Facility Location:
Lemuel Shattuck Hospital. 170 Morton Street, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Application Deadline:
11-28-2012
Apply Online:
No
Posting ID:
J32943

This position is funded from the Commonwealth's annual operating budget.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Armed and c.90

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx via Tapatalk
Since when?

I see nothing in there saying anything about having to have LTC. Also, Traffic Enforcement could mean Parking Tickets. That is far from Ch. 90.

Historically, DMH and DPH police have never been armed and I really doubt that they are now.

That 10 week class you are asking about, is a Rule 400/400a most likely, though I'm not sure. I know it's not the SSPO. That one is longer than 10 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

·
"assisting pedestrians in crossing streets, and writing traffic tickets" made me believe they had 90. Correction, not armed. Should be!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,778 Posts
Since when?

Historically, DMH and DPH police have never been armed and I really doubt that they are now. That 10 week class you are asking about, is a Rule 400/400a most likely, though I'm not sure. I know it's not the SSPO. That one is longer than 10 weeks.
Right V!

They're NOT armed. They do actually have CH90 by Statute, but they won't get the V's.
In fact DMH Brockton destroyed theirs in a drill press on a saturday morning in 2001.

That 10 Week reference is an outdated Personnel Office Listing. Remember most times any State Agency post an CPO job they state "Must be able to appointed a special police officer under MGL CH.147.....HA! that went away in 1992.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
They will send to SSPO Academy, like MPD said, the length being quoted is just outdated info from HR.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Right V!

They're NOT armed. They do actually have CH90 by Statute, but they won't get the V's.
In fact DMH Brockton destroyed theirs in a drill press on a saturday morning in 2001.

That 10 Week reference is an outdated Personnel Office Listing. Remember most times any State Agency post an CPO job they state "Must be able to appointed a special police officer under MGL CH.147.....HA! that went away in 1992.

FUCK SSPO!!!
You forgot, so I fixed it for you;)

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Right V!

Only us who met the man that did it would believe it was actually done, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe that the Police at that location are Boston SPO's and they go through the 10 week William Cloran Academy, the basic academy for unarmed officers is 10 weeks, then to get armed there is an additional class you must take as well.

G

·
I believe that the Police at that location are Boston SPO's and they go through the 10 week William Cloran Academy, the basic academy for unarmed officers is 10 weeks, then to get armed there is an additional class you must take as well.
Why on Earth would DPH Police become Boston Specials, which would then require them to wear uniforms that make them look like they just stepped off the label of a Spanish wine bottle? They're SSPO and can wear whatever they want.

No DPH Police are armed, so I don't know where you're getting your information.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why on Earth would DPH Police become Boston Specials, which would then require them to wear uniforms that make them look like they just stepped off the label of a Spanish wine bottle? They're SSPO and can wear whatever they want.
I am not saying I know for certain that they go to the armed part or not I am saying that if they do that is also available. As for the whole spanish wine insult, these guys are just as much a police officer as every other guy, private, sspo, or mptc in the city. They have the same risks and rewards as everyone else. And if the SPO's had it there way they would be sporting the same pants as you all, however the city requires them all to wear this uniform so they can be identified. THE END.

G

·
As for the whole spanish wine insult, these guys are just as much a police officer as every other guy, private, sspo, or mptc in the city.
Ummm......no, they're not.

I was a Boston SPO before I was appointed full-time. It's NOT the same job, not even in the same galaxy....those people are security guards with powers of arrest on the property they're assigned to protect, and that's exactly how I described it when I was one myself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
JRut47,
Having practical experience, past and present, in the area of Boston Specials et al; I have to concur with Delta784. The "Spanish wine" reference I would believe was not intended as a specific derogatory remark towards Boston Special officers assigned to their respective company / agency. As you remarked; the separation by scarlet stripe is a City of Boston bullet point in Rule 400 and they have not deemed fit an update for these officers. There have been numerous topics in this website that have supported overwhelmingly the position of special officers in our field and Delta has been a empathetic participant in these past forums. I think there may have been an misunderstanding in his post on your part ...

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,778 Posts
these guys are just as much a police officer as every other guy, private, sspo, or mptc in the city. They have the same risks and rewards as everyone else. And if the SPO's had it there way they would be sporting the same pistols as you all, however the city requires them all to carry this weapon so they can be less likely to shoot themselves or others.. THE END.
Ahhh... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, HO HO HO HO, HEE HEE HEE, ohhhh JEEZUM...

Sorry there JRut, but I had to FIFY!!!!!!!:D

G

·
I worked as an armed Boston Special. To call a special a "Police Officer", is quite the stretch. Delta is right. "Security guard with a gun and powers of arrest on property"
Sometimes not even a gun, V.....the store detectives at Filene's are Boston SPO's (as were the Jordan Marsh people when they were around) and they don't carry.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.