Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you hear about dispatchers being laidoff :(
please post the info here. I have heard with the 37 or so civilians laidoff in the Springfield Police Dept this past week several of them were Dispatchers. I am trying to confirm this and if so the # of Dispatchers laidoff.

·
Registered
410 Posts
In the Brockton Emptyprize there was an article the other night that quoted the West Bridgewater Police Chief that if they don't dip in to the town's rainy day fund they will lay off all three civilian dispatchers.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was laid off from my dipatch job in my town. :confused: I really miss doing my shift i had. Only did it part time. If you want the town I worked for send me a private email.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,660 Posts
Real Bummer for the Dispatchers laid off! Hope the patrolman that has to ride the pine can do the job 1/2 as well! Now you'll see how much we'll miss those lovable mugs!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of 22 civilian dispatchers Springfield Police Dept. has lost 13 of them.
If that was not bad enough they have filled the positions with the police officers. Most probably do not want to be there and they probably have limited experience behind the radio and phone mic.
Oh by they way they make almost $10.00 more an hour then the dispatchers. What a money saver.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,660 Posts
:confused:
Hey! how'd dat happen?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not know but it may have something to do with the dispatchers having a very week union or it is in the police union contract that dispatchers must go before police or something like that.
:confused:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
South Hadley- ........... In anticipation of receiving less state aid next year, selectman plan to cut the current budget of $33,278,460 by $690,000 for the fiscal year that begins July 1,
2003. Town Meeting members will make the final decision on the budget.
Among the recommendations for eliminations are:
* $25,126 in Police Department funding, or the equivalent of a Full-time Dispatcer;
Ok what does this mean for me? Well you got me. Here is where I stand. I am the newest FT Dispatcher in South Hadley (hired 10/02).
We have 4 FT Dispatch positions. 2 have been here for almost 8 years. The other left in November (hired as a police officer in
Northampton). Then there is me. My question is does this one FT dispatchers position being cut mean the one that was never filled after the guy left in November or is it me?
I will be asking the chief this in the coming week. But it is very possible that the one that was never filled was for the cuts during
the current fiscal year and and I am not the chopping block for the next fiscal year.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Jeremie, I would have to say they are 'eliminating' the currently unfilled position. The wording you quote ($25,126 in Police Department funding, or the equivalent of a Full-time Dispatcer) seems to lean more towards "budget trim" than "firing". I can't see a town (even one out in the boonies like S. Hadley!
) going to only two FT dispatchers.

In any case - good luck!!

-Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.