Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
The Wentworth Institute Police Department in conjunction with Powerphone will be hosting a 3 day Law Enforcement Dispatch course in March. The course dates are Mar. 10-12, 2003 anybody interested in attending can sign up by calling PowerPhone directly at 1-800-537-6937 or visit their web page at www.powerphone.com

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
I've only been a member of this forum for a couiple of weeks, so I missed this post when it was first posted.
But does anyone know when abnd where one can get 911 certified or trained as a dispatcher?

"gotta build up that Resume boy!"

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
hmmmm... a police department?

Just like getting the training for LE you really need to be working for a PD to get dispatcher training and 911 certified.

Try the paper or this board for job postings, many cities and towns take you with no experience and will train you, some expect you to train for free (i think Plainville is that way) some pay minim wage while training.

I started with Norton PD (police/fire dispatch) it was part time on call but it was a good learning experience.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No, You have to be employed by an agency that is either a PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point) or Secondary PSAP.

It is also true to become certified with APCO, NAED and others. You need to be employed part time or full time.

I would suggest getting in some place part time and see if they will sponsor you for classes and courses. Starting this fall SETB (State 911) will be offering their 5 week Dispatchers Academy for free but you will have to be employed by a public safety agency. This includes local, county, regional and state agencies to include state colleges and universities. It is my understanding the private ambulance services and colleges will not be ellegible.

There are places that hire part time dispatchers. You will have to look around. Look here because people are always posting jobs that come up on LEAPS. Wish I could be more help. Oh maybe if you know a chief he would sponosr you to take classes or courses.

Jeremie

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Probably, I would say talk to the liason between the Aux's and the regular dept, or whoever is in charge of training. The worst they can say is "no".

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mortal Knight I echo Mikey. I would ask the powers to be in your dept. Let them know it is something you want to do. But make sure this is what you want to do for a career. It is a lot of time and money to invest if it is just a job. Also more and more agencies are not looking at it as a stepping stone into full time police or firefighting career.

Jeremie

·
1,952 Posts
Jeremie

Where can I find out more information about this state dispatcher's academy? I checked the MCOA webpage but couldnt find a link. I went to the SETB webpage and found info on a few day training programs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Crvtte65 and others,

There are no links for the 5 week Massachusetts Communications Officers Academy as of yet. SETB will have a schedule up some time in August or the beginning of September. The schedule and other information will be on their website.

To learn about past MCO Academy classes please visit www.ma911.org. This is the Massachusetts Communications Supervisors Association website. They are the group set sets the curiculum for the academy.

I hope this helps.

Jeremie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.