Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asking for a shredder for our dispatch center for a while now. All of our dispatcher notes are placed in the trash which goes to the town dump. In my opinion this is wrong, notes should be shredded. Anybody picking through trash can get info such as DOB, SS#'s, Names. I tear all of mine up, however I don't have control over the others.

My questions are,

1) How many dispatch centers shred notes ?

2) Is this an issue in other centers ?

3) Or is it me being anal retentive (BE NICE) ?

Ed

·
Registered
447 Posts
Shredder

All dispatch centers should have a shredder. the stuff we write done is cori information. We have to have all the NCIC/LEAPstuff shredded, either by us, the chief or someone else.

What happens to the LEAPS print outs after your chief reviews them? Do they just go into the trash? If so it is a major violation. Any and all notes and writtings should and most be kept confidental.

I know of centers where the janitor will go through the trash as he is taking it out of the dispatch area looking for juicy stuff. Not good.

Everything should be kept (like police officers notes) or shredded at the end of the shift.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
LEAPS gets shredded.

I'm still the reigning champion (3 years running) for being the guy that is constantly rummaging through the trash for info I forgot to put in the computer ](*,)

·
1,952 Posts
Leaps is reviewed by the operations manager and any notes are tossed with the garbage, not really a concern of ours because the notes we take are just ID info and nothing really pertaining to the incident most of the time

·
Registered
447 Posts
ID Theft

Also look at the fact that by tossing notes into the trash with out shredding could lead to ID left. An SSN, OLN, name and DOB can go a long way into ID therft.

·
Registered
221 Posts
One day I caught the garbage men who empty our dumpster rummaging around the dumpster before they emptied it. I don't know what they were looking for, personal info, drugs, bongs or whatever. But I brought it to the chief's attention and needless to say had converstation with the fine upstanding garbage engineeers.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Re: ID Theft

MCOA41 said:
Also look at the fact that by tossing notes into the trash with out shredding could lead to ID left. An SSN, OLN, name and DOB can go a long way into ID theft.
Shred LEAPS/CJIS info(when and if the shredder is working), notes I just usually ripped up and tossed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
National Park dispatch shreds all notes that do not need to be filed. We keep printouts from LEAPS for three days and then shred them all.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I shread everything after my dispatch shift. Sometimes I keep my notes if I know i'll need them later.
Mikey682,
I always knew you forgot something! :L:

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
Few years back a town in the metrowest area got into major trouble after it was discovered that they disposed of old CJIS/NCIC printouts in the back dumpster. The printouts were not shreded and placed in clear plastic bags for anyone to look at :shock: CJIS was not very happy and it was a major battle to keep the computer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In Illinois we have LEADS. It is policy that all print outs, not needed by the officers, from LEADS/NCIC be shredded. No one reviews the printouts, but the people on the shift will go through and tear off the printouts for the officers and put them into a envelope that the officer come pick up to bring back to their PD's. After we do that, there isn't much left to shred.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Our LEAPS printouts that are not needed for an officer are tossed in a box in dispatch, which our detectives go through a couple of times each week, and they shred whatever they do not need.

As far as our notes... I tend to rip mine up, but most people do not. My scrap papers look like a lot of jibberish anyway, so even if someone wanted some information, it would be tough to decipher it anyways!

-Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
our dispatch department shreds all notes at the end of our shifts, we do not leave anything hanging around, wether it be our notes or anything that has come off of LEAPS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.