Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am currently working as a patrol officer and one of my Lt. had asked about here he could find some info on training for dispatchers ?? anyone have ideas we are a college campus is there such thing as a college dispatch training ?? thanks for any help you send my way !!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Brian,

Several years ago two associations were created the Massachusetts Communications Officers Association (MCOA) and the Massachusetts Communication Supervisors Association (MCSA).

The MCSA created a 5 week Dispatch Academy wich in my professional is in the top 5 in the country. This academy covers every area LEAP, Basic Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMD, CPR, and more. So basicaly all a Dept has to do after is some OJT.

The SETB (Mass E911) now runs this academy. I would suggest all your Dispatchers old or new take it. I would also Suggest appointing and training someone as a Communications Training Officer (CTO) this is the Dispatch version of a FTO.

Keep your eyes put for a in-service program for Dispatchers. The MCSA and MCOA are working with the SETB right now on that.

Any Questions please feel free to email me.

Jeremie Meyer
Emergency Services Dispatcher
Camp Arifjan (Kuwait)
"Protecting Those Who Defend America"

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a dispatch supervisor I would suggest a basic dispatch course, there are several out there but APCO is highly recommened. You can even take these classes on line. Then another very important class for call takers/dispatchers is Handling the Suicicde Caller. These are very stressful calls and dispatchers are ill prepared when they get them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Brian,

For just the classes check out APCO, Priority Dispatch, Power Phone n a search engine but the classes Cheryl mentioned are all part of the dispatch academy that the SETB puts on. I still highly suggest calling them for details.

Remember it is free.

Jeremie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.