Dive bars in and around Boston | MassCops

Dive bars in and around Boston

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by cc3915, Jun 1, 2011.

1. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Luke O'Neil spent many nights in bars over the past year and a half. The frequent Boston Globe contributor estimates he stopped by around 120 bars around the city before whittling the list down to the 90 spots featured in his new book, "Boston's Best Dive Bars: Drinking and Diving in Beantown." "Time hasn't affected them," O'Neil says of the haunts. "Many of them still look like they did 40 years ago." Dive bars are also an endangered species, disappearing from the city's imbibing landscape, he adds — a few places even closed while he was writing the book.

Dive bars in and around Boston - Boston.com

[​IMG]

2. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Not to be a buzzkill, but a Boston Police Officer was shot and killed in the Tam (lower left photo) in 1969;

Patrolman Francis B. Johnson, Boston Police Department, Massachusetts

The officer's son was in the Army in Vietnam at the time of the murder, and was flown back for the wake & funeral. He went on to join the Quincy PD, and I worked with him for several years before he retired awhile back.

3. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

I've visited my fair share of watering holes back in the day and I remember my father telling me that story when I was a kid & we were driving by. Never set foot in that shathole because of that reason. Bad ju-ju.
    Anybody remember the Fathers 1,2,3,4 chain in & around Boston? I preferred Fathers 2 on Harvard Ave, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Apparently no one in the bar called the police, because the gunman was a "regular" who was "just fooling around". One of the customers went outside and got the attention of Officer Johnson, who was on a traffic post. My former co-worker testifies at every parole hearing the shitbag has had, and last I heard, he is still in prison.

Got me on that one.

The biggest dive bar I ever went to was this shithole called "Roy's Place" in Central Falls, Rhode Island.

5. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

The Nook in Westfield is a shit hole. When you order a beer you have to request a clean glass. Hells Angels hang out there too.

6. When I used to work at the airport, a bunch of us would always head over to Jeveli's in East Boston for a bite to eat and/or some drinks after work. Then, on occasion, we would walk just a few doors down to The Pony Lounge and do some drunk karaoke. Now that place was a dive if I ever saw one.

I don't miss those days.

7. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

8. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Silhouette is still there. Hogans Run in Brighton is a nice place to get exposed to hepatitis, stick to bottled beer.

9. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

The Cell Block in Lowell.
    A monumental D U M P.

As was the Ming in Billerica and from what I heard, The Oaks in Tewksbury would give you ptomaine just from walking past it.

10. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

How about the Diplomat in Brockton? It was right across the street from a trailer park. They even had a downstairs lounge. I believe they shot the bar scene in Star Wars there.

11. Usa8235

Usa8235 MassCops Member

Thats a blast from my past too..where else could the ladies get 10cent drinks on monday and tuesdays!!! many a hangover after Fathers stroll!! my favorite one was in the Fenway across from Fenway Park as i could roll back to my dorm..then they turned it into herbies ramrod room (blech and barf!)
    Biggest dive i have been in is called the Hose Trough in Waltham..its got to be seen to be believed...

12. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I always liked The Porthole in Lynn, always the last call spot.

13. Ahh, yep. Forgot about that place. Spent a few evenings there at my roommate's behest. Watched some pretty gnarley karaoke. :)

14. SPINMASS

SPINMASS Subscribing Member

I am a fan of TC's Lounge on Haviland Street. It is a unique place but has some great sites.

15. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Watched my buddy try to pick up a girl in there...thought something was off about her eyebrows and hairline....told him she was wearing a wig, he said Im crazy.

Ends up having relations with her in the bed of his pickup, said wig promptly falls off. Wasn't a tranny, but she had alopecia. Luckily he was a gentleman, and didn't reach around in the throes of passion and wipe her eyebrows off. A better man than me.

16. That reminds me... A former roommate (the same one that used to drag me to the Porthole) once went home w/ a guy, to discover at the most inopportune time that he had a prosthetic leg. Bummer. :p

17. rireserve

rireserve MassCops Member

The Pony is now a rough and tumble Latin joint called the Modelo.

18. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I hear there is a lot of that in the back rooms of the RamRod.

I stopped an OUI one time who said that this was the last place that he had a drink. I figured that it would be a sinch to get him to blow:redcarded: (the Breathalyzer).

He refused, GO FIGURE!!!

19. It figures. Everything else in that area is going to the latinos... why not the dive bars too!

20. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

Are you making a very veiled "Wet Back" comment here?:redcarded:

21. Truthfully, I hadn't thought of it that way... but thanks for catching it. :redcarded:

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

A couple of years ago I did a big favor for a classmate, and she wanted to buy me a drink as thanks. We went to The Fours in Quincy, and she remarked "You're always saying how Quincy has gone downhill, but this place is really nice". I asked "Do you have time for one more?"

We walked a short distance to "Tully's Cafe", which we affectionately refer to as "The Star Wars Bar", and just as we were walking in, a drunk mess woman fell backwards off her bar stool, crashing to the floor and sending her Miller High Life flying in all directions.

I said "I rest my case", and we walked back out the door.

23. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

The ManHole, right next to the Slippery pole in P-town is nice... it has a real nice salad bar...:yellowcarded:

24. BscBandit09

BscBandit09 MassCops Member

Lets not forget Peggy O's on dot ave and JD's pub in Ranberry.

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I'm afraid to ask why you know about P-Town bars.....