Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any dispatcher have any info on a paging system (communicator) to send out messages on a pager or through text message. If so, my department is interested in looking into one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i worked for an ambulance company that used that system. once the call was booked into rightcad and assigned to an ambulance, it was automatically paged to the crew of that rig. the dispatchers could also send individual pages to any combination of employees. all employees, managers, medics, basics, on duty etc etc. i can say, without fail, the every time i ever got a page other than my call info it was "can you bring me back a coffee".

it worked out really well. the initial page consisted of: run number, pickup time(if other than NOW) pickup location/address and destination if rescheduled plus any specials(door code, the dog bites irishmen etc). after the call was logged as complete in the computer, rightcad automatically paged the run number and times for the call. from a legal standpoint, its really good when the times in the computer and the times on my run sheet are identical.

sorry, but the only thing i can tell you about the system is that it is either part of or seamlessly interfaces with zoll rescuenet.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
My department uses USAMobility. It allows the user to page officers individually or in specified groups. For instance, our groups include "details and General Broadcast" for all officers, Patrolmen and Specials. Then we have union patrolmen only as well. We are issued alphanumeric pagers, but you can have it sent to your phone as well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
curious....About what percentage of police departments that you are aware of ,have access to the internet or even a television while on duty ? How do you , if questioned by anyone, justify having either ?
Our Detectives have internet access, but no one else can listen to an am/fm radio in the station, watch tv discreetly, use the internet or a DVD player...
I think reading the news on a screen looks better than having a newspaper spread out in front of you..no station walk-ins know what your reading while you are gazing at a screen - could be official business..
What about your agency ? Are you SP, EPO, T, College or local ? - Is one species of police granted more priv ? By the way, I promise not to respond to any insulting comments, again. if I've had a few beers,.... but I may play devil's advocate..can't resist.. I am inquisitive so pardon my tactics to elicit info .. I'm nosey

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Pagers are awesome, they are cheap and dead on reliable, since they use good frequencies and the networks are less complex then cellular networks. I know the USA Mobility pager I have for the hospital works on 152.480, I can get pages clearly anywhere in New England. Pagers are still very big in the healthcare field

·
Registered
561 Posts
My department uses InfoRad as well, specifically their "Wireless Office" application. It is a regular Windows program that has the capability to send alphanumeric messages via the Internet or a telephone modem. Theoretically it will work with any paging or cellular provider that has an appropriately accessible Internet access portal or modem bank. We mostly utilize it for pagers, but also use it with several Nextel cellphones.

Their website is at http://www.inforad.com if anyone is interested.

·
Special...
382 Posts
I wish my department used a pager system. It would be very useful.

@ Loyal, my department lets us dispatchers watch TV. In fact the TV we have has never been shut off since it was installed 10 years ago. It gets muted when we get a hot call but that is about it.

We had the internet on the workstation computers but it was removed due to security reasons. We just had comcast come in and set us up with our own connection instead. As long as we are doing our jobs they management is happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts