Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I figured it may happen someday. I was stopped for a red light violation yesterday morning at 6:20 a.m., in the light snow, and wet road conditions. Now even though I've been "out of the loop" for the past year, I'd still like to think that officers are using discretion. This was NOT the case here. I don't think I complain about much, but I figured some of you may enjoy this one. I was exactly 1/5 of a mile from my home when this happened. As I came upon an intersection, the light turned YELLOW. Now I know most of you are aware of 89-9, and the "stop, if safe to do so" rule. Add to the fact that to my left, there was already a crusier clearly visible at the light facing west making a right turn to go north. The cruiser that stopped me was coming from the east direction of the intersection. At this point, there was no way to stop safely with the current conditions. So, I was pulled over. "She" asked me, "Did you see the red light?" I replied, "I saw it change to yellow." She comes back, hands me my $50.00 citation and says "You need to slow down at those YELLOW lights." and walked away. That was verbatim to the extent of conversation. Thoughts and comments are welcome...I'm going to love this one! And yes, I will be appealing(automatic "four" for her).

·
MassCops Founder
6,403 Posts
You would have got off cheaper in Attleboro, they want us to write red light violations under 720 CMR 9.06 because 89-9 says nothing about a solid red light.

Hmmm... might be a reason to fight it

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by Burner1:
And yes, I will be appealing(automatic "four" for her).
Best of luck to you, Burner. Just illustrate the scenario in court like you did here, hopefully the judge/magistrate will see things your way. By the way, she'll only get the o/t if you go for second hearing.

·
Subscribing Member
4,405 Posts
I hate to say it but you sound like the rest of the whiners in court when I hear the traffic appeals. Change your story ,because the clerk-magistrate hear the same old sob story every time, Why me, Oh me?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, well, well..JB1971. How many of those "whiners" are 5 year veterans of a local P.D. Of which, used in my humble opinion, used very good discretion during those years. Are you the type of officer that gives money citations for minor traffic offenses at the crack of dawn with no other traffic present? Not to mention the overall circumstances. If you are, I'm sure your department if benfiting greatly from your great attitude and wisdom towards the public. In my experience, Judges see this and even if I thought I was right, gave the benefit of the doubt to the violator. As an added note, after being in a combat zone and watching tracer fire whiz by my head, I have very little to "whine" about. I'll excuse the ignorance. Maybe, after I ace the April exam, get my "vet" preference, and experience points (possibly), get re-hired in my new city, I'll take your attitude and screw the public. I do not think so.

·
Subscribing Member
4,405 Posts
Are you the type of officer that gives money citations for minor traffic offenses at the crack of dawn with no other traffic present?
I stop everyone and cite the ones that earned the citation. Good pretextual stops lead to great arrests.

I'm sure your department if benfiting greatly from your great attitude and wisdom towards the public.
Yes they are, that is why I am assigned as traffic enforcement officer.

In my experience, Judges see this and even if I thought I was right, gave the benefit of the doubt to the violator.
Wrong, judges hear your same old sob story and then they say "I'll take it under advisement", just no to break your heart because he finds the violator responsible.

As an added note, after being in a combat zone and watching tracer fire whiz by my head, I have very little to "whine" about. I'll excuse the ignorance.
I am not going to share my war stories of but I still obey the law as a police officer and regardless of my brushes with death experiences and other commando stories.

Maybe, after I ace the April exam, get my "vet" preference, and experience points (possibly), get re-hired in my new city, I'll take your attitude and screw the public. I do not think so.
Good luck on the test and I hope you will be a good police officer and hope you don't become another minimalist and whiner. We have enough of them on the job already. Traffic Enforcement is an important part of community policing, because you are improving the quality of life to everyone in your community. Education through enforcement.

Well, there you go again, trying to justify your mistake by rationalizing. The law does not change between 12AM-6AM. Anyway, i still think you are "whinning". :D

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Sorry to get of topic but....Actually Joe B, Most depts you get 4 hrs miniumun for court, I never head of only getting it if there is a second hearing. If its over 40 then its OT no matter how u cut it. My dpet gives us 4 Hrs OT off the top if we even step foot in the court house. I imagine most depts r like that. Didn't mean to get off topic it just didnt make sence what u said. Not to offend you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
macop,
I think what he was referring to was this; the first hearing goes to the court officer and then if it gets appealed after that the actual officer gets called in. Thus, we have OT. Don't you know this? Or does the Bernardston Highway Patrol lack a court officer?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I dont read hidden meanings wise asses. And yea we have a court officer. Anyway Punk zero, hahaha when you working up this way again? Friday, If so gimme a ring. Im back to my regular days off sun mon and tues

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Burner, what are you complaining about? You ARE whining about a silly little traffic citation! I would think that a "combat zone" veteran would have a little more honor than you display in your rant about being stopped. So what if she gets four hours of OT, she probably deserves it. What do you care?

Your post has all the tell-tale signs of a wanna be. Real officers don't moan about such things. Did you tell her you were a former police officer? If I stop an officer (either retired or active), I always cut them a break, unless they are doing something REALLY stupid. Also, people's attitudes are what sometimes earn them a citation. If I get attitude from a citizen, they get a citation from me. If they pay me a little respect, then that factors into my consideration of giving them a warning or a money citation. I get the feeling your mouth got the better of you (as it seems in your posts too), and you probably earned yourself that ticket.

Lastly, why are you putting "she" in quotes? Are you offended that a female police officer pulled you over? For someone who claims to be a 5 year police officer, you don't show many signs of being professional. I have a female Sgt, and she is an outstanding police officer, and a good friend.

If you make it to a department, I wish you luck. But lose the attitude first. We deal with enough nitwits on the road, we don't need them on the inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You know what, if you are a former cop then you must know people. Just take the ticket and call someone and maybe they might know the officer and ask for consideration, If you had been an OUI would you have wanted her to let you off or give you a ride home.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I knew this post would get it going.

As for rpdmounted, have you seen some of the spelling, grammar and sentence structure used on this board? Respect? Since when is it given and not earned? As far as the "she" comment, if you have read my previous posts on female police officers, you would understand. In this case, not only was "she" approximately 45-50 pounds overweight, her uniform looked like crap (did not dry clean, dryer fuzz ball covered), and a tactically unsound approach/retreat of stop. As for 4 hours of O.T., I do not need to remind people of the current economic crisis. In Woburn District Court, the appeals are called first. So, your in there tops, 1/2 hour, with an automatic "4" at appx. $20/hr(conservative for patrolman)= $80. If I'm a tax payer of that community, I would care. If it's the difference between the homeowners taxes being raised or laying off police and fire, what way do you think the taxpayer is going to vote? Even when I was full-time, I still voted "no" on the 2 1/2 overide. Finally, "wanna be", please explain to the audience what that is. I know there are people on this board who "want to be" hired, or hired to full-time status.

rmauro95, the call has already been made. "She" did not give me time for any conversation. I don't think she even noticed the MPA sticker on the front windshield. If I read your profile correctly, your in Waltham? How's Florio and Dave doing?

Irishpride, thanks for keeping the archives!

q5_po, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!" Spend anytime with the 3707th?

To conclude, the original post was meant to be humorous. Obviously, I struck a nerve with some. As with most of my posts, I try not to degrade anyone. What I try to do is encourage independent thought. Trying to help make a better police officer. The old school days are over...

·
Registered
145 Posts
No I did not spend any time with that unit.

Second, why do you have an MPA sticker on your windshield if you are not a Police Officer?

Ch 266 s 69: "The sticker is the official insignia of the Ma Police Assn as registered in the Office of the Secretary of State. In this form the insignias will be known only to police officers, and are for use on the rear window of automobiles registered to members of the Massachusetts Police Association only."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.