Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to how difficult it is to get hired by Tufts? I heard that they have an outstanding department and that it is near possible to get onto... Any truth to that....
:?:

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
Re: Difficulty level of attaining a position at Tuft Univers

Mark, I dont know if you started straight out on the job your on now, of if you climbed the ladder from security, to dispatching, campus policing, etc to get to where you want to be, but some people actually dont want to F off until they get on where they want. Maybe you should just avoid contributing to topics found in this petty Campus&University section.

I'm not going to BS anyone and say I dont put more energy into getting Municipal jobs than I do Campus jobs, but you have to start somewhere, and tough-to-get-onto college jobs require knowledge of just who gets looked at before interviews.

I dont know too much about Tufts, other than having friends that have interviewed there and not gotten on.

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts

MarkBoston @ 03 Oct 2004 20:50 said:
If you are going to expend energy on a position in law enforcement go for an appointment to a municipal police department. If you have no success, then apply for a educational law enforcement position. Depending on the municipal department you'll make more money and have a broader range of duties then with school law enforcement.
MarkBoston,

More money? Next time you are in Boston stop by and we can compare paychecks

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts

I am sure you got that information off the Human Resources web site that has not been updated in a few years. Not to toot the department horn but, since you posted some incorrect information. Our officers are mid to upper 40's and the Sgt. are well into the 50's base pay. The $16.30 is a little outdated. Like I said before stop by and we will compare paychecks sometime.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok well..ummm thanks for all the great responses.. didn't realize it was a testosterone war.. too bad I have ovaries.. and can't compete..
My intentions were not to compare municipal cops to campus cops... nor did I want this post to make its way to comparing paycheck...

All Im trying to find out is if Tufts was a decent place to work.. I work at a college now and enjoy the work I do.. took the civil service and scored high... Have my Masters in Criminology and plenty of certs to go with that... I have the reserve academy.. no "real" academy because I got waived... so.. I hope Im heading in the correct direction.. not sure of what else to do... to get a better job...

So once you guys finish comparing whatever it is that you feel the need to compare... :^o
Please let me know if there are any other things I should be doing..
Thanks for your help..
-PVD24

·
Subscribing Member
4,386 Posts

I seriously doubt that a Wentworth Cop makes anything close to BPD, factor in Quinn Bill,stipends, etc and BPD is off the charts, probably 80K base with a MA in CJ.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Just curious as to how difficult it is to get hired by Tufts? I heard that they have an outstanding department and that it is near possible to get onto... Any truth to that....

PVD24, Tufts is actually a great Dept. to work for (my friend works there) I believe they have just posted a position for an opening. The dept. is well organized, and they all work well together. If you work near the Boston campus, you should stop by and talk with the officers there. The Capt. has her office out of the Boston campus- so you might even be able to talk with her. Good Luck.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts

Mark, Yes, Boston pays well... but guess what? theres a shi# load of other towns and cities in Mass... and they don't all pay that high... There are a few Campus and misc dept's that you can make more than what MOST PO's would get paid at a Local PD....

·
Registered
27 Posts

I currently work at Tufts Police on the 3-11p(4x2) schudule. Its a good dept to work for. If you go to www.tupa.info that has our current union contract on it with the current pay rates. If anyone has anyone has a question about the dept. Please feel free to email me or post here.

eglock72

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts

Tufts- Great union president over there. Seems almost impossible to get in (my point of view).

As far as BPD. Take your 40+ a year and double dipping details and your failure to respond to Other agency assist calls. Something went seriously wrong with that agnecys priorities when you have a response time of an hour and a half for an assistance call. Thanks to Securitas for bailing me out on that one....

G

·

I'd say, save your energy for getting that campus job! Then you can use whatever you have left over to take a 4th grade level aptitude test that comes out every two years and pray your town of residency has more than 14 cents in their budget to hire you!

·
Registered
115 Posts

i applied for a job at tufts. i went into boston campus and spoke to the female capt. she told me that tufts only looks at people with the full time academy. i am not sure if that is still true. they are a good dept. they have sheriffs powers and i believe can write ch. 90 tickets. good luck.

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts

Mark....... I worked at MIT for 8 years and wish, well no, kick my self in the ass for leaving. Their pay is in the mid-50's range just walking in the door attending roll call. And there is no heavy lifting there. Great pay, super benefits, and a pension that can't be touched by any other agency. MIT = the best kept secret in the Commonwealth!

·
Registered
601 Posts

Why do you guys keep feeding in to mark. He is like one giant torque wrench that keeps tweaking away.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.