Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has information on the next DRE training please let me know, a message can be left at my voicemail 978-772-8200 ext. 565

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,715 Posts
drewpopo said:
If anyone has information on the next DRE training please let me know, a message can be left at my voicemail 978-772-8200 ext. 565
Hey Buddy,

PM MPD71, he can hook you up I believe.
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
17 Posts
SRR Traffic Safety Consulting
198 East Street
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-527-6072 Office
413-527-3351 Fax
[email protected]

All DRE training must go through the State Coordinator in each respective state. For Massachusetts, that is Sgt. Donald Decker of the Marblehead Police Department. He can be reached at his work number which is 781-631-1212.

You can train out of state if you like. Rhode Island is starting their DRE course on September 25, 2003, and it will be at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI. Their state coordinator is Sgt. Rick Lombardi from Brown University.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sgt. Decker taught my SFST/PBT class as well as a basic drug recognition course (and his brother was my teacher/coach in middle school :) ). He is AWESOME. If you have the chance to take any class with him, do it. You will definitely learn stuff and have fun in the process. He knows his stuff. I WISH I could take the DRE class with him.
-Eric

·
Subscribing Member
4,347 Posts
I went to the last DRE school in May of this year at Hanscom AFB. It was two weeks long and we're not certified yet because we need twelve evaluations and pass the national final exam. It's a very tough and demanding course and allot of us thought we were done, I mean it's very intense academically and you have to study quite a bit. Great school and got two OUI arrests and both times found other drugs too, which was from the training. Next DRE class will be next year sometime(in MASS anyway). Sgt.Decker is the man, he is great. You have to apply, give a resume and have full department cooperation and sponsorship to attend. Not everyone gets in, my clas had about 25 people and some were out of state and five were military PD. Good luck

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
KML

The next DRE Course is going to start at the MSP academy on Oct 6. Call The academy to reserve a seat, the price was somewhere in between 500 and $600.

(no charge for the finders fee :wink: )

·
Registered
689 Posts
There was just a DEA basis drug recognition class at New Braintree. (Oct 4-15) Is this the same training y'all are talking about? If so, it was a good course. Two weeks long. Mike Devlin, DEA Boston, was the lead instructor.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I was replying to an old thread. Just curious about the DRE program and who to contact. I was refering to the Drug Recognition Expert certification course, so it probably isn't the DEA course you're refering to. Glad to hear it was good training, though.

·
Subscribing Member
4,347 Posts
DRE school is sponsored through the GHSB and NHTSA in MA. You have to be a FT Massachusett PO or Federal(AF Police) to attend. NH has one as well. PM me for more info.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
I saw that class listed on the academy's course schedule some time ago. The price must have been listed there, I cant remember. I see that some of the courses listed on the MSP academy website are hosted by the MSP but run by a private company, which charge a fee.

·
MassCops Member
60 Posts
OK, The state run by Sgt Decker, is free...but need references sponsers, suppose to be BT/FST certified instructor and all that but he seems willing and able as long as you are sponsered by an instructor... and your department is willing to give you up for the time.

G

·
I took the FST class with Decker last month, he wants to do a DRE class this spring. I think the MSP $600 class you speak of is the probably the DEA class where they teach you how to be an undercover and all the good stuff that goes with drug work.

·
Subscribing Member
4,347 Posts
DRE school is administered by the GHSB and NHTSA. They DO NOT charge for this course and as the lpersn stated the DEA Basic Narcotics School that is 2 weeks long is not the DRE School. DRE school is FREE but it is not that easy to get into it. God luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts