Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time some people on here complain about the preference Vets get with the CS. If you don't like it join the military, serve your country, go play in the giant sandbox across the water, do your time, get out, come back to Mass, get preference. It's as easy as that folks.

Here are some websites to help you people out:

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
I can't argue with you RS. When it comes to those that stepped up and put their name AND ass on the line, if it buys them a more favorable place in line; SO BE IT.

Vets ensure all of the liberties we enjoy in this great country are protected.

College is great, we need great thinkers and educated minds. But it's our warriors that preserve our Republic, not great thinkers.

Bumping them up on a CS list is a small price to pay for the sacrifice they make for all of us.

Personally, I would really take a dim view of anyone who begrudged a vet a few points on a CS exam.

G

·
Remember, Quinn was enacted to encourage police officers, mostly viet nam era vets at the time, to seek degrees.
The Quinn Bill arose after a study in the 1960's showed that police officers in Massachusetts were the least educated in the entire country. Now, I would wager we are the most educated of any government entity in the world by a large margin.

So of course, now the geniuses at the Beacon Hill Institute want to cut it. :rolleyes:

Though I would not put it past the legislature, I do not think they have the stones to cut Quinn as a matter of routine business. That said, I do see them possibly trying to limit new enrollees.
The only way they could alter it without incurring an absolute tsunami of lawsuits would be to grandfather anyone already in the program, and even then it would be a nightmare of litigation and bad feelings.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I totally agree 100 percent...Vets deserve preference....I follow all the threads pretty closely.....Im not second guessing anyone but I dont remember anyone complaining about Vet status...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Took me less than a year to get on the job after being discharged from active duty as a vet, those it took 10 years or so to get on, didn't agree... but a buddy of mine in WV named his son after me for a deed I did in Iraq. Explain that to those whose biggest rush has only been a foot chase.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally agree 100 percent...Vets deserve preference....I follow all the threads pretty closely.....Im not second guessing anyone but I dont remember anyone complaining about Vet status...
It's been brought up a few times like Koz said. ProudAmerican made a good point in another thread about Vet preference yesterday and this came to mind.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
"Who,....who does not like the vet preference!?"

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
No Quinn, no details, no academies.....wtf....

Deval isn't making very many friends among LE. That being said, if they disolve the Quinn bill, people whom would look at police work as an exciting career AND a good way to provide for their families will seek out other career opportunities.

On top of that, you go west/south you get about the same pay, take home cruiser, and lower cost of living.....

I predict down the line, if all of this starts happening....police exams will be as frequent as the DOC exams...

G

·
The legislature could defund or amend Quinn tomorrow.
Actually, they couldn't. Someone in either the house or senate (or both) would have to draft legislation that eliminated or altered Section 108L of Chapter 41 of the MGL, it would be subject to public hearings, committee hearings, then pass the necessary committees before going to a full vote of the legislature. If it passes all that, it goes to the governor for his signature. All that would take considerably longer than one day.

Anyway, who would you sue? The legislature? I am no con law professor but I am pretty sure they are immune from being sued for doing their legisative duty (voting). If Deval unilaterally changed it as part of his crusade I think he would be exposed to legal action.
They can certainly vote the law out of existence, but if they simply don't fund something which the law states shall be funded, there's certainly room there for judicial review.

In any case, the majority of the lawsuits would be against the municipalities, unless there is specific language in the CBA which states the city/town shall not foot the entire bill if the state reneges on their portion. I don't think even Coupe Deval is stupid enough to incur that kind of wrath from 200+ cities & towns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is definitely a subject that people have a lot of heated conversations about. This site particularly has a lot of veterans so it's always one-sided. I will give my two cents being a veteran and someone who has earned master's degree.
Now I do agree that Veterans deserve some type of preference. It should be 5 points on a civil service exam. Period. If you score an 85 (including the 5 additional points) an a non-veteran scores an 86, then the non-veteran should be hired.
A lot of people say if you want be a cop in MA, then join the military to get the extra help. Well, I can say first hand that I have come across guys who joined the military just because they were indecisive on what to do with their life, could not afford college or too stupid to accepted. I personally feel that only military personnel who have experienced combat should get this preference or someone who actually joined the service for the main reason of "honoring this country and fighting for everyone's freedom" and doing 20 yrs and retiring.Are there morons who go to college?
A lot of Veterans don't want to give college graduates any additional preference. For some of you who have gone to college, you can understand that doing a term paper isn't the easiest of tasks. MA has the Quinn Bill which is fortunate for those who possess a degree and gives them that little extra. Do I think that military experience is a great experience? Most definitely! I just think that there has to be an easier way for a hiring process. A college grad who has always wanted to be a PO really has an outside chance compared to someone who decided to go into the service for 4 yrs, who typically only enlisted because they had no goals at that current time in their life. Let's also keep in mind that this college student had most likely racked up a $100K plus in tuition loans.
I am not trying to start any heated conversations here, but it just should be noted how inpartial the process is here in our state of MA. I always suggest to non-veterans to apply to a federal agency. It is a great avenue and tremendous experience. Of course I love my fellow brothers in the military, local, state and corrections LE.
Please stay safe gentlemen.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The State Police 2 point preference is an example of the system that should be used. It would be tough to pull the rug out from under those currently serving so there would have to be some sort of sunset clause if the system is ever changed. I know some great vet cops but there were several in my academy that were there just because the fire department didn't call them first. My brother was considered a vet under civil service even though he was never within a thousand miles of combat. He never had a thought in the back of his mind of taking a cs test but did so after he found out about the preference. He backed out of a Boston Fire job at the last second. He had no interest in becoming a firefighter but applied just because he thought he was entitled to it.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
If you don't like the way veterans preference is given in MA then move the fuck out.

Any man or woman that serves their country deserves it,and you can not
compare it to writing a term paper in college.

The reason it is one sided on MassCops is because the veterans on this site have have not hid in some college dorm partying smoking pot and
protesting god knows what else. They have done their job protecting
you and your rights serving in the Armed Services.

It makes my blood boil when comments are made about taking anything
away from a veteran that they have earned.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,750 Posts
I don't think anything should be taken from vets although i do prefer the MSP form of preference over the Civil Service. However i also don't think it would be outrageous to give college graduates some type of preference in the examinations. I think both service and higher education are assets to any department.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,750 Posts
the preference the college graduates receive is the education that allows them to comprehend the reading passages, etc. opposed to say just a HS grad?
thats not a preference, that would be an advantage, like military vets having an advantage over non vets in the physical aspects of the examinations and academy do to their superior training.

·
Had enough
3,270 Posts
Regardless of whether they have seen combat or not. They signed up knowing full well that they could be put in harms way at anytime. I think the preferance is the least we can do for the Vets. If it wasnt for them we woulnd have anything. I also feel that they should get free health care for life. I am not a Veteran. I do respect and admire all of our Military. Thank you.

·
G-Rap made me do it!
2,750 Posts
Regardless of whether they have seen combat or not. They signed up knowing full well that they could be put in harms way at anytime. I think the preferance is the least we can do for the Vets.
Agreed

1 - 20 of 85 Posts