Dog Advice | MassCops

Dog Advice

Discussion in 'Just Shootin' The Breeze' started by rocksy1826, Sep 25, 2009.

1. rocksy1826

rocksy1826 MassCops Member

Since we have dog fans here...

Does anyone have any experience with a dog that likes to chew on rocks? My dog is obsessed with them. Today, I discovered he has knocked a SECOND tooth out doing the aforementioned behavior.

These are definitely not baby teeth. He's 5 years old. That's 2 teeth in as many years. I'd prefer not to have to puree dog food after he makes himself completely toothless.

Anyone have a similar experience? Tips for breaking him of this?

2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Give him bones to chew on instead? ;-)

3. rocksy1826

the genius prefers rocks to bones. no kidding.

4. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

I see he has his mothers genes ;)

5. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

My GSD had this habit as a pup. A good trick is the "leave it" technique.

Get him in a sit position.
    Take a treat and place it on the ground infront of him
    Use the command "Leave It" Assertive Tone.
    If your dog reaches for it, pull it away and repeat command
    When he complies with the command state "Ok" and let him have the treat.
    Continue until you can give the command and he no longer goes for the treat.

This should parlay to the rocks. If you tell him to leave it and he does. Call your dog away from the rock and give him the treat

The goal is to state Leave It and the dog will ignore the item. Takes time but it works. If this fails which I doubt it PM me and utilizing a pinch collar is the next step.

Any questions or clarification let me know.

6. rocksy1826

He knows "drop it" to an extent. He's a stubborn dog though. He's a rescue dog, plus he's a really stubborn breed. I'll shoot you a pm in a little. "Drop it" hasn't been working. He finds ways.

7. Trifecta

Trifecta MassCops Member

Mine knows drop it as well. Completely different beast. Spent my entire life with and training dogs. It should work

I will fill you in on the PM

8. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

I have a Black and a Brown Lab. Each has their own chewing habbits. The Black has flattened all of his front teeth from disassembling and chewing my firewood pile The chocolate eats just about anything she wants. Any basketball, soccer ball, boat fender, and tennis ball, which she peels the fuzz then splits and devours the peices. Easy finding the lawn sausages cause the're bright green. To disuade this activity I have tried a product called Bitter Apple, it worked but cost a few bucks and needed to be reapplied constantly. Tobasco or anything with hot peppers works but you got to stay after it. Luckly the monsters haven't eaten any of the guests at any social gathering at the house. If I see them getting anxious I throw them a cat. Which we have.

9. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Send a PM to the resident dog person, Sam. Ask the people who do.

10. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

Rocksy, please PM me..

11. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

I used to have a cat that liked to chew on drawer knobs. That stuff works great.

But if you happen to get any in YOUR mouth...stand by. You're in for a bad day. You need to really scrub your hands to get it off.

12. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

My cat likes to eat those little orange foamies I use for the range. I take them from work so I can sleep during the day, so there all over the place. When he takes a dump its bright orange swirl , Ill see if I can upload some pics for you.

13. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

The one thing about Bitter Apple that no one told me until it was too late is some animals actually like it. I have a cat that likes to chew electrical cords. So, after the first time I saw him doing it I sprayed the cord with Bitter Apple. Three answering macine cords later & I learned my lesson. Now you really have to look to find an exposed cord anywhere in my house. Thankfully the dog was easier to train. I'll pm you with a suggestion.

14. capecop55

capecop55 New Member

Is this a new behavior? If so, has there been a change in your routine, household, moving, etc.? Dogs are very social animals and may be affected by these things. The dog may have become focused on rocks as an outlet for anxiety or stress. I would advise going to the vet to rule out any medical issues first. If there's nothing wrong medically, it sounds like a behavioral issue.

Believe it or not, if you can't curb the rock chewing by limiting access to rocks, providing more exercise, etc. they do prescribe a doggie "prozac" that reduces anxiety. But this would only be effective if combined with exercise and behavior modification.

Hope this helps I have experience as a veterinary tech. and former animal cruelty investigator.

15. lpwpd722

lpwpd722 Maddy B's grammy

The dog may be lacking some type of minerals. I know when dogs eat dirt that is the reason. My GS used to dig and eat dirt. Just be consistant and maybe get some fun chew toys. Just my 2 cents.

16. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Infidel

I found these chew toys indestructible for my lab with a chewing addiction.

goughnuts.com

17. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

I'll pass on the image of cat feces, thanks.

Let the little guy zap himself. That'll teach him, provided your house doesn't burn down first.

18. rocksy1826

Nothing has changed except that he knocked a tooth out. I thought it was getting better... but I thinkm he just got sneakier with it.

Not a new behavior. He got the name Rocky Balboa because he kept trying to teeth on rocks as a baby... plus he's a little scrapper.