Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Door-to-Door Magazine Sales: Rape, Murder, and More

houstonpress.com - In the eight months the Press investigated door-to-door magazine sales across the country, the industry has seen at least three murders, one rape, two attempted rapes, one stabbing, one attempted murder, one vehicle fatality and one attempted abduction of a 13-year-old girl.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I hate these magazines sales men. I would ban them from town somehow. Better yet I would ban all door to door "sales". Unless your a non profit. Like Religious or political

·
Subscribing Member
364 Posts
- It always amazes me when people let them in, then call us afterwards to say they were shady, walking around their house, etc. They are absolutely shocked when I tell them, 'just because someone rings your doorbell and wants to come in, doesn't mean you have to let them'. Amazing.

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
- It always amazes me when people let them in, then call us afterwards to say they were shady, walking around their house, etc. They are absolutely shocked when I tell them, 'just because someone rings your doorbell and wants to come in, doesn't mean you have to let them'. Amazing.
Exactly! IF I answer the door (rarely do if I'm not expecting someone), the door is open only enough for me to engage in the discussion, and my foot is firmly planted behind the door to prevent it from being easily pushed it.

Last year, my city had a scumbag going around knocking on doors & asking if he could use the bathroom. The number of people who said yes was amazing. Of course, this guy was helping himself to money and jewelry. We finally got him (with a little assitance from a Taser ;) ).

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
The town I live in does the following:

For all door-to-door operators, including religious, it's require a notification be made to the local P.D. and the names etc. of all participants are kept on file.
Commercial salespeople must have first a state license then a local license. Again all individuals soliciting are kept on file at the station.
Anybody found soliciting without a permit is warned once, told to stop and arrested the on the second call.
Magazine salespeople usually operate out of a local motel and five or six persons work out of a van with a designated pick-up point at a certain time.
They notoriously do not bother to get permits.
Once a worker is located he/she is warned, asked for the location of the pickup point or motel and taken there. All operatives are treated the same. If one tries to continue after the warning an arrest is made.
Once the team boss and van are located he is ordered to pick up all his people and stop all operations in the town.
If they return the whole group is arrested.
The local judge has imposed fines and supported this procedure.
In most cases the operators post bail for their salespeople and some have skipped, leaving warrants waiting should they ever return...which they don't.
You may ask why they don't get a permit? Well they don't want to provide all the data on their salespeople.
I also found out last week from a legit salesperson who came to my house that it costs "quite a bit" (I don't know how much) to get the town and state permits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts