Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a source that the Mass DOC is putting a class on in July :-k ? I heard this from a source within. If this is true will the last group that got appointed (such as myself) get called first?

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I hear sort of conflicting stories. From one end comes, "We are short and hiring overtime" and the other is "I'm worried about getting laid off". The two somewhat conflict. However, I know our department has talks of putting some on "this July", which would go through the academy at Shirley with the DOC guys should there be a class. I wish there was a new test all together, I'd like to join up myself :D .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was also supposed to be in the class that got cut after 9/11.

If you have already been to sign the list you probably know that they are shooting for mid-September. And for those of you who did get the card and are interested in signing, get moving because you have until 7/9/03 to sign and the application they give you has to be (at the very least) post marked on or before 7/10/03.

My Father and Brother are both State CO's and they tell me they are hurting bad for people. It looks like it is a definite go and the starting pay of 1,500 and change bi-weekly is just a base (what is that?..about 39,000/year?). You get education incentive as well as extra $ for shift differential and roll call. Not to mention the forced overtime and state benefits...its a decent career and a great step for those looking to prepare for a career in LE. For me...the money will dwarf the peanuts I make at the DA's office!

Good luck to all of those going for it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't fault anyone for taking a job in corrections, just be aware it is the worst job ever. Work there for 32 years and it will be like serving an eight year bid with the cons. If you have a job in a DA's office stay there. The extra money you make is nothing compared to your sanity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I understand what you're saying, trust me it is not a place that I want to stay for more than a couple of years. But, if you have never worked for the DA's office then you wouldn't know what a struggle it is. For starters, the pay is low ($23,000.00 to start, no overtime and very little, if any raises) and it makes living on your own hard. Don't forget, the DA (as much as I appreciate the opportunity to learn I was given) is an elected official. There are politics involved anywhere you work, but more in a place like this. At the top one day, the bottom tomorrow.

I'm not crazy about being locked down eight hours a day with a bunch of cons...but for $20,000.00 raise (that is a minimum number) I will learn to deal, until a shot at police comes up...I always keep my eye on the door at this point in life. Everything I do I try to do it good and take something away from it I can use in the future. Lastly, its not like I'm sitting on my rear waiting for god to offer me a police job. I got a 96 on the MSP test, I'm awaiting my NJSP results and will be taking the RISP test also. I'll keep going until I get out.

Those who said the job sucks are right on, and if I was in a different position in life I would say NO WAY. I don't have that liberty, maybe in the future I will. :-({|=

Hey, don't take this reply the wrong way...I really do appreciate your views, thanks. :wink:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Having worked for the DOC I can tell you sometimes it was not worth the $$, I have the scars to prove that. If you take a job working on the inside of a cell block do yourself a favor and don't get stuck working a cell block for your entire career or you will end up like so many other C/Os borderline nuts.

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.