Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

The BPA -HATES- Campus Police and has always done everything in it's power to fight against Campus Police Departments, their officers and their authority. They even proposed bills that would limit campus police officers powers on their own campuses...

Now we read that two of the city of Boston's councilors want the Campus Police to patrol off campus to help the Boston cops deal with students living off-campus. Even Captain William Evans, commander of District 14, said he would welcome a deeper
partnership with area universities as long as campus police worked
alongside Boston police officers.

That's what Campus Police have said all along. We want to work _with_ you, not instead of you when things that effect the campus happen off campus.

Read the below article for yourself.

Work safe,

----- Begin Quote ---

Ordinance aims to aid police in keeping track of off-campus students
By Heather Allen, Globe Correspondent | September 8, 2004

Seeking to prevent a repeat of the student rioting that disrupted the
city following the Patriots' Super Bowl victory in February, two city
councilors have proposed an ordinance that would require universities
in Boston to provide authorities with the contact information of
students who live off campus.

City Councilors Michael Ross and Jerry McDermott said that their
proposal, if adopted, would allow the city to preempt raucous
behavior in neighborhoods where many students live, and force
universities to take responsibility for students living off campus.

"The point of this entire legislation is to create some
accountability with the university, so that if you're going to bring
a student into the city of Boston, you're going to prepare them,
you're going to take responsibility for them, you're going to create
some accountability for your student that you bring into the city,"
Ross said. "So if there's a party down the road it's not just, 'Yeah,
it's off campus; call 911.' "

Ross, who represents the Back Bay, Fenway/Kenmore, and Mission Hill
neighborhoods, criticized local universities after a post-Super Bowl
riot on Symphony Road, during which a sport utility vehicle plowed
through a group of revelers, killing one man and critically injuring
another. Several cars were flipped over on the street and others were
vandalized. Thousands of raucous students took to the streets in
Kenmore Square as well. In the aftermath of the disturbances, Ross,
as well as Mayor Thomas M. Menino, called on universities --
particularly Northeastern University, near where the fatal accident
happened -- to better control their students, regardless of whether
they live on campus.

Northeastern officials yesterday said they are committed to working
with city officials, and pointed out that the university recently
signed an agreement with the city to build more residence halls and
move students back onto campus.

"We've been working on neighborhood relations for many, many years.
We've been doing this for decades," said Ed Klotzbier, vice president
of student affairs. "Our job is to teach them how to be responsible
students, to be ambassadors when out in the community. The Student
Code of Conduct applies on and off campus; it's not a new policy."

He added that the university stresses to incoming students the
serious consequences involved in violating the school's Code of
Conduct.

Menino yesterday said he would consider the ordinance, but he
cautioned that the February riot was an exception in the city's
relationship with universities.

"We're always trying to improve relationships with the universities,"
Menino said. "One incident doesn't make the relations between the
city and a university bad. The incident at Northeastern is not a
normal situation, but was a very unfortunate circumstance."

Police spokeswoman Beverly Ford said that currently, when campus
police receive calls about off-campus behavior, they are unable to
respond because they have no way of confirming whether residents are
students of their university, and no jurisdiction to act even if they
are.

"Campus police cannot make any arrests outside of their own
buildings," she said. "They enter the [off-campus] building as a
civilian."

If the ordinance passes, Ross said, Boston police, campus police, and
the Inspectional Services Department would have the names, addresses,
and phone numbers of any students living off campus. Campus police
officers could take action in disturbances in which students were
involved, instead of passing the call and responsibility onto Boston
Police.

Ross said the details of the proposal have not been finalized, but
that campus police could accompany Boston Police officers to the
scene, send a representative from the university's residential life
department, or call the student in for a hearing the following day.

Captain William Evans, commander of District 14, where many Boston
University and Boston College students live, said the return of
students to the city puts a strain on the police department, causing
20 to 30 calls to back up on Friday and Saturday nights.

Evans said BC, BU, and Northeastern officials each semester ride
along with officers through student neighborhoods to identify
potential trouble spots. He said he would welcome a deeper
partnership with area universities as long as campus police worked
alongside Boston police officers.

Evans said Boston police would pay particular attention this school
year to Northeastern students because of last year's riots.

"The test will be down near Northeastern," Evans said. "We'll see. I
just dread another Yankees/Sox series."

----- End Quote -----

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
A good reason to extend jurisdiction for Campus Police Officers. Perhaps create a special rule 400 for Boston College / Universities Police Officers.

·
MassCops Member
333 Posts
Police spokeswoman Beverly Ford said that currently, when campus
police receive calls about off-campus behavior, they are unable to
respond because they have no way of confirming whether residents are
students of their university, and no jurisdiction to act even if they
are.

"Campus police cannot make any arrests outside of their own
buildings," she said. "They enter the [off-campus] building as a
civilian."

\---------------------------------------------------------------

This information is inaccurate. The bigger colleges and Universities (NU and BU) in particular are sworn in as Suffolk Cty Sheriffs, which extends their arrest power and jurisdiction throughout all of Suffolk County. To say that the police enter off campus buildings as "civilians" is COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
As politely as possible for me. If a BPD officer is dispatched to the scene of an off campus incident I tactfully suggest that a school police officer who attempts to assist without a BPD officer requesting it will find that their sheriff's powers off campus does not include a "get out of jail free" card. When it is on your campus please feel free to do whatever your training calls for. On the streets of Boston you are a civilian.

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
MarkBoston @ Sun 19 Sep said:
As politely as possible for me. If a BPD officer is dispatched to the scene of an off campus incident I tactfully suggest that a school police officer who attempts to assist without a BPD officer requesting it will find that their sheriff's powers off campus does not include a "get out of jail free" card. When it is on your campus please feel free to do whatever your training calls for. On the streets of Boston you are a civilian.
Mark, as politely as possible, that is bullshit. I never had a problem with the campus police backing me up on a call, especially in the hot areas like Hemimgway st around Northeastern, which has become a party haven for their students. Not only does NU own a bunch of buildings on that street, but their students ( and most students from the major colleges) are bound by a code of conduct which applies both on and off campus. If I got nothing on them, then chances are the campus police get the information and turn it over to student affairs who conducts their own hearing on the students behavior. And believe me, they fear that more than they fear you knocking on their door.

We use to ride in Brighton on overtime every weekend as the Boston College patrol, to quiet the parties the BC students were involved with. We took with us a guy who's name escapes me, but was known as 'The Dean of disipline', and it was a Kodak moment indeed when after getting the brush-off by some shithead at the door, they see this guy step out of the cruiser come up the walk, because they know that come monday they will be sitting in front of a student review board for conduct violations. Oh, and a copy goes to mom and dad, just to keep them informed.

Not to mention, on a few occations where the OT call has gone out for the crowds on Lansdowne st and the detail is in the shit, ALL the campus departments have shown up, ready and willing to jump in. And being sworn by the sheriff certainly gives them as much authority as we had, seeing as it was a breach of the peace.

I don't know what experience you've had with the campus police, but with only one or two notable exceptions, I never had a problem with them, they have always been there when needed, and I would certainly extend every courtesy toward them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
"they have always been there when needed"

That line says it all, especially the when needed part. Otherwise thanks but no thanks. If you remember the department has enough encroachment now. But what do you care? You left the department for "greener" pastures.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
MarkBoston @ 19 Sep 2004 10:22 said:

That line says it all, especially the when needed part. Otherwise thanks but no thanks. If you remember the department has enough encroachment now. But what do you care? You left the department for "greener" pastures.
Oh Mark............................
What happened? Who was sooooooo mean to you? Who stepped on your toes so bad?
:shock:

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts

That line says it all, especially the when needed part. Otherwise thanks but no thanks. If you remember the department has enough encroachment now.
That's right all us campus police along with MBTA and the Sheriff's are out to take your jobs and steal food off the table..Come on now.....before this turns into another real cop...fake cop debate on who can do what and where..and when...let's shut it down like it was done in another forum...Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
My toes are fine, thank you for asking Woody. It is all about where the line is. I don't enforce the laws outside of my jurisdiction, so I expect the same kind of professionalism from other officers.

Do I think that SSPO's are "real" police? Yes, I do. I would not want their job no matter what. I can't stomach listening to some brat tell me what or how or what I can and can't do.

I have never had a real problems with any SSPO, could be the conversation I have with them if I think the situation warrants it. Otherwise I have and will extend courtesy to any SSPO. This is not a BPD vs. SSPO. It is a jurisdictional issue pure and simple.

·
Registered
252 Posts
No so much in the past but recently Franklin Police have called us to assist them with off-campus incidents involving our students. We are more than willing to lend a hand. After all we know most of students and where they live on campus which has made their jobs a lot easier. For example just the other night Franklin had an attempted B+E to a motor vehicle at one of the train stations they were able to apprehend one of our international students but were only able to ascertain first names on the other parties involved. We were able to locate and apprehend all parties involved with the use of just their first names. Not as big a deal as BC deals with but one hand washing the other none the less. :2c:

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
MarkBoston @ Sun 19 Sep said:

I did leave, and I'm loving it. :D But I didn't leave bitter, I left because I believe I have a better offer, plus I don't have to be a resident of the city if I choose not to.

But it's not about encroachment, IMHO it's about mutual respect. Boston has always had the attitude of 'we don't need your friggin help, thank you, we can do it ourselves'. It's the wrong way to be, and quite frankly it's one aspect of working there I'm not going to miss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.