Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I would say overall my dispatching experience has been excellent but today may put a kink in that. The 17th I was dispatching and we had a call to investigate possible A+B, basically the victim wanted legal advise on what they could do. So officers went over and talked with the person and they declined to press charges which was against the advise of the officers. Anyways, we took the party's info etc and they wrote a case about it. When they came back to give me the details all they said they had was the subjects name which is insufficient info to run in LEAPS. Well today, 18th, suddenly in the report the subjects info was present and the LT questioned why he wasn't run in the system. So they ran him and he was 2 defualt warrants. My problem is that it will probably come back to me even though it shouldn't.

I guess this is just me ranting

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Scott

I wouldn't think twice about it. You asked the right questions and the answer was not supplied to you, case closed. The only thing they might pitch a bitch about is why you didn't ask the caller who the other party was. Anytime we go to an A&B, domestic etc... Our dispatchers always try to get the info on both parties and run em WMS before we arrive.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by Crvtte65:
When they came back to give me the details all they said they had was the subjects name which is insufficient info to run in LEAPS.
Did they have his full name? If they had a first and last name on the person, you can always try a WMS or an R3(license scroll), unless of course the guy has a name like John Smith or something like that. Also, you never know, he could even be in your in-house computer.

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Joe B:
Did they have his full name? If they had a first and last name on the person, you can always try a WMS or an R3(license scroll)...Also, you never know, he could even be in your in-house computer.
They did have a full name but we didn't even know what state he lived in (rules out R3) and the WMS is good but without solid info on the DOB etc it would be hard to determine if it were him. I did check our internal system which was negative and also the college's database to get info but he wasn't a student

·
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea, I forgot that the A+B took place the previous thursday and the subject was not present.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not to push the blame back to you Scott, but for warrant checks via WMS, you do not need a DOB. There is not even a spot for one even if you had it... anyways, do not stress about it too long, as I'm sure it will happen again down the road. Officers do not always get what us desk dudes consider "enough", either due to the nature of the incident or a simple slip of the mind... get used to it!

I almost always run an R3 when trying to ID a caller or someone without more information other than a name - it is basically your only option, since most people do not have WMS entries.

Remember, they will show up in the scroll even if they do not have a MA license. State ID's and anyone who received any sort of driving penalty in the state, regardless of where they are licensed, will show up as an A or X number.

-Mike

·
Registered
533 Posts
WMS1A, R3, R8, Q5, BOP, FSI, all work w/out a D.O.B.

If the guy is involved with a situation at a school, a good guess on DOB's would be 1977-1984, etc.

But on the flip side, about 5 years ago, I took a call from a woman who was a real bi%&ch, and so I ran her thru WMS, and found a warrant, the responding (day shift lazy) cop was absolutley pissed off beyond belief.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Originally posted by Ken:
I took a call from a woman who was a real bi%&ch, and so I ran her thru WMS, and found a warrant
LOL I had a similar situation where the guy that called in a B&E in progress was a complete ass, a check in WMS showed a warrant for failure to appear for jury duty. :D

Well the B&E culprit was his roommate so when that was all cleared up the caller came in for the warrant

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
I see things have not changed at all at NU.
Scott, don't sweat it. It was the responding officers job to request you to run him in the first place and they should have had more information than you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.