquest into the Nov. 3 shooting death of Fitchburg resident Preston D. Johnson, 30, by state Trooper Donald C. Gray.

On Monday Mr. Hrones said there had been inconsistencies in the testimony of Trooper Gray.

One of them concerned the number of shots fired. Mr. Hrones told a reporter on Monday that Trooper Gray had testified that he fired once. The lawyer indicated the finding of the second bullet undercut the trooper's claim.

But yesterday Mr. Hrones conceded that there was no bullet inconsistency.

He said Judge Robert V. Greco, who is presiding over the inquest in Clinton District Court, suggested that he not go into detail about the testimony. Reporters are not allowed to sit in on the hearing, and Judge Greco has recommended limited dissemination of information about what is being said, according to Mr. Hrones. Judge Greco usually sits in Framingham District Court.

Mr. Hrones said the inquest is scheduled to continue tomorrow, although a lawyer representing Mr. Johnson's family said the hearing is close to finishing up.

No session is scheduled for today.

Those participating in the hearing might visit the place in Fitchburg where the shooting took place, Mr. Hrones said.

Trooper Gray shot Mr. Johnson, who had a criminal record of violence, after a pursuit in Fitchburg. The trooper said he shot Mr. Johnson because he feared that the suspect would drive his vehicle into him and a nearby Fitchburg police officer.

Mr. Johnson died Nov. 4 after being removed from life support.

Mr. Hrones said he does not yet know whether criminal charges are merited in the case.

"We still have an open mind," Mr. Hrones said. "When everything's in, then we'll have a better idea."

One shot or two...another scumbag eliminated.

I went to a fatal ped strike the other day...the "victim" was a level three sex offender. Case closed.
:baby13:

I think an officer from my department summed it up best in a letter to the editor of the Patriot Ledger, after the recent police shooting in Plymouth;

READER'S VIEW: Police face dangerous, split-second decisions
By PATRICK BUONAUGURIO, Hanover

As a police officer I have been reading all of the opinions regarding the police shooting in Plymouth with keen interest. I have wanted to respond but could not find exactly the right words to put in writing until I recently read an article in the November/December issue of Law Officer Magazine.

This article quoted an excerpt from a legal decision in the 6th Circuit court (1992) in the Smith v. Freland case.

It states that: ''We must avoid substituting our personal notions of proper police procedure for the instantaneous decision of the officer at the scene. We must never allow the theoretical, sanitized world of our imagination to replace the dangerous and complex world that policemen face every day. What constitutes 'reasonable' action may seem quite different to someone facing a possible assailant than to someone analyzing the question at leisure.''

It is an awful situation when an officer takes the life of another, made even worse when it is the life of a teenager.

But let us never judge these actions because we can never truly understand them unless involved in that same situation.

God bless the families of these officers and the family of the young man.

Copyright 2006 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Thursday, January 19, 2006

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.