Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BARNSTABLE, Mass. -- A gynecologist has been indicted for manslaughter in the death of a 22-year-old woman who went to him for an abortion.
Cape & Island District Attorney Michael O'Keefe said Wednesday that Dr. Rapin Osathanondh was indicted by a Barnstable County grand jury in the death of Laura Hope Smith.
Smith was pronounced dead at Cape Cod Hospital after going to Osathanondh's Hyannis office for an abortion on Sept 13. Her mother has said Smith was 13 weeks pregnant when she had the abortion.
Smith's mother filed a complaint about the doctor with the state medical board. Osathanondh resigned his medical license in February after he came under scrutiny in Smith's death.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO82684/

·
Registered
89 Posts
BARNSTABLE, Mass. -- A gynecologist has been indicted for manslaughter in the death of a 22-year-old woman who went to him for an abortion.
Cape & Island District Attorney Michael O'Keefe said Wednesday that Dr. Rapin Osathanondh was indicted by a Barnstable County grand jury in the death of Laura Hope Smith.
Smith was pronounced dead at Cape Cod Hospital after going to Osathanondh's Hyannis office for an abortion on Sept 13. Her mother has said Smith was 13 weeks pregnant when she had the abortion.
Smith's mother filed a complaint about the doctor with the state medical board. Osathanondh resigned his medical license in February after he came under scrutiny in Smith's death.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO82684/
With a name like 'Rapin', the last thing you want to be is a OBGYN.

I've always tried to stay clear of minority Doctors or Doctors who got their medical degrees in foreign countries. I don't care what color their skin is, I know how good affirmative action is and I know how great the pressure is not to fail minorities. I know it's not fair to those who do earn their degrees legitimately, I'm just not willing to risk my health to find out. The same will go for my kids.

G

·
I've always tried to stay clear of minority Doctors or Doctors who got their medical degrees in foreign countries. I don't care what color their skin is, I know how good affirmative action is and I know how great the pressure is not to fail minorities. I know it's not fair to those who do earn their degrees legitimately, I'm just not willing to risk my health to find out. The same will go for my kids.
I'll agree with the foreign medical schools, but only from questionable places like the Caribbean, former Soviet provinces, etc. My former PCP graduated from the Sackler School of Medicine in Israel, and he was fantastic (he moved back to Israel unfortunately).

The minority thing, you totally lost me. My current PCP is black (graduate of UMass Med) and is a great guy as well as a great physician. Affirmative action may raise its ugly head in some areas, but no sane physician in the US is going to give their stamp of approval to an intern or resident who isn't up to snuff.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Trial set for Mass. doc in abortion patient death

Laura Hope Smith was 22 years old and 13 weeks pregnant when she went to see a Cape Cod doctor for an abortion. She was pronounced dead later that day.

Prosecutors charged the doctor with manslaughter, alleging that he failed to monitor her while she was under anesthesia, delayed calling 911 when she went into cardiopulmonary arrest, and later lied to try to cover up his actions.

Dr. Rapin Osathanondh, an obstetrician who was also a research associate at the Harvard School of Public Health, goes on trial Monday in Barnstable Superior Court. The trial begins on the third anniversary of Smith's death.

Trial set for Mass. doc in abortion patient death - BostonHerald.com

·
Had enough
3,270 Posts
Regardless of you view on abortion, I believe if they make them illegal they will be done in back alleys and you will see more and more of these stories of people dying afterward.

·
Had enough
3,270 Posts
Wolf I wasnt saying its right or wrong just sayin drugs are illegal and we still have junkies. There going to happen either way whether we like it or not. So they go on and have the kid then what? They have no money to support it and end up with yet another welfare baby that we have to pay for? Just say no and wait until your married went out along time ago.

·
Supporting Member
3,504 Posts
Not to start a pissing contest, but what the hell I have already downed a few. I do not believe in abortion myself, but I am not the one carrying the child, nor is my health an issue during a preagnancy, BUT

First, there are times when I believe they can be used to protect women, rape, illnesses, other medical conditions which put mother and fetus at risk.

Second, I also believe who the hell am I to tell a woman what to do with HER body.

With that I believe it is a womens choice to do what they believe is right, if they are useing it as birthcontrol, well KARMA is a bitch and it will eventually come around to bite them in the ASS.

Just my 2 cents...

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,729 Posts
So let me ask you this? Say a Hispanic female worked her ass off, put her self through college, pre-med, and then BU Med School. Then, does her full residency, and 2 fellowships doesn't rate to see you? Wow, glad to see you paint all Doctors with such broad strokes! Lets hope you never get Med-Flighted to BMC with a gunshot wound to the head for fear that the Hispanic female Neurologist, who is now one of the best in the business, treats you!
I'd just let them know that he wants to wait for the next male caucasian doctor. Hopefully he doesn't bleed out first.

You make it through all that med school and residency bullshit, ill be pretty confident I'm in good hands.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,729 Posts
My brother in law damn near lost his foot because of BMC's penchant for saving shitbag gang bangers lives.

They parked him for 4 days with an open compound fracture of the fibula and a severe fracture of the tibia.

THEN kept putting him off for surgery because he was swollen... THEN had him signing forms while under heavy medication.

By the time they got around to him, they had to remove a section of his tibia, and plate a "bridge" and graft bone in to replace it.

Their answer to everything was a new prescription for percs.
Don't get me wrong mal practice happens all the time. I'm no fool. But its not like you can pick out whose gonna fuck up.

If someones a doctor went through the entire process, I'm going to assume they know wtf there doing, I think they deserve that much.

Foreign country is one thing with diff standards that I'm just not aware of, but avoiding minorities. Just doesn't make much sense to me at all.

---------- Post added at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

P.S. I also try to stay away from Durty Sturdy :p

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,729 Posts
I think his experience was because BMC can bilk Medicare/MassHealth for more money than they can the insurance company on a workers comp case.
ahh got ya got ya.

·
Always Watching
8,266 Posts
Unless they're well off or scholars willing to rack up serious debt, many Americans have to go to back-assed countries for medical school while foreigners come here virtually for free. Whether they choose to stay here and practice is a whole other can of worms but it really sucks when you're being treated by a Doctor and you can only understand every other word they're saying. I trust that this was the case with Dr. Rapin Wassathingyouredeadnow.

With regard to abortion, I believe it's up to the individual and they'll have to explain to the big man in the end. However, if an individual is on public assistance, which is in essence a claim that they cannot care or themselves on their own, they should not be allowed to procreate. Should they refuse implanted birth control and become pregnant, the child should automatically become adoptable by Americans who have demonstrated that they can support themselves. It's foolish to see unwanted children born every day while good Americans who want children are spending thousands flying back and forth to third world countries trying to adopt. The libs would obviously never allow this because it would solve many ails in society but "I have a dream!"

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Doctor pleads guilty in 2007 abortion death

BARNSTABLE - On the third anniversary of her death, the doctor who performed an abortion on Laura Hope Smith admitted that his actions led to her death while she was under his care.

Yesterday in Barnstable Superior Court, with Smith's parents looking on, Dr. Rapin Osathanondh, 67, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

Smith, 22, never awoke after undergoing the procedure at the Women's Health Center in Hyannis on Sept. 13, 2007.

Doctor pleads guilty in 2007 abortion death | CapeCodOnline.com

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Former doctor gets prison for death of Cape abortion patient

(By Brian R. Ballou, Globe Staff)
BARNSTABLE - She arrived at the Smith household almost 18 years ago, a small raven-haired girl with tattered and dirty clothing, a black eye, and all her possessions in a plastic grocery bag, except for the doll she held in her hand. Tom and Eileen Smith wrapped the neglected, abused, and abandoned girl with their love, only to lose her later to a botched medical procedure.

By all accounts, Laura Smith lived life to the fullest, according to her family and friends.

"She never seemed to suffer any ill effects because of her upbringing,'' Tom Smith said yesterday afternoon in Barnstable District Court. Smith continued, turning from Judge Gary Nickerson to Rapin Osathanondh, sitting about 20 feet away.

"You, sir,'' Smith started, but was interrupted by Nickerson, who advised him not to comment directly to the defendant. Smith turned again to Osathanondh and continued, "You, sir, destroyed a precious flower that blossomed in our lives, not accidentally but on purpose.''

Video Doctor is sent to jail

1 - 14 of 14 Posts