dispatchers and police | MassCops

dispatchers and police

Discussion in 'Dispatch / Communications' started by btbamfan90, Sep 22, 2013.

1. btbamfan90

btbamfan90 MassCops Member

Do you think every police officer could be a dispatcher? And could every dispatcher be a police officer?

Many dispatchers, from what I have seen, would like to move from the desk to the road. If someone was a bad dispatcher, could they make a great police officer? Or could a great police officer make a horrible dispatcher.

Thoughts??

2. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

A great police officer can definitely make a bad dispatcher. Generally because they are forced there and are pissed off.

Duff112 and Harley387 like this.
  3. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

Some dispatchers would make good officers, others scare me just being in dispatch turn em loose on the streets and i'd be terrified.

Duff112 and LGriffin like this.
  4. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Most of us were trained to work from the inside out as use of technology is required and it's the same program in booking. So, it's possible, but cops would rather be outside. Sitting inside while the shit hit the fan outside is stressful. The only caveat: senior guys (those approaching retirement) who resistant to the current technology in dispatch and thus, have little ability or desire to work there.

With regard to dispatchers being police officers, i'd say it's a very small percentage. I started out as a part-time cop who took a full-time job in dispatch until I got on the job full-time. Some of the connected "dispatchers" I worked with should have been confined to collating TPS reports in storage room B. It's even worse when you're on the street relying upon them.o_O

5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

My view is not the most popular at my job where we have only civilian dispatchers, but I've always felt it should be one and one. (most feel the civilians should be replaced entirely-nothing personal, just bidness) One civilian, one police officer. Yeah, for the younger guys being inside CAN drive you nuts, and even some of us older guys, but the knowledge of what's going on, where things are and how people are in person can be invaluable on the INSIDE. I'm not a believer that only cops can be effective dispatchers. We've got some good ones and some GREAT ones (not all of either would be great cops) plus, you don't have to put a civilian dispatcher through the same training and give them the same equipment as a police officer and in these belt tightening times, save the bucks for those items and programs you really need.

Keep the cop inside also to act as booking officer or to take out the wagon (if you have one and it's not a patrol wagon) thus still leaving someone inside but having the resource of that person who CAN go outside. Plus, I'm getting to that point where I'd like to be inside on those especially cold raining or snowy nights, if I have to go in to work at all.

I've dispatched, I'm NOT great, but I don't do it a lot and though I might NEVER achieve greatness, with practice comes improvement. I wouldn't mind the opportunity for improvement.

6. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

The best way for a civilian dispatcher not to invite heartbreak is to accept the reality that you're most likely not considered "part of the team" by the majority of the officers and even if you get on the job many will think you stole the job from someone more deserving.

Individual experiences may vary and my opinion doesn't reflect on either of the departments I work for.

mtc likes this.
  7. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Like Kilvinsky, I have dispatched when I was told to fill in. I know enough about the job to realize how hard it is, and to respect the professionals who do it well. Some don't do it well, unfortunately.

Apples and oranges.

USM C-4

From the Hub City of the South

============================
    "Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull." - Arya Stark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kilvinsky likes this.
  8. btbamfan90

btbamfan90 MassCops Member

I understand not being considered "part of the team" but isnt dispatching a good way to get some experience in a police department? I figure someone who has been dispatching for a couple years, even part time, will know more than someone who has been working at a non LE job. Not sure if that is true or not, just my opinion.

9. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

One would hope that would ring true.... But as Red used to say.

mtc likes this.
  10. Kilvinsky

I do kind of agree with Hank Moody, it's been discussed MANY times in other threads, but what the heck. I've said before dispatchers are unsung heroes and a good one, is a blessing. Many good ones are represented here.

11. mrsvensven

mrsvensven New Member

I've done both jobs. I'll agree with some of the earlier posts, it's really apples and oranges. The two jobs are totally different and require very different skills.

Out here in the small towns of central MA, it seems like dispatch is mostly ignored until someone screws up. It's my opinion that dispatchers should be required to do regular ride-alongs with the sworns and that sworns should be required to sit in dispatch just to observe every once in a while, but of course that never happens.

Kilvinsky likes this.
  12. Kilvinsky

We try to get our dispatchers out now and then (11-7 is best about it) just so they have an idea where these places they send us to are like and what the general atmosphere is around there. It's very useful to them and more often than not I hear at least once, "Wow, when did THAT go up."

The dispatcher will often reply to me, "Two years ago, dipshit."