Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think it is right for The Dispacthers to go around raising money and having things done with the police logo or name on everything they do?? Even though that they are two different departments basicllyy

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Absolutely! They work for the same department, they just have different responsibilities. Some departments' officers may not always get along with the dispatchers on the air, but I think for the most part, the dispatchers are right there with those officers, sweating it out, their hearts pounding and praying for them when the doo doo's going down.

If they are raising money for a cause, like child leukemia or something, wouldn't you want them to use your departments' logo? Make you look good? Sheesh! I really hate this kind of stuff, like "let's keep everyone nice and separate so we don't have to be associated with the low-life civilians!" Like police officers are part of some elite club that's just so chi-chi!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right they're right there with you but there not they can't vote on the LEO contract and they don't go to union meetings and all that good stuff. But is it some sort of fruad if they don't have permission to do so, and relax it's a simple guestion you don't have to get all mad or does it hit a sore spot . geesh sorry

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
So what if they're not in the same union, our superior officers are in a different union than us, does that mean they can't have cook outs with the Muni logo on the tablecloth?

And what are you talking about "fraud", what fraud? Is there something specific that you're talking about? Are the dispatchers from your department (whatever THAT is) impersonating police officers?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, but it's just that in away they are one department but in other ways it would make it two different. But you also have to to take into that they can do details or inforce they law, that also makes a big difference. right ?

G

·
Dispatchers for the most part are civillian employees who work for the Police Department. Some wear uniforms and should have the huge rocker DISPATCHER above the patch. If you ask me, it should be tattoo'd on their forehead. I know some Dispatchers who drive Crown Vics and "Spark it up" and pretend to be what they aren't. If they use the logo of the Police Department on anything, the logo DISPATCHER should be emblazened in 1" red letters above the patch. That way they will never be mistaken for what they are not, which is POLICE OFFICERS. As for Superior officers using the logo, they at least went through a police academy and paid their dues on the street, unlike Dispatchers who sit in an airless cubicle in a concrete building. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its amazing how there are still cops out there that have no respect for their dispatchers what so ever. Its nice to see that there are cops out there that will try to stand up for dispatches and give credit where credit is due. Yes there are times where on the air you get heated and what not but where else would you be without the dispatcher?? How would you like to have a cell phone and have every person that calls the station be calling that cell phone?? See how you handle things then?? I also for got to mention that in between the calls you have to run everyones plates and WMS checks and all the other little BS that dispatchers have to do.

Using the departsment logo for fund raises, why even argue that? Having to put DISPATCHER in 1" lettering above everything, thats just making sure you exclude them.

It just erkes me when cops look down on dispatcher or what to "exclude them or make them stand out" so that there not mistaken. Come on now where are all here for the same reason and to get the same results. Last time I checked my spelling there was no I in TEAM. If that has changed please let me know so I can go buy a new dictionary. Just my

·
Registered
393 Posts
As a part time dispatcher I feel that there is no problem using the dept. logo's etc. for fundraising or charity work. We work damn hard sometimes trying to do a hundred things at once. Especially if you have a combined dispatch center. Just my
!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dispatchers should definitely be able to use their department's logo as long as approved by the brass. Dispatchers do a job that very few cops want to do and that some cops don't appreciate. There are, of course, those individuals who should not be working as a dispatcher with a police patch on their shoulder . . . those who are hardly professional and who lack the maturity to be allowed access to "police" logos. On the same hand though, there are police officers who should never have been give a badge because they too are unprofessional and take advantage of their position. So, I don't see how you can exclude a whole group due to the actions of a few select nit-wits.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Interesting, there are quite a few departments who use sworn officers as dispatchers. Usually this is some sort of bid job. To be honest, it would be tough to be a cop if there was no one to tell you where to go? Know what I'm saying? ;)

The issue with dispatchers using the logo shouldn't be a problem If your department is hirng reputable trustworthy people as dispatchers, then you really shouldn't have to worry right? Maybe that is where the problem lies?

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Whoa!

Feel the love! How many of you critics have sat in that chair doing six-point-five (6.5) things per minute? Alot of us Police Officers out here had to ride the pine once or twice, or for a shift. NCIC Cert/911 Enhanced etc.
Not very easy at times. When was the last time you gave a dispatcher a break to go to the head?

Oh noses out of joint for fundraising!? Please! Anybody who gets a paycheck from the department is a member of that agency. Who's next to look down at? Matrons, Crossing guards, constables? How do you put your pants on?

Time to move on?

Reactions: Goose

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with mpd61... but of course I would, I have held more dispatcher positions than anything. :cool:

I have been privileged enough to work for departments that take good care of their dispatchers; nearly every officer I worked with was very respectful and helpful to me. Sounds like that is not the case everywhere... guess I am one of the lucky ones. Those of you who look down on those at the desk, please remember that we are all on the same team. Power trips cause problems, not solve them.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Every job has it's bad apples, but you have to look at them as individuals, not as a department. I know some people that shouldn't even wear even a plastic junior officers badge because their attitudes are an embarrassment to children everywhere... let's knock off the exclusionary doodie, it's really UNBECOMING of adult police officers. People who think like that really have some insecurity issues, like they're afraid the dispatchers are going to take away their hairy-chest-big-man-hero-in-the-spotlight statures.
This is what the people who think that dispatchers are not part of their department sound like to me:

NYAH NYAH, you can't be in our club because you're stupid dumb dumb heads! We're better than you!

SO WHAT if they're not academy trained police officers! They are still on the SAME DEPARTMENT, it's the SAME JOB, just a different JOB DESCRPITION! If you have people who VOLUNTEER to help organize and run an event like for charity (which most fundraisers are for, no?) that work on your department, they can stamp the logos on their asses for all I care!

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
I agree that dispatchers should be allowed to use the department(s) name. They are an active member of said police agency, and with out them, your/our job would be much much harder to do.

G

·
I have to weigh in here, I just got home from a detail that started @ 4:00pm this afternoon. It's now 2:00am, (brockton V.Everett high school football game).So I'm tired and bitchy so this probably wont sound to nice, so forgive while I rant on.

I have read everyone's responses to this topic and I have to say I absoulutley agree with those that support the dispatchers. MPD61 I could not have said it better myself, I'am a special police officer in the City of Everett and the Shit I deal with from the regulars in in my opinon is totaly ridiculiuos ( i know I spelt that wrong). I never met a bunch of people who think there above everyone else in my life.

If you draw a pay check from the dept you work ( and even if you dont-and you only represent that dept on a voluntary basis)then you have every right to collect money in support of a good cause in that dept's name (with there proper permission of course).

I'm so sick and tired of the attitude of Cops (certain ones ) thinking they should be on a pedastill just because of the job they do ( most of the one's that think that way are the ones who got there ass"s handed to them in high school and now there making up for it).

Look we all know the dangers of the job granted, but those people who dispatch are just as much involved as the officer on the street, IT'S A PARTNERSHIP, no matter what way you cut it or slice it. So I give praise to those who stick out the job for 10.00 an hour with no details and limited overtime, to help out anyway they can.

HAIL TO THE DISPATCHERS, YA DAM Right they earn there right everday.

And to the person who said they said they seen them driving around in there own personal crown vics, my response is( and no disresepct) hey if there making the payments then, WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Whats the big deal, as long as they dont go around pulling people over and playing Mr. Police Officer then whats the difference, if they step over the line then worry about it.

Well that's all I have to say, and again it's just my opinon I'm not trying to offend anyone here I just hate to see good people get a bad rap. There are alot of good people out there doing the same type of work they should not be stigmatized by some random shitheads who give them a bad name. Cops in general are alway's saying please dont judge me by what other cops do I my own person, well the same goes for dipatchers and other involved in LE. So for what you expect you must give the same, it's called the "Benifit of the Doubt"(unless you can prove otherwise- and intil you can you aint got shit).

I so hate to see people doing there job whether it be a Constable , Sheriff, Dispatcher or any other LE professional getting a bad rap because of how some Retards act like Morons and give them a bad name.Cops have those retards too. ( trust me I know quite a few).

Judge on an individual basis, Do not generalize, when you Generalize it diminishe's your own character.

Again I must reinterate I'm not trying to offend anyone here those are not my intentions it's just that,this type of conversation burns my ass, big time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
1st of all thank you to the major majority of you that support your Dispatchers. And I hope the very few of you that seem to have a problem with Dispatchers never need my help. Ok, I would help because like all dispatchers I consider all of you, even the jerks as my brothers and sisters. Maybe we did not go through the hell of the academy and bitter cold of the 3 am MV stop but we have our own hell we deal with on a regular basis. I am proud to be a dispatcher to know I play a very vital role in keeping your ass alive to go home. I have had the honor to represent my department (Police Dept) at the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. We may be civilians but we are a part of you. We are not 2 seperate departments unless you are actualy a seperate dept like Cambridge. Even if you are, we are all the same. To be honest to the officers that do not see that I feel very sorry for you and the people you work with.
Yes you have dispatchers that act like wannabes but I know cop that are just as bad. DO i need to get into some accounts of cops in Holyoke, Springfield and oter areas. People are people and in any group of any size you will find some bad apples.
Once again thank you to my brothers and sisters taht support us behind the desk in the airless concrete building.

PS I say this as an individual not as a member of the MCOA or my dept.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Let's not forget that some dispatchers already *did* go through an academy, and are using the dispatch job to improve their chances of being hired as a police officer.

There are some lousy dispatchers out there. There are some lousy police officers out there. The proportion of each is probably about equal.

It sounds like there are some officers with some strong feelings about those who work the desk. Glad I have been lucky enough to work for departments that are apparently a bit more selective in their hiring when it comes down to "plays nice with others".

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do you know I always check locals, on every plate, every name… EVERY
time ?
that when I ask you to repeat your location, it is because I know a
traffic stop is one of the most dangerous things you do?

Do you know how hard I try to be faster, better, clearer… how
frustrated I am when I cannot understand you, how worried I am that
you'll think it's me?

Do you know how much I hate it when you don't answer your status
checks?
How truly frightened I am?
How helpless I feel?
How my heart pounds while I start you backup, that can never get
there in time…

Do you know it matters to me…
I don't wear a badge, or a gun but I want to make a difference…
I want to make the world a little safer, a little better…
I take pride in getting the 'bad guys' and helping the good ones…

Do you know how much one 'thank-you' means, how one "good job on
that" has to last weeks, sometimes months?

Do you know that *I know* that you swear at us, think we are stupid,
and lazy, have rag sessions at shift change...
That *I know* not every dispatcher tries?

Do you know I can hear you laugh at me, or laugh with me.
I can hear when you're tired, sick or just in a bad mood.
I can hear a smile through the radio, just as clearly as I can hear
disdain.

Do you know that I pray…
When I can't raise you on the radio, when you're code three, when I
send you to fights, drunks, domestics… when I am home in the dark of
night, mind still racing from the day.

Do you know that I care?

·
Registered
447 Posts
A long time chief of polce wrote this a few years back.

Someone once asked me if I thought that answering telephones and
telling assigning duties to officers for a living was a profession. I
said I thought it was a calling.
I have found in my law enforcement career that dispatchers are the
unsung heroes of public safety. They miss the excitement of a pursuit
or getting to an emergency quickly. They can only hear of the bright
orange flames leaping from a burning building. They do not get to see
the joy of the loved ones and friends when a medical emergency is
brought to a safe conclusion.
Dispatchers sit in darkened rooms looking at computer screens and
talking to voices from faces they can't see It is like reading a lot
of books, but only half of each one.
Dispatchers connect the anxious conversations of terrified victims,
angry complainants, suicidal students, and grouchy officers. They are
the calming influence of all of our community members and guests.
They are often the quiet competent voices in the night that provide
the pillars for the bridges of sanity and safety.
They are expected to gather information from highly aggitated
people who can't remember where they parked their vehicles, if they
locked their rooms, or what they just witnessed. And then they are to
calmly provide all that information to officers, fire fighters, and
paramedics without error-the first time, every time.
Dispatchers are expected to be able to do five things at once-and to
do them all well. While questioning a panicked caller, they must type
the information into the computer, answer an alarm, put another
caller on hold, and to listen to an officer run a plate for a parking
promlem. This may all be going on while a vistor is at the window to
get directions to a campus location. To miss the plate number is to
raise the officer's blood pressure; to miss the caller's information
may endanger the officer's life. But the officer will seldom
understand that.
Dispatchers have two constant companions. Other dispatchers and
stress. They depend on one and try to ignore the other. They are
screamed at by upset callers with no patience, taken for granted by
the public, and criticized by officers. The rewards they get are
inexpensive and infrequent, except for the satisfaction they feel at
the end of a shift, having done what they were expected to do and
more.
Dispatchers come in all shapes and sizes, all races, boths sexes,
and all ages. They are blondes, brunettes, redheads, and no hair at
all. They are quiet or outgoing, single or married, plain, beautiful,
or handsome. No two are alike, yet they are all the same and are
constantly compared to each other. They care about people and they
enjoy being the lifeline of society-that steady voice in a storm-the
one who knows how to handle every emergency and does it with style
and grace, and uncompromised competence.
Dispatchers play many roles: therapist, answer person, doctor,
lawyer, teacher, weather prognosticator, guidance counselor,
psychologist, secretary, supervisor, and reporter.
If they hold in the stress, they are too closed. If they talk about
it, they are whiners. If it bothers them, it adds more stress. If it
doesn't, they question themselves, and wonder why.
Dispatchers are expected to have the compassion of Mother Teresa;
the wisdom of Solomon; the interviewing skills of Oprah Winfrey; the
gentleness of Florence Nightingale; the patience of Job; the voice of
Barbara Streisand or Tom Brokaw; the knowledge of Einstein; the
answers of Ann Landers; the people skills of Sheriff Any Taylor, the
humor of David Letterman; the investigative skills of Joe Friday; the
looks of Julia Roberts or Tom Cruise; the faith of the Pope; and the
energy and endurance of the EverReady Bunny.
It is a unique and talented person who can do this job and do it
well. Many have tried and failed. It takes a special person with
unique skills. I admire and thank you for the thankless job you all
do. Our success oftentimes starts and ends with your involvement.

(This also was added.....)

All to often, dispatchers are the forgotten affected co-worker. COPS
(Concerns of Police Survivors, Inc.) wants each and every dispatcher
across this nation to know we appreciate the life-line they provide
to law enforcement and we do know they suffer each and every time an
officer goes down.

·
Registered
447 Posts
tomahawk,
Some of us even went through the police academy got certified as an EMT and even completed the Firefighter 1 training to become the best dispatcher possible.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.