Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm fully aware of all the reasons most cops are no longer proactive in this state, including the fact that the word "proactive" itself is terrifying to most admins, I'm unfortunately one of those people who still enjoys doing the job and doing what (at least some of) the taxpayers ask of us.

With that said, is anyone aware of departments (non-CS) that still encourage policework? It seems that the vast majority of departments want TikTok cops and Netflix warriors who will hide somewhere until a call comes in, clear the call with the least amount of effort possible, and repeat.

I'd love to work someplace that doesn't view cops who make self-initiated OUI and drug arrests as being a detriment to the department.

Feel free to PM me as I know this post might ruffle some feathers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
In these days of defund the police, POST decertification, Brady Lists, and a general hatred of law enforcement by the media, any cop who’s still proactive should have their psychological redone, not to mention put one of these on their backs.

I used to enjoy riding motorcycles, until I realized how dangerous it was, and I wasn’t in charge of my own destiny.
Colorfulness Recreation Circle Precision sports Target archery

·
Southern Campus Cop
247 Posts
I used to be proactive. Then I was proactive and had to use force on the wrong person with the right connections when they tried to walk away from a DWI stop. Had to sit at home on suspension for three months while the department tried to figure out how to fuck me as much as possible and the newspapers dragged me through the mud. Then had to fight the department in court to keep my job, then immediately resign and go somewhere else.

You won’t catch me self-initiating shit. The only reason I’m even still in LE is because I’m waiting for an LE state park ranger job to come open so I can lateral over and get paid to hang out in a park all day. If that doesn’t happen soon, I’m plotting my exit strategy.

And this is in a much more pro-LE state than MA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In these days of defund the police, POST decertification, Brady Lists, and a general hatred of law enforcement by the media, any cop who’s still proactive should have their psychological redone, not to mention put one of these on their backs.

I used to enjoy riding motorcycles, until I realized how dangerous it was, and I wasn’t in charge of my own destiny. View attachment 10959
While I agree with you, I'm unfortunately plagued with being someone who likes to stay busy.

Not only that but back when all the riots were occurring, I fell into that rut and hid all shift too. That made me hate the job and be miserable coming to work everyday. It took some good interactions with the public for me to remember my "why" and get back into the swing of things. This job is a lot more rewarding when you can go home at night knowing you did what you could to prevent someone's kid from getting hit by a drunk, or getting a gun off the street before it ends up being used in another crime. We can't save the world and we can't prevent everything, but if we do what we can it makes the job a lot more bearable.

Our society is brainwashed and the masses will hate us if the TV tells them to, but right now the pendulum is starting to swing back as communities are realizing what happens when you defund the police. For every cop-hating moron there's an honest family worth protecting.

·
Registered
590 Posts
While I agree with you, I'm unfortunately plagued with being someone who likes to stay busy.

Not only that but back when all the riots were occurring, I fell into that rut and hid all shift too. That made me hate the job and be miserable coming to work everyday. It took some good interactions with the public for me to remember my "why" and get back into the swing of things. This job is a lot more rewarding when you can go home at night knowing you did what you could to prevent someone's kid from getting hit by a drunk, or getting a gun off the street before it ends up being used in another crime. We can't save the world and we can't prevent everything, but if we do what we can it makes the job a lot more bearable.

Our society is brainwashed and the masses will hate us if the TV tells them to, but right now the pendulum is starting to swing back as communities are realizing what happens when you defund the police. For every cop-hating moron there's an honest family worth protecting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to be proactive. Then I was proactive and had to use force on the wrong person with the right connections when they tried to walk away from a DWI stop. Had to sit at home on suspension for three months while the department tried to figure out how to fuck me as much as possible and the newspapers dragged me through the mud. Then had to fight the department in court to keep my job, then immediately resign and go somewhere else.

You won’t catch me self-initiating shit. The only reason I’m even still in LE is because I’m waiting for an LE state park ranger job to come open so I can lateral over and get paid to hang out in a park all day. If that doesn’t happen soon, I’m plotting my exit strategy.

And this is in a much more pro-LE state than MA.
I'm sorry to hear that brother. Sounds like admin threw you right under the bus just like many other good cops across the country. Frustrating is an understatement. Bodycams and union protection are a must, as the days of anyone taking a cop's word at face value are long gone.

I tried the private sector thing, grass wasn't greener. The private sector doesn't like straight-forward people. If you don't sugar coat every last word, you won't be successful in most private sector jobs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes they do, I am lucky to work for one. Stopping cars, making arrests and generally staying busy is rewarded. Obviously we have our negative Nancies but it’s like that anywhere. I think a big reason for this is we’re about a mile away from a shitty part of a shitty city. Doing intense traffic enforcement in searching a lot of cars is a good way to keep the riff raft out of our City. It’s a bigger town (80,000 pop) but very suburban and higher end. The mayor supports us because he realizes what could happen if we stop being proactive

·
Subscribing Member
1,617 Posts
"Proactive"... the first stage of one's Police career.
"Reactive"... the second stage.
"Inactive"... the third and final stage, LOL.

I'm half-kidding of course, but for those of you who don't know me here, I'm rapidly approaching my 3rd decade in blue, so if you can't take a joke or can't appreciate my well-practiced professional sarcasm, well then I suggest you keep scrolling rather than keep reading.

As tenona1 said, I too would rather be busy than be bored at work, and I still feel like I contribute 'proactively' by putting the worst of the worst away doing what I do in my current role/unit. However, I'm guessing that the OP's inquiry is more interested in identifying Departments who still embrace and/or reward Officers who maintain a proactive patrol posture?

I too was once a proud and occasionally successful aggressive criminal enforcer on patrol, but that was back when we were allowed to do so. I loved the gig back then, and I still take a lot of pride in what I do now, but times have clearly changed for those of you who are still admirably working the road... Godspeed to you all.

Don't ever let anyone who hasn't worked in your boots tell you how to lace them up.

·
Subscribing Member
3,556 Posts
On my department, certain officers may choose to be on the reactive side while many others still choose to still be proactive, although maybe with a little more thought behind it.

In the past, my department has always encouraged our personnel to actively do their jobs, whether it be on the Patrol side or the Investigative side, and they still do that today. The word "proactive" is definitely not terrifying to my department's command staff. Crime, and especially violent crime is out of control in southern California (like many major cities) so even if you didn't want to be proactive, sometimes you just happen upon it in progress, or having just occurred.

In my over 30 years with the LAPD, I've never heard anyone in a supervisory position (including me), ask their people to look the other way and not do their jobs to the best of their ability. And yes, proactive work is still encouraged.

That being said, as long as the officer/detective does their job within Department policy and state law, the Department will back them. I've seen it many times, including and up to officer involved shootings.

Tenona, the weather is also "wicked betta" out west so come out and take a look!

Join LAPD |

·
Registered
397 Posts
Guy is causing a scene yelling, swearing, pushing and challenging cops to fight. They unsuccessfully deescalate, crowded place so they are out of options and go to take him as an arrest. He immediately starts resisting. He yells and screams causing a crowd to film. He yells that police are hurting him, the crowd turns on the police and start yelling to "let him go" even though they only have his arm and are trying to get him in cuffs. His buddy sees what's going on and tries interfering in the arrest while screaming and pushing the cops while pulling on his buddy to help him flee. He is placed under arrest too. Later someone in the crowd who was not involved files an excessive force complaint and goes to the media. The whole case is dropped and cops are suspended pending the outcome.

People are more suspicious of police the ever before and the benefit of the doubt is gone. Suspects know this and will resist to try and flip the situation in their favor. For A&B po they won't see a day in jail for it in most cases and know cops are hesitant to use justified force to make lawful arrests for this reason. Que the lawsuits. The courts drop alot of cases and arrests don't have the teeth they used too. Suspects aren't scared of being arrested anymore, I've had more people challenge cops to "go ahead and arrest me", recently then ever before. The admin doesn't want the headache of dealing with media and pressure situations like this. These scenarios play out more and more, you would never see stuff like this years ago. That's what makes cops being proactive more hesitant. If you have legit arrests most people are on board with them. If your hunting, you find something, gun/drugs and something goes south it's "he was stopped for a broken tail light and looked what happened". It's changed a lot in the 11 years I've been on, I still try and stay busy and enjoy the work with making good pinches. Just make sure the juice of what your pushing on is worth the squeeze. Stay frosty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts