Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Secret Ninja Turtle Jump Suit type guys told me that their will be a call out of members of various local Metropolitan area PD's to assist with the Democratic National Congress AKA "Big Ass Drunken Party for Fat Cat Democrats" in Boston next year.

Sort of like what they do down in Foxboro when tha Patriots play. All different area PD's come in to augment the local PD to provide everything from basic response calls to civil disturbances if need be.

Any other Secret Ninja Turtle Jump Suit type guys or MSP "STOP" Turtles hear any of these rumors floating around? Discuss...........................

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
I am in agreement here ... As long as I get my share of OT and details, I will have no prob with other dept. coming in to help.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
HousingCop said:
One of my Secret Ninja Turtle Jump Suit type guys

Any other Secret Ninja Turtle Jump Suit type guys or MSP "STOP" Turtles hear any of these rumors floating around? Discuss...........................
LOL LOL Wise Ass LOL LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats understandable that you will be working in YOUR city or town, where you are supposed to be. When the DNC is all over will there be any reciprocation from these outside agencies should a detail or OT slot be opened in their city/town. Seems to be a one way street is what I am saying.

Is it better to keep a closed shop or spread the wealth around? You have to look at the big picture here. I am certainly not opposed to outside jurisdictions coming in to help out but make it reciprocal. The way it looks now, there's going to be thin blue lines, literally.

If the WTO in Seattle & DNC in Philly are any indication, we are going to have our hands full of archanists and Free Mumia & Leonard Peltier freaks in our midst. It's going to be a fun week. I may just take a vacation then.

BHCCPD,
I am glad I can amuse you & bring smiles to otherwise cynical peoples all over this board. LOL

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know that there will be plenty of work to go around in Boston. They are calling for a TON of details around the city.

On a side note. On my part-time job in a small town on the S. Shore, I was asked if I would be interested in doing any work for the DNC. I told them "Hells yeah"!

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
BHCCPD,
I am glad I can amuse you & bring smiles to otherwise cynical peoples all over this board. LOL[/quote]

Oh I know!!!! some people so tight assed

·
Registered
74 Posts
Couple points of interest for Boston during the summer of '04'...

Not only will there be work within the city itself, there will be a ton of security details at Greater Boston hotels. The hotelroom supply in the city will not support the thousands expected for the convention. When the All-Star game was held at Fenway in 1999 (pre-Sept. 11 of course), hotels as far away as Lowell to the north and Boxborough to the West were housing attendees and offiicials. Now think about today's security concerns... XYZ Hotel security will not be able to meet the demands.

Also coming to Boston... SailBoston 2004, 2 weeks (?) after the DNC. Expected attendees over 1 week: Million plus. Again this event was last help pre-Sept. 11.

Don't forget that they are attempting to roll the 'Last Call' time back to 4 AM during the DNC for bars in Boston. That too will bring more idiots to the city!

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
As for the MSP, we've already been informed that no requests for vacation or any other time off will be considered for the week of the convention. Also ALL MSP barracks will be on 12 hour shifts for the DNC week. Command had told us that all Troops will be donating a significant amount of manpower to the DNC security. Something on the order of 1800 Troopers will be patrolling the DNC, not including Boston PD. This also does not include IMAT (incident management), communications, SERT (riot), STOP, mounted units, underwater recovery, and air wing. I cannot answer any rumors of calling for more local assistance, but certainly would not rule it out.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
I believe most if not ALL of the police overtime/detail work in Boston will be MSP, BPD, MBTA only. The DNC comes along with the post 9-11 Military Police aspect for outside/inside building security. The Secret Service, FBI, and Homeland Security units like the Coast Gauard will be used on the federal side. Metro area PD's will get a share when the DNC major players want to go out sight seeing or when they have to lodge outside of Boston. The events held on or near the colleges will have many campus cops willing/ordered to work many hours of OT/Details.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Talked with a few officers from the FPS police a few months ago at a class, and they will be going natiowide for assistance during the DNC.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
DNC MAY FORCE ARTERY CLOSURE

Ellen Silberman

The Boston Herald reported today that the United States Secret Service may order a major portion of the Central Artery closed during the DNC. The closing could last several hours to two days and would likely reroute traffic along surface streets.

At previous political conventions the Secret Service has required all people, M/V, and equipment within 100 yards of the event searched by public safety officals and dogs.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE :shock:

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Secret Service Could Close Artery For Convention
Proximity To FleetCenter Is Security Concern

POSTED: 7:32 a.m. EST October 30, 2003
UPDATED: 7:41 a.m. EST October 30, 2003

BOSTON -- Portions of the Central Artery, including some of the new underground southbound lanes of Interstate 93, could be closed off for security reasons during the Democratic National Convention in July, officials said.

The proximity of I-93 to the FleetCenter is a concern to the Secret Service, spokeswoman Jean Mitchell said. The southbound I-93 underground lanes, scheduled to open by the end of the year, pass just 40 feet from the FleetCenter where the convention to nominate a Democratic presidential candidate will be held from July 26 to 29.

The shutdown could last anywhere from several hours to two days and could potentially cause gridlock in the city as traffic would have to be rerouted onto surface streets.

"We're trying to secure that area for not only the protectees but also for the residents of the city," Mitchell said. "There will be traffic flow concerns. But we know that the people of Boston have to conduct their lives, so we try not to disrupt them to the extent that's possible."

As convention organizers plan for the first national political convention since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, they emphasized that no decisions have been made and the final arrangements will accommodate both commuters and convention-goers.

Julie Burns, executive director of the convention host committee, said she could not comment on security matters, but that no proposals for traffic changes had been offered.

Sean O'Neill, a spokesman for the $13.4 billion highway project known as the Big Dig, said no formal requests to shut down the artery have been made.

But U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano, D-Mass. said that the idea is "on the table." He said he is telling businesses to "consider a snow week during July" in anticipation of any shutdown.

Mitchell said no shutdown of I-93 would be ordered without extensive talks with Boston officials.

Seth Gitell, a spokesman for Mayor Thomas M. Menino, said the mayor could not comment because he had not been told about the possibilities.

Organizers have previously said that trucks and other large vehicles would probably be diverted from the Leonard Zakim-Bunker Hill Bridge before they reach the area around the FleetCenter.

Security officials also plan to shut down the MBTA's North Station stop, adjacent to the arena, and have commuter rail trains stop at temporary platforms before the station.
If this is true and they do end up shutting down RT93, I think the Boston Departments (BPD, Housing PD, Municipal PD, MBTA and MSP) are going to need all the help they can get. If they shut down RT93 for hours, nevermind days, the city and even surrounding communities are going to be COMPLETELY gridlocked.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
:eek:t: Just thought I would mention, as a side note, an interesting book called Chicago 1968 by David Faber. The book talks about the 1968 Democratic Convention and goes in depth into about thePolice Procedures that were involved, and what many have called the 'Police Riot' that occured. Interesting read, maybe some good lessons. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
BPD Spec Op's will probably handle all callouts in the Govt. Center area with MSP STOP in reserve at Fleet Center for backup. The Feds (USSS) call the ball, as other people said the alphabet soup will be runneth over, you name it FBI, SS, Park Service, DSS all sorts of Feds will be running around they might even let Customs carry their guns!!! NEMLEC from what it sounds will not be in Boston but might help with the LNG tanks over in Everett, and the Norfolk team will assist in the south of Boston. As someone said the "munis" will be stretched thin as they will used in the hotel zone, and we have to cover a ton of hotels that Boston cant possibly cover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.