Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you firearm law experts...

I live in a semi-rural area, on about an acre of land. I have neighbors on either side of me with a small amount of woods seperating us.

There have been a lot of coyote spotted in the area lately, and I am wondering, if they are on my property either threatening or attacking my dog is it legal for me to discharge my firearm into the ground to scare them away, or if necessary shoot them.

Any action would of course be followed up with an immediate phone call to my local police dept., to make them aware of the situation.

Thanks

·
At your six
209 Posts
Try using a crossbow. The same discharge rules apply for feet from houses and roadway. With the crossbow you won't have to worry about phone calls from the neighbors regarding a loud gun shot.

If the animal is attacking your dog or family member I'm sure you could justify it's use.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
FYI. Some towns and cities (Boston for the most part) are retarded and have no protocol for animal destruction and will treat it like a homicide

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
Be careful! You CANNOT shoot your firearm within 500 ft. of a dwelling if you are just dischcharging it to scare the animal away. If the coyote comes on to your property you are not authorized to shoot it unless it is threatening or attacking livestock, pets, family, etc. They are looking for food, they dislike human contact. Keep your garbage locked up, don't leave pet food out. If there is no food source, they will move along.

Just a couple of tips from East Podunk. Go ahead city guys and super troopers, let it out, I know you want to laugh!!:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chief. I knew about the 500 feet I just wasn't sure I could protect my dog the same way I could protect my family.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
chief801";p="68141 said:
Be careful! You CANNOT shoot your firearm within 500 ft. of a dwelling if you are just dischcharging it to scare the animal away. :)
Chief,

Did you REALLY have to admonish J809 about discharging his weapon to keep the birds from pooping in his pool. He claims it was a threat to his health......................
:wink:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just an idea but what about getting a paintball gun the sting of the paintball might be enough to scare it away. i don't know.... I've never come in contact with coyote but works on a the dog up the street that won't stop shitting in my yard. No calls need to the station, animal rights people might get pissed but I got enough of my own dogs shit to pick up. :A!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts