Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I came across an employment ad for the local pd...for dispatchers.It states applicant should be E-911 certified in Massachusetts...How do I go about getting certified? Please let me know.
Thank you,
TJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am not sure if you have to have a department sponsor you. When I got certified, I was sent by my department. I would definitely apply for the job because if the department likes you and wants to hire you, sending you to a couple days of 911 school is not a HUGE deal. You might be able to send yourself; not sure how much it costs...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. From the preliminary info I have been getting...you do have to be sponsered to get training. But I came across another website offering trainging in Massachusetts that does not require sponsership...just pay $600 for the course. So I'm not really sure which one it is.
Any ideas on what the hiring application process is like (generally)?
Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
121 Posts
The course that is $600 could be something like APCO or PowerPhone, some departments will send dispatchers to these courses, some won't. They are not the same as E911 training. The E911 Course trains you to use the actual 911 phone.

As fas as hiring goes...
I would just say start putting in applications...it is hard to get a job without experience but not impossible. The APCO or PowerPhone courses may help you with something to put on your resume for training. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me...

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
The 600 class is not e-911, and you can not be self-sponcered for it. That class is offered free to departments, and is held in a few locations state-wide.

What community is this for?

I think requesting a 911 cert. is basically asking for some prior experience.
It is NOT easy to train a dispatcher, and many do not make it through training becasue
1) the job sucks, it has to be in your heart to do it
2) computer skills are a must, many dont know this
3) you'll be in over your head if you dont know anything about the services you work for (police, fire, ems)
4) they just dont get it in general.
You may not be cut out for the job, and they'de rather get someone that already knows their stuff and is inthe field than take a chance on sending you to all sorts of classes and train you, just to have you quit.

That being said, go for it anyways if you're really interested! I thoroughly enjoy it, I cant get enough hours on the desk right now! A nice resueme / letter of intrest will say alot about yourself and your goals before anyone meets you. PM me if you have any questions...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mactj2,

I work the desk once in awhile. You do need to be sponsored by a hiring agency to attend the E911 class. Numerous departments will hire people w/o any experience. You need to show them you want to learn, and have an interest in police/fire/ems. Most people use dispatching as a stepping stone to get a part-time PO/FF jobs. The E911 class shows you how to operate the PSAP, and all of its functions. Its a snoozer of a class. As for paying $600 for a non E911 class forget it. Wait until you are doing the job and get sent for free to dispatch training classes. If you need any questions answered let me know.
Ogzee28:t:

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have to be sent by a department get your 911 cert.

mactj2 said:
Hi,
I came across an employment ad for the local pd...for dispatchers.It states applicant should be E-911 certified in Massachusetts...How do I go about getting certified? Please let me know.
Thank you,
TJ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again to everyone who replyed!! One more question though...Can an ambulance company sponser you for E-911...or does it have to be a police department?
Thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
An ambulance service can sponsor you for E-911 training. I know dispatchers that work for a few services that have contracts with city's and towns in Massachusetts and have been trained. But if you are trying for a dispatch job with a city or town apply for that. Many towns will hire people with no training for part time work, start out that way and see if the job is for you. i have dispatched for over 6 years and love the job, but it has to be in your blood to do the job. You really do have to love working with the public and have the ability to speak with people about anything.

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
I find it 'interesting' that SETB would accept anyone into its classes that will not sit infront of a 911 terminal (PSAP is Public Safety Answering Point, a location where 911 calls are accepted, since you probably dont know what that meant).

None the less, just wory about getting on the job, they pay for the rest after that....
Some depts will send you to "dispatcher accademy" regardless of prior training, and the APCO, EMD, E911 and other classes are all part of that 5 week program. 911 class is booring enough, nevermind having already taken it before... its a 16 hr class to teach you 4hrs worth of material....

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are LOTS of dispatch jobs out there. I interviewed at 2 agencies, and got offered by both. I had no prior experience. It's all in the interview. I also attended the recent 5 week SETB academy which taught me quite a bit. I would wait until you got hired before eben looking into it as I don't believe you can get in without a city sponsoring you, but I may be wrong.

P.S. CuriousEMT is dead on about the 911 class.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd also like to add that dispatching can be quite lucrative if your willing towork some overtime. It is a very fast growing field that is being seen as more and more important as time goes on. It is also quite enjoyable, IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.