Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get a card in the mail to show up at Norfolk before July 9, for Correction Officer. The card said they are hiring 100 full-time CO's.? :?:

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
I got a card too, which kind of surprised me seeing as I'm tied with around thirty people for 382. Oh well either way I'm not complaining. I'll sign the list and fill out the application just to be on the safe side.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
The current rumor, is that our department is putting 20 through the academy in September. We usually attend at the same time as the DOC, so this could likley be the academy date for this upcoming class. All speculation of course! :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
4,315 Posts
I heard this is one of the worse jobs you can have. My buddy worked there and hated it so much, he quit and went to a PD out of state. Pay is ok though and they have group 4 retirement.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Alot of people see a CO's job as being one of the "worst jobs", because they come in expecting the wrong things. Many many people get in to corrections as a stepping stone to becoming a police officer (myself included), and don't realize that the two jobs are really different. You have to like being inside all day, and being closely scrutinized by superiors. It's not like the street where your Sergeant or Senior Officer is miles away on the other side of the city. He's usually 10 feet or so away from you in the control room, to look over your shoulder. You don't run into very many half way decent to good people. In some cases, there's alot more physical violence (Disclaimer: depending on what facility you work at). Police work and Corrections both have a ton of crap to put up with, and alot of positives as well, but to be happy, you have to decide if the specific sets of goods and bads are really what you are looking for in a job.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Currection Officer job is a tough job, long hours, hazdous conditions, take shit from supervisors as well as the prisoners, etc... I respect those guys but dont envy them one bit. The earn their pay. I could never be one I like having my freedom to bust balls if I want, arresting people, going to court, working with the public, working as a team with good police partners or being by myself and do nothing if I want. Thats the great thing about being a PO you are your own boss. CO is like doing time like the prisoners.

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
Tiger,

You take the Civil Service exam and if they get to your score on the Certification List you get a card.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Ok, Heres a question that no-one seems to know the answer to. DOC being civil circus, does that entitle you to be able to Lateral onto a Police civil circus job?

:?:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,657 Posts
union1 said:
Ok, Heres a question that no-one seems to know the answer to. DOC being civil circus, does that entitle you to be able to Lateral onto a Police civil circus job?

:?:
Are you kidding?
:L: :L: :L: :L: :sh:

Sorry.......I meant to just say NO

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sure.... You can also take the Postal exam which is civil service and then laterally transfer to a PD. :stupid:

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
Sure, you could probly transfer into US customs and whatever, but If you thought before speaking you would see the error in your attempt at slamming the question.

State Civil Service is civil service... they only require you to have "civil service status" so does anyone know?

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Union,

What do you mean by lateral onto a police civil service job? As far as time in service for retirement, yes your time from the DOC would carry, I think you would have to buy it back though. I'm only in my twenties, so I don't know a hell of alot about retirement. If your talking about actually getting onto a police department, then no. DOC is a corrections academy, and has not much of anything to do with police work. So your training is no good. Also, it's a different test, so that doesn't help you either. If working for the DOC, you would have to take the Police Civil Service exam, and go through the process just like the guy who works at the bodega down the street. DOC can't transfer to police jobs, just like the guy who paints fire hydrants for the city of Boston, can't transfer to a police job. It's all civil service status, but it just wouldn't make sense for it to work that way. Best applicant for the job, that's why we have separate tests for different classifications. Hope that helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.