Does the reform bill affect new SSPOs? | MassCops

Does the reform bill affect new SSPOs?

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Employment' started by Jrw76, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:32 AM.

1. Jrw76

Jrw76 MassCops Member

Hi... I'm a retired cop from outside of MA and have been looking to become a CPO and work at a university. I looked around the forum for an answer and couldn't find it, but I apologize if someone already went over this and/or if this isn't the right place to post this. Having said that, I was wondering how the reform bill will impact applying for an exemption from having to attend an academy and being granted SSPO status by MSP? I saw a memo put out by MSP last April outlining all of the different ways to become a SSPO and I didn't know if the reform bill will affect any of that, and if so, what part(s)? Thanks in advance!

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Yes all Campus cops will fall under POST as well. It is not known yet how this will play out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrw76 likes this.
  3. Jrw76

Jrw76 MassCops Member

4. CarbonFiber

CarbonFiber New Member

Jrw76,
    Where were you a LEO? Were you fulltime & did you graduate from a full time academy? I was just granted exemption through the Certification Unit of the MA State Police for SSPO Certification. There's a required list of things you need to send to the Certification Unit and in addition, you have to have your employer, the Police Chief, sign off on the request for exemption.
    You are correct, as far as the R/I Academy's, they are not being held anymore.

Jrw76 likes this.
  5. Jrw76

Jrw76 MassCops Member

Hi ...thanks for responding and congratulations on getting the waiver. Yes I was a fulltime cop and went to a fulltime academy and worked in NY. Massachusetts is different than in New York in regards to different levels of police and training. Here you're either certified or you're not and it doesn't matter fulltime or part time, etc. So there has been a learning curve and I really appreciate people offering their knowledge. Do you know if MSP and MPTC operate independently of one another or does MPTC ultimately have authority over MSP making people SSPOs?

mpd61 likes this.
  6. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Oh I'll take this one!!!
    MPTC currently has nothing to do with SSPO in any way shape or form. If derr kernal has any say, it will stay this way. You will probably see SSPO Academy becoming POST recognized. Ultimately it may even be up to the legislature, we are all GUESSING at this point, despite what some people are saying.............

Oh and BTW..............
    FUCK SSPO

Tuna, Goose, j809 and 1 other person like this.
  7. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

The whole point to POST to bring everyone up to a common level of training, but in typical political Massachusetts fashion its become "all police training shall do... X" (*With the exception of the state police) then it will bleed over into the DOC academy, campus cops, part-timers, then well Worcester can have its own academy and I guess Boston too. and so on until we are right back to where we are now.

Jrw76 likes this.
  8. Jrw76

Jrw76 MassCops Member

Thanks for the info!

9. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

Of course the big question is will the new POST system grant SSPO’s chapter 90?

Also, will it affect headwear at all?

Goose likes this.
  10. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Spoken like a true Masscopper. I love it!

11. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

SSPO's at State Schools and DMH/DPH/DDS have had CH. 90 foreveah!!!!!;)

12. Gary113

Gary113 MassCops Member

Ch 90 for DMH/ DPH and DDS but no firearms - and probably never will be.

13. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

How does this work for parole officers? They're sworn under SSPO, correct?