Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a dispatch has once again been attacked in the supposed safety for the dispatch center. Thank god this time the dispatcher was not killed but once again it brings up the issue of safety and security in the dispatch center.

A few months ago a dispatcher was killed by a suspect that was being booked in the very next room. This time someone was able to just walk right in and beat this dispatcher.

Do not be fooled just because these incidents happened down south. I have been to a lot of dispatch centers in Mass and other parts of the state and trust me it can happen in a lot of them.

Here is the article about the latest incident.

911 Dispatcher Back At Work Following Attack
Officials Mull Ways To Boost Security

POSTED: 10:32 p.m. CDT August 27, 2003
UPDATED: 10:41 p.m. CDT August 27, 2003

HEAVENER, Okla. -- A Heavener emergency dispatcher is recovering from a beating that authorities said she received while on the job.

The female dispatcher was allegedly beaten by a man who entered the building through an unlocked door that led to the dispatch center.

The victim is back on the job, although the suspect is still at large, authorities said.

The sheriff of the facility said he is trying to secure federal funds to pay for additional video cameras to provide surveillance of the dispatch facility. "I'm afraid for my people if they don't have the proper security system," the sheriff said.

Donna Howe, a LeFlore County 911 dispatcher, says she worries about safety on the job.

"It scared the daylights out of you because you figure that if you are in the dispatch area, you should be safe, and then something like that happens and it makes you realize that maybe you are not as safe as you thought you were," she said.

Heavener Police Chief Mike Wendall said he is looking at ways to increase security at the dispatch center.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is the exact reason why I carry a firearm when I dispatch in my town. I don't wanna be a victim like these other dispatchers who get attacked or killed doing there job in an area where they think there safe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That brings up a good subject.

Are there dispatchers out there that carry while working dispatch? Now I am not talking sworn officers filling in dispatch for the town they work for as a police officer. I am talking someone that works just as a dispatcher for that community.

If you do carry, does your dept cover you if something happens?

I know of one person that use to be a part time officer for the town he works in as a dispatcher. He is now working only as a dispatcher and carries a gun. I do not know if the town has ok'd it but I know the union president for the dispatchers is not too happy.

I do not carry at work and only the PO's carry when they are working dispatch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dispatchers shouldn't have to carry. They should be in a secured room with no access by the public. In Illinois we're not allowed to carry anyway so it's a moot topic. That idiot sheriff in that article is going to waste money on cameras when he should be going to Ace hardware to buy some locks. As usual the administrators don't get it.

On a side note officers don't work in dispatch here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.